Winter rocket shop obstacles

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty cool shop! :cool:

In defense, I wonder why so many people park their cars outside and pile boxes in the garage? I love my garage and use it for all my vehicles - Winter and summer! :p

Pretty cool shop! :cool:

In defense, I wonder why so many people park their cars outside and pile boxes in the garage? I love my garage and use it for all my vehicles - Winter and summer! :p
And its got a heat pump. so working with epoxy or spray paint all year long! And yea Im rubbin it in. Sorry but, living in WI we like to brag about our accomplishments.

Yep. Its a Gree 4 zone unit. I capped off two at the outside unit. Blower 1 is in my girlfriends side of the garage (she is also my HS sweet heart I married her in 1984 not that it has anything to do with this) blower 2 is my side. I always told her that my side might spill into hers. It will be bigger then practical for what the city will let me build. And my side would always be better heated and better cooled. But, I promise before every winter snowfall her side would be completely clear for the car and the whole thing will be split down the middle with a wall and door. Your side my side. She said whats the catch? $53k between removal of old garage, new cement, new patio, new approach,,,,,

The only thing that was a mistake is the Gree. And probably not Gree's fault. I just dont think this specific unit heat pump could keep up with the WI humidity fluctuations. Since my wifes side of the garage was less important to me (that didnt sound right) I always kept her side on the bare minimum heat and bare minimum AC (or humidity mode). I kept mine at the most expensive setting because it is the most comfortable. I think the unit was having a hard time bouncing between the two large differences and if the outside humidity changed in-between that (happens every 15 minutes in WI) the outside cooling blades got out of balance and the unit shut down. I have now figured out how to balance the inside units via a closer temp range but when I do that it wont heat as well. Its a "heat pump" Ironically, it helps in the summer better than in the winter. go figure?

But im not a rocket scientist so, what do i know

Yep. Its a Gree 4 zone unit. I capped off two at the outside unit.

The only thing that was a mistake is the Gree. And probably not Gree's fault. I just dont think this specific unit heat pump could keep up with the WI humidity fluctuations. Since my wifes side of the garage was less important to me (that didnt sound right) I always kept her side on the bare minimum heat and bare minimum AC (or humidity mode). I kept mine at the most expensive setting because it is the most comfortable. I think the unit was having a hard time bouncing between the two large differences and if the outside humidity changed in-between that (happens every 15 minutes in WI) the outside cooling blades got out of balance and the unit shut down. I have now figured out how to balance the inside units via a closer temp range but when I do that it wont heat as well. Its a "heat pump" Ironically, it helps in the summer better than in the winter. go figure?

But im not a rocket scientist so, what do i know
I did 30 years in commercial HVAC and I've never heard of fan blades getting out of balance that way. Heat pumps unfortunately have decreasing performance as the outdoor temperature decreases. it's just so hard to try to remove heat from an outside temperature below 40 degrees, and so most heat pumps have a low ambient cut off switch which will not let the compressor run, usually below 25 to 40 degrees(industry standard is 35 degrees) because there's so little heat in the air out there so after that you go to electric resistance heat, which the power companies love.

I did 30 years in commercial HVAC and I've never heard of fan blades getting out of balance that way. Heat pumps unfortunately have decreasing performance as the outdoor temperature decreases. it's just so hard to try to remove heat from an outside temperature below 40 degrees, and so most heat pumps have a low ambient cut off switch which will not let the compressor run, usually below 25 to 40 degrees(industry standard is 35 degrees) because there's so little heat in the air out there so after that you go to electric resistance heat, which the power companies love.
Not being a HVAC guy I dont know what the hell Im talking about. The only reason I mentioned the outside unit is every time the breaker was tripped I noticed the outside unit either had some small amount of snow, ice or water on whatever blade was the lowest. Gravity, moisture build up, dont know. So if i balance the inside temp, the outside blade is spinning WAY more often. And the problem of shutting down goes away. But then my temps inside are not as my selfish me wants it to be. Maybe im just being too spoiled.

Not being a HVAC guy I dont know what the hell Im talking about. The only reason I mentioned the outside unit is every time the breaker was tripped I noticed the outside unit either had some small amount of snow, ice or water on whatever blade was the lowest. Gravity, moisture build up, dont know. So if i balance the inside temp, the outside blade is spinning WAY more often. And the problem of shutting down goes away. But then my temps inside are not as my selfish me wants it to be. Maybe im just being too spoiled.
I had a mini-split unit in my nice house garage, I hit the remote control and set it to 72 degrees when I knew I wanted to work out there. Life is way too short to be cold or hot, especially in the age we are in today with high living standards.

I recently bought a remote thermometer and put the sensor in my hobby shed. When I'm going to be working out there (and since retiring a few months ago I'm out there a lot now), I fire off my space heater about an hour before I want to get started. I can then sit in my recliner and watch the thermometer until it gets comfortably warm before heading out for a rough day of rocket building. 😁

Shed 1.jpgShed 2.jpg

I recently bought a remote thermometer and put the sensor in my hobby shed. When I'm going to be working out there (and since retiring a few months ago I'm out there a lot now), I fire off my space heater about an hour before I want to get started. I can then sit in my recliner and watch the thermometer until it gets comfortably warm before heading out for a rough day of rocket building. 😁

View attachment 562315View attachment 562316
almost heaven

View attachment 562315View attachment 562316
looks like a Sansui 5000A with with Sansui speakers vintage 1970?

looks like a Sansui 5000A with with Sansui speakers vintage 1970?
Pioneer SX-636, the Sansui 5000A had green lights and black push buttons

Hobie1dog knows his stereo equipment--yes it's a 1974 Pioneer SX-636 (got when a friend of mine got into some legal problems for being in possession of, well let's just say some "unfiltered" smoking products and needed some money for lawyers). I've had it and the speakers (Radio Shack specials) since 1975. The receiver and speakers have been through one divorce and numerous moves with me since then.

Back