Winter project - 1:64 Saturn 5

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stones

Reaction score
With the cold weather on it's way, I've moved everything off the work table to tackle a Sirius Rocketry kit, the 1:64 scale Saturn 5. Needless to say, this is one I've been looking forward to building. The details are phenomenal on every aspect of the this kit. This will be a slow, thought out project, with pics along the way. Here's the whole thing, laid out.

Wow! That thing looks awesome! Can't wait for the updates!

I'll look forward to the build pics as you go! Wish I had the time to build another one myself, but between making them, and working on the next releases, who has time to build?

The instructions for the next kit are almost finished (always the most time-consuming part.) I'll send you a PDF when I have it together Mr. Stones!

Mind if I use any of your pics on the site as you go?

Dave

Originally posted by Stones
By all means sir. ;)

Thank YOU sir! Want the photo credits to say Stones?

Have sold more than my share of these over time, and I look forward to seeing one go together that I am not building. Others have had real good experiences with the kit, and with the meticulous work that you do, I am especially looking forward to following your "pro build."

I am probably going to have to do another batch of these kits come mid-winter, as I am down to about 7 in stock at this moment, and they do take a little time to get the parts done for.... That will probably be the next project after we roll out this new kit, which has been sucking my time. And family, and a real job.... :)

Dave

BTW Stones, nice parts picture. That is about the first time I have seen one complete kit's worth of parts in one place. I am used to seeing them in boxes and stacks of multiple kits worth of parts all over the basement/warehouse/shop!

Wow that looks sweet! Those tubes are, 6"?
Karl

Originally posted by Karl
Wow that looks sweet! Those tubes are, 6"?
Karl

Yes Sir Karl. This kit has been in production since 1999 or so, and is based on a 6.13" tube.

I've just looked at your website Sirrius, AWESOME! From the picture of the parts listed on this thread, I would never think It comes to that size :eek: Truly awesome! I carn't wait to see how it turns out.
Karl

Thanks Karl!

I am finishing up the manual right now for another interesting kit, and I have a basement full of parts for it.

I am also looking forward to Stones build of this particular kit, as he does great work, and is very anal about doing everything he does right.

It was several years in development and prototyping, as was pretty much a labor of love for me. I think I spent about 4 years in research, making the masters and the patterns. My initial run sold out almost overnight. A second run, the same. Then I did some improvements, and went even further with the kit, now in it's second edition.

I have a new kit coming out shortly, and although not quite as ambitious, still neat nonetheless. Since it is still a part-time business, the lack of time sometimes still is a hindrance.

But we plug on, and still even fly once in a while! :)

Dave

Yeah, Dave, speaking of that other kit.... :D

Stones, I forgot to ask you how this was going when I ran into you this evening. Where you at on this bird now?

Wow. I thought the only Saturn V kit in this size was Apogee's. And if this is made for high-power then all the better. If you're going to go to that kind of expense, might as well make it tough enough for really big motors.

Originally posted by Chilly
Wow. I thought the only Saturn V kit in this size was Apogee's. And if this is made for high-power then all the better. If you're going to go to that kind of expense, might as well make it tough enough for really big motors.
It is larger than the Apogee kit at 1:72. This is 1:64 and is made for HPR motors. Fairly tough. Managed to fly the prototype about five years ago several times, and not had a scratch. Smokes on an I-284.

The whole kit was designed to take one back to 1969, when I was five. It is cool going up on White lightning, and took me back for a moment. The only reason it was done, and the company was created to share that feeling....because the die-hards sais that I had to do it.

Originally posted by KermieD
Stones, I forgot to ask you how this was going when I ran into you this evening. Where you at on this bird now?
Just started Jon. She'll be an all winter project for sure. ;)
The CM/LES is about done, 'cept for paint and nozzles.
Here it is after the build. It's one strong unit as a whole.

Originally posted by Sirius Rocketry
And then when we go into explicit detail, the complaints are that the manual is
too complex, and we (really I) want to strike a happy medium.
I like PML's approach. Good instructions and a seperate, but very detailed
FAQ.

Thank YOU sir! Want the photo credits to say Stones?
Dave
Whatever ya feel Dave. I'm just a builder, you're the brains behind this magnificent kit. If it looks good when it's done, it's only because you put alot of time, effort, and DETAIL to make it that way. :)

Originally posted by Stones
Whatever ya feel Dave. I'm just a builder, you're the brains behind this magnificent kit. If it looks good when it's done, it's only because you put alot of time, effort, and DETAIL to make it that way. :)

..to this thread Stones on the Sirius Website, because I think it will be interesting to all to follow your progress.

I will probably use some pics, but I want to follow along and see how it ends!

And I will sponsor an I-284 for you to fly it at Bong next year if you wish. But not until we get lots of pics. You really need a level one guy! :)

Dave

And I will sponsor an I-284 for you to fly it at Bong next year if you wish. But not until we get lots of pics.
Dave
Pics are on the way. I'll most likely show completed assemblies with commentary on how I went about doing it.
The motor "sponsor" thang is very generous of you Dave. I hope that the build will live up to your expectations. ;)

One of the 1st things I got "out of the way" was the spiral filling chore. Here's the main BT getting filled with Bondo spot putty. I like it a tad better than Fill 'n Finish, as it dries just as fast but, it doesn't sand out of the spirals quite as easy as FnF.

Hate those spiral-filling chores!

You be better at Bondo than I be with Elmers wood filler!

One down, one to go. The 6" tube needed all spirals filled, while the 4" tube only requires the upper 12" or so. Thankfully...:rolleyes:

This is the chute bulkhead. It's purpose is to keep the chute farther up in the upper part of the 4" tube during flight. I'm using West Systems epoxy on this build. All the CR's are 1/4" thick ply. This particular ring appears to have an oak finished side.

Here's the completed 38mm motor mount. Total length of 17" with a heavy duty swagged cable for recovery. Again, West Systems epoxy used for the fillets. The aluminum tube is the internal launch lug (1/2") which is used with a 4' rod. I also plan on installing rail buttons.

The "t" nuts (for motor retention) installed on the aft ring.

Are the fins resin cast or vacu-form? i have the estes saturn v and absolutely love it, but i had to buy the moldin oldies parts for the fins because mine kept getting destroyed. i was considering the apogee saturn v, but that one has vacuform fins also...

Thanks. This looks like the Saturn V kit I have been looking for!

-Chris

Lookin' nice Stones! Keep the pics coming :cool:
Karl

Back