Wire strippers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

beeblebrox

8 C6-0, 12 D11-9, 20 D20-0, 20 E5-0, 3 Cinerocs
Reaction score
Just to say...For years I have used a butane lighter (or old soldering iron) for stripping wire of any gauge if it is not teflon insulated. Don't laugh... It works well and you don't knick the wire causing a break point. Think about it, how many times have any of you stripped a stranded wire only to have several strands break off which can cause that wire to break off completely after installation wherever...If a wire breaks off from your altimeter during flight you will have to say: Houston, We've had a problem...

Rocketless

Reaction score
Just to say...For years I have used a butane lighter (or old soldering iron) for stripping wire of any gauge if it is not teflon insulated. Don't laugh... It works well and you don't knick the wire causing a break point. Think about it, how many times have any of you stripped a stranded wire only to have several strands break off which can cause that wire to break off completely after installation wherever...If a wire breaks off from your altimeter during flight you will have to say: Houston, We've had a problem...
View attachment 469199
just tried this and it works like a charm, I used a paper towel to grab the burnt plastic to pull it off

rklapp

NAR# 109557
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
No stripper is worth more than $20… or $100 depending on your perspective.

The funny part is that most of us knew what you meant in your OP. 🤣

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
No stripper is worth more than $20… or $100 depending on your perspective.

The funny part is that most of us knew what you meant in your OP. 🤣
I have a bunch that is not worth $5 combined.

kenstarr

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For my day job these are the cats meow!
1624048062676.png

#10 down to #22 wire, romex stripper, and the other usual wire stripper features. I have some Kleins I keep in the van but I absolutely love these!
I want the ideal stripmasters for doing fluorescent light ballast changes/upgrades. Great for stubborn insulation!

j.a.duke

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
mainly use the Vise Grip stripper
Teepot, mo2872 and Joshua Smith all like the Vise Grip style, which I've had in a couple of different brands for maybe 10 years. Works great on everything that I’ve run through it.

The MicroMark ones of the same style look a lot like what I have.

I own all of the other options noted, but those have been relegated to a plastic bin holding spare tools that I can loan out (and don’t care if they don’t come back).

Cheers,
Jon

Last edited:

hobie1dog

Hi-Fi Addict
Reaction score
Did you make up your mind on what you're going to get with all the different suggestions?

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I can't believe you people! Not a single joke about very skinny adult entertainers?
I strongly considered this but managed with great difficulty to restrain myself.

caveduck

semi old rocketeer
Reaction score
I have a ~30 year old Ideal set that I got on a recommendation from a board assembly tech way back at Linkabit. It's still my go-to for most electronic projects. A few of the Klein style have accumulated over the years but I don't find myself using them all that much.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I strongly considered this but managed with great difficulty to restrain myself.
They are often wiry little creatures.

As for the intended issue, I order a couple new ones to test. I am making a much of 6 inch dipped igniters for smaller Estes, Quest, and Aerotech motors rocket motors. I am test a dip inspired by the forum.