Wiring Help: Eggfinder and Featherlight magnetic switch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomSmith58

Reaction score
Gents,
I am not a Sparky (that's what I hear electrical engineers call themselves). I get confused fast when I have choices when it comes to wiring. So I have am Eggfinder and a Featherlight magnetic switch. I also have a battery. What do I wire to what?
IMG_3658.jpg
The switch has a ground, an +In an an Out. The Eggfinder has just two battery spots. I am used to my RCC3 where I have a terminal block for the switch and one for the battery. Do I take the ground from the battery to the switch ground, the positive from the battery to the switch +In, and then a second ground from the switch ground and a red wire from the switch out, and wire those to the Eggfinder battery?

Thanks
Tom

The GND is a common, connect it to the battery's "-" lead, GND, and the Eggfinder's "-" pad. IN comes from the battery's "+", OUT goes to the Eggfinder's "+".

Even if you put the switch in so that you can disconnect the battery, won't you still have to access the hardware itself to push the button that starts the GPS?

He has the newer version, no on/off button.

Must have missed that somewhere.... or not looked close enough at the actual picture. DOH. Good to know anyhoo... makes yet another reason to buy another (although next is the TRS)

Just a note, the magnetic switches can be touchy. It's easy to turn them on and back of with a single swipe. Since the winner has no audible indicator it is on you will want to add a hole you can put your eye to to see the lights inside. That or add a buzzer or external led.

Why use the mag switch? Simply turn on the EF and button up the bay. I use it nosecone mounted. OK, if one is running marginal battery capacity a long wait on the pad might not be desirable. The mag switch draws a small amount of current so one
should not button up the bay and let it sit for weeks at at time. That also applies to altimeters that draw current for continuity check even with the main switch off. If a manufacturers instructions show two switches, one for off/on of the computer side and one for the pyro circuit, don't just leave the pyro side "on" by direct wiring as the pyro battery will be drained. Kurt

Latest posts

Back