Winter Storm

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheryl@semroc

Reaction score
#9 Today, 08:05 AM

We had snow through the night and we are now getting freezing rain. The local news channel (Raleigh, NC) told everyone last night to plan on stayng where they were for the weekend. The area where we are located does not get road treatment so we are here to stay for a while.

For those who placed orders after 3pm yesterday, hopefully your order should go out Monday.

Sheryl

Sheryl, Several years back I was in Winston Salem for a conference and left early (about 11:00 AM) to beat an approaching winter storm. Well, the storm rushed in early and by the time I made it to the Raleigh-Durham area, it was complete gridlock - I-40 and the beltline were disasters. It took me about 14 hours to make it from Winston-Salem to Wilmington.

Most winter storms are exciting for us Southerners- 'cause they're so far and few between. That ice storm was horrible.

Freezing rain - my favorite! Totaled the first new car I ever owned back in the '70s by driving in an ice storm. Stay at home,keep warm, a delay of a couple of days won't hurt us:caffeine:

Ah HA! We finally have proof positive that SEMROC does NOT use hyper-spatial technology to deliver orders before they are placed.

Apparently they just work very hard and can even be affected by the (gasp).... weather! :D

It's just getting worse here. Carl said he heard last night that they didn't have enough salt to cover all the roads so we could be stuck here through the first of next week. The temperatures are not going to get high enough to melt anything either.

Hopefully we can keep our power and get much accomplished.

Sheryl

Freezing rain - my favorite! Totaled the first new car I ever owned back in the '70s by driving in an ice storm. Stay at home,keep warm, a delay of a couple of days won't hurt us:caffeine:
Kinda reminds me when I got caught in an ice storm in Texas in the 80's. Broke my nose on the windshield of my Granada. ever sence that day I drive with a seat belt:bangpan:
Mr. Bob

Temps here have been in the teens at night and twenties during the day. The big storm didn't come here but its too cold for freezing rain.

So far...

were snowed/iced in here also, Even if we did get out theres too many wrecks to navigate.

were snowed/iced in here also, Even if we did get out theres too many wrecks to navigate.

Thats the problem here. We have about 12-13" and people in the large 4x4 just think they can tackle anything. There was a guy in an H2 doing donuts in the cul d sac and almost took out 2 mailboxes.

Ben

Thats the problem here. We have about 12-13" and people in the large 4x4 just think they can tackle anything. There was a guy in an H2 doing donuts in the cul d sac and almost took out 2 mailboxes.

Ben

Wienies behind the wheel - I thought they all lived in my area

Wienies behind the wheel - I thought they all lived in my area

oh we have plenty here!!!

My dad loves his little toyota carolla, till now!! I want a nice 7.3L diesel turbo powered F250 with 2" lift and leved.

but noooo we want 40mpg 5 speed car :bangbang:

Ben

We have had clear sunny days and bright moonlit nights for the past few days. Which at this time of the year means it is cold outside. -18° F right now in Tupper Lake. Typical January weather. The full moon with Mars right along next to it was pretty neat to see last night. On nights like that the Moon and the planets look like they are just hanging in the air, not so far away. You could reach out and almost grab them.

MarkII

Here in CT we had about an inch of snow a few days ago. Now its just cold. Yesterday at points it was like 7 degrees. Right now, its 18.

The folks up north get snow and ice. We get rain, lots of it. My yard is holding 2" of water. We can't let the dog out due to the muddy mess she tracks in.

The temps are usually between 40 and 70, but it's been overcast all winter and rain about three times a week.

South east Texas, 12 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico.

The folks up north get snow and ice. We get rain, lots of it. My yard is holding 2" of water. We can't let the dog out due to the muddy mess she tracks in.

The temps are usually between 40 and 70, but it's been overcast all winter and rain about three times a week.

South east Texas, 12 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico.
It sounds like the Gulf is getting closer and closer each day, though... :eek:

MarkII

Back