Wireless Router

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kandsrockets

Reaction score
Anyone have one of these routers? Netgear WNR3500 RangeMax Wireless N Router. What do you think of it? I need to replace the junky Belkin I have now. Before I got the belkin I had a linksys but was never happy with the wireless part of it.

I just replaced a Belkin 802.11g router last night with a D-Link DIR-615 with 802.11n. So far, the new router is far superior to the Belkin--easy install, zero problems. Perhaps like yours, the Belkin was horrible--will not ever buy one of their networking products again. The 802.11n speed is great with a compatible laptop we've got.

Every Netgear I have used was crap, although I did not have the model described. I have always liked the Linksys best.

You may want to analyze your wireless.

A tool that I use on my work laptop is Netstmbler. https://www.netstumbler.com/

It is a free tool that allows you to see a bunch of info regarding wireless traffic within range.

It will identify the SSID of the networks in range, their signal strength in db and channel being used among other info. This includes yours.

At least you will be able to analyze you current wireless set-up.

In my home I can walk the rooms in real time and check signal strength.

Its free, although they take donations.
I have used it for years now. No BS associated with it.

Try it out.

Regards,
Wm.

You may want to analyze your wireless.

A tool that I use on my work laptop is Netstmbler. https://www.netstumbler.com/

It is a free tool that allows you to see a bunch of info regarding wireless traffic within range.

It will identify the SSID of the networks in range, their signal strength in db and channel being used among other info. This includes yours.

At least you will be able to analyze you current wireless set-up.

In my home I can walk the rooms in real time and check signal strength.

Its free, although they take donations.
I have used it for years now. No BS associated with it.

Try it out.

Regards,
Wm.

The wireless part of the belkin is not the problem. The problem is that it keeps loosing connection with our satellite box. I have contacted belkin and it is a known problem but they have no fix for it.

I'm not familiar with it. By far the best wireless router I know of (just to use as a simple, reliable router) is the Linksys WRT54GL. It's absolutely rock solid, fairly cheap, and has won the Newegg Customer Choice award thirty-three times

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190&Tpk=WRT54GL

I have used Linksys product before in my own house and in my work. The only problem I have had is they seem to last just past the warrenty and then die.

I just replaced a Belkin 802.11g router last night with a D-Link DIR-615 with 802.11n. So far, the new router is far superior to the Belkin--easy install, zero problems. Perhaps like yours, the Belkin was horrible--will not ever buy one of their networking products again. The 802.11n speed is great with a compatible laptop we've got.

I have looked at the D-Link DIR-665 but after ready a bunch of reviews turned me away from it. The one I listed above has gotten great reviews but I still would like to find someone that has one to see what they think of it before I order one.

I have used Linksys product before in my own house and in my work. The only problem I have had is they seem to last just past the warrenty and then die.

I'm still on my first router, a Linksys I bought back in about 2000. It's running just fine. It's just too damned old, so it's going out to pasture sometime in the next couple of days, to be replaced by a new model Linksys.

I've had one of those ones I linked to for around 6 years now, and it's still going strong.

I have a D-link DIR-615 now, and the only thing it's missing is dual band support (5GHz) and the ability to use 3rd-party firmware. It replaced a really old Netgear router that kept crashing.

My second choice would have been an Apple Airport Extreme.

My parents have the cheap version of the WRT54G (not the WRT54GL) and it's OK but not great.

My parents have the cheap version of the WRT54G (not the WRT54GL) and it's OK but not great.

They should be physically the same as far as the radio circuitry, but the "L" firmware is Linux based and is open source. It can be hacked for more Tx power, among other things.

I have always used Linksys equipment, either home or @ work, It seems to keep working. Right know I'm using a WRT54G, have had it for 3 + years and had no problems that a restart won't solve. I have to restart it about once a month, about the same time M$ does it's OS updates, so I'm thinking that it has to be re-synced with my IPS's servers. I really would like a WTR610, but that is too much $$$'s right now.

I too have the Linksys ..54G and am extremely pleased with it. Belkin and D-Link are on the low end of quality.

If you will EVER need to do any VPN work, avoid Linksys like the plague. Cisco who make Linksys refuses to follow the true VPN standards out there. I do it for a living and when home users are experiencing problems where they cannot connect to our VPN, 9 times out of 10 it's due to a Linksys router. Had one user go out and buy a new Netgear and they were back in business minute after hooking it up.

i just bought a linksys like literally 5 days ago, and it always dumps the connection. not very satisfied with it. plus i lose over 2mbps/sec from plugging the computer directly to the switch, vs. putting it on the crappy linksys. ARG!

If you will EVER need to do any VPN work, avoid Linksys like the plague. Cisco who make Linksys refuses to follow the true VPN standards out there. I do it for a living and when home users are experiencing problems where they cannot connect to our VPN, 9 times out of 10 it's due to a Linksys router. Had one user go out and buy a new Netgear and they were back in business minute after hooking it up.

Word.....:headbang:

Although this happens to me everytime I have to do work at home, I've learned you use it as an excuse.....:rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for your comments. I bought the netgear WNR3500L yesterday and installed it. Installation is simple, took less than 10 minutes. The only problem I had was getting the wifes VPN to her office to work but was no big problem. A couple tweeks and everything is up and running. This thing is way faster than the belkin it replaced. Now since this has gigabit ports I need to upgrade our switch. I will be testing out the range of the wireless later today.

Back