Wireless Video Transmission

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr_rocket04

Reaction score
I am looking for a wireless video system which can transmit a decent looking video signal around 1200-1500 yards, outdoors. The camera would be at ground level, not in the air.

I figured that some folks around here would probably be the ones with wireless transmitter experience and knowing of their usefulness on the ground.

I shoot long-range rifle targets out past 1000 yards, and the trip to the target and back is a long haul. That distance is too far to see your hits on paper, so it really slows you down getting on target.

My idea was that I could use a camera just in front of the target and on the side, and use a transmitter to get that video back to me at the shooting bench with TV.

There is a website I found while searching, and they list 3W, 5W, 10W and 20W models of 1.2GHz and 2.4GHz. I do not know which signal is the more appropriate one for this. I'm wondering if the distances they state are likely to be achieved, or if these are even the right models to be looking at. I guess the biggest concern is powering the unit on a D/C battery out in the field, and just how big of a batt I will need. I don't want to overdo it on antenna wattage, and then run out of battery power.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for setting this system up effectively?

Thanks

If you have line-of-sight then you don't need much wattage for that distance at those kind of frequencies. Any of the b/w or color cameras at 2.4hz should work fine. You should get most of a day out of a set of alkaline batteries. Interference could be an issue. Less so if you are away from traditional sources. You can get a directional antenna which will improve your gain toward the camera.

If you have line-of-sight then you don't need much wattage for that distance at those kind of frequencies. Any of the b/w or color cameras at 2.4hz should work fine. You should get most of a day out of a set of alkaline batteries. Interference could be an issue. Less so if you are away from traditional sources. You can get a directional antenna which will improve your gain toward the camera.

The ones I have seen look like they run on A/C power, I would assume. They look a bit bulky for alkaline batteries. I think you are referring to the camera/TXs they put up in rockets, which are somewhat small.

I figured to guarantee myself the range, at least some sort of decently powered unit would be appropriate, like the ones I linked to.

The land is in the middle of nowhere, and I don't think interference would be an issue.

Have you considered Boostervision? Art has some real nice systems that probably have the kind of range you are looking for. The minigearcam and radome antenna might work.

Also be aware that the higher power models (anything above 100mw if I'm not mistaken...100mw is 0.1 watt) will require an amateur radio license. Both my parent's were competitive marksmen (markspeople?). They used a telescope to spot the targets. Have you considered going this route? Seems like it would be considerably less expensive and less complicated.
Craig

Also be aware that the higher power models (anything above 100mw if I'm not mistaken...100mw is 0.1 watt) will require an amateur radio license. Both my parent's were competitive marksmen (markspeople?). They used a telescope to spot the targets. Have you considered going this route? Seems like it would be considerably less expensive and less complicated.
Craig

I thought that if the signal was encrypted, or keyed between the two devices, that the power could be more than 100mw. I do not know if this is the way the combo operates, though. It may require a license.

I do have a spotting scope, but it is only a 20X. I could probably use a more powerful spotting scope, but I figured that the camera would work best at the longest ranges.

Back