Wire strippers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to say...For years I have used a butane lighter (or old soldering iron) for stripping wire of any gauge if it is not teflon insulated. Don't laugh... It works well and you don't knick the wire causing a break point. Think about it, how many times have any of you stripped a stranded wire only to have several strands break off which can cause that wire to break off completely after installation wherever...If a wire breaks off from your altimeter during flight you will have to say: Houston, We've had a problem...
View attachment 20210617_112945.MP4

Just to say...For years I have used a butane lighter (or old soldering iron) for stripping wire of any gauge if it is not teflon insulated. Don't laugh... It works well and you don't knick the wire causing a break point. Think about it, how many times have any of you stripped a stranded wire only to have several strands break off which can cause that wire to break off completely after installation wherever...If a wire breaks off from your altimeter during flight you will have to say: Houston, We've had a problem...
View attachment 469199

just tried this and it works like a charm, I used a paper towel to grab the burnt plastic to pull it off

For my day job these are the cats meow!
1624048062676.png
#10 down to #22 wire, romex stripper, and the other usual wire stripper features. I have some Kleins I keep in the van but I absolutely love these!
I want the ideal stripmasters for doing fluorescent light ballast changes/upgrades. Great for stubborn insulation!

mainly use the Vise Grip stripper
Teepot, mo2872 and Joshua Smith all like the Vise Grip style, which I've had in a couple of different brands for maybe 10 years. Works great on everything that I’ve run through it.

The MicroMark ones of the same style look a lot like what I have.

I own all of the other options noted, but those have been relegated to a plastic bin holding spare tools that I can loan out (and don’t care if they don’t come back).

Cheers,
Jon

Last edited:
I have a ~30 year old Ideal set that I got on a recommendation from a board assembly tech way back at Linkabit. It's still my go-to for most electronic projects. A few of the Klein style have accumulated over the years but I don't find myself using them all that much.

I strongly considered this but managed with great difficulty to restrain myself.

They are often wiry little creatures.

As for the intended issue, I order a couple new ones to test. I am making a much of 6 inch dipped igniters for smaller Estes, Quest, and Aerotech motors rocket motors. I am test a dip inspired by the forum.

Back