With All This Tripod Talk...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steward

Reaction score

Well...with all the talk about tripods as a base for launching...it got me to thinking...and that got me to tinkering down in the basement....(sometimes dangerous...!!!)

Got a thingamajig here...and another whatcamacallit over there...what could I come up with...???

Actually realized that with its weight (about 45-50 pounds...old film camera tripod...made very well and HEAVY...) that it could open up and almost sit on the ground...I think it'll work great for most if not all MPR....

What do you guys think...???

Can you give any hints on what item #1 was in its former life?
(and where I might locate something similar?)

It was part of a multi-angle R/C Helicopter workstand...of course it was bigger until I cut it down this morning...

I don't think it would be too difficult to re-create...you'd need access to a metal lathe though....

Holy crap! talk about a footprint! Most camera tripods have 1/3 that footprint. That is crazy large! I think you could easily get away with mounting a rail to that sucker. So long as the center won't collapse under heavy weight, I think you have a winner.

Impressive Sir!

If you take the rubber cups off of the feet...there are large metal points that would dig into the ground...I can't find it but...there is also a chain that connects the legs so that it won't spread any farther than you want it to...(fix that at the hardware store...)

Back