Winter Build Pile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccordmw

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'll keep this as a running list of what I'm going to tool around with over the boring winter. First up, I'm fiddling around with an airframe based on a broadhead arrow.

If this does well on LPR, I'll scale up to MPR. It's a simple design, but I'm a tad worried about the fins as balsa on LPR. 1000' on a C motor and recovery on a 9" plastic chute. If I can build fins that can take a beating, this would scream at MPR scale. I'll call it...uh, Broadhead. Yeah, that's original enough.

broadhead.jpg

Cool. Have you considered basswood? a bit stronger than balsa. Paper the fins for additional strength

The other scratch build I'm doing is a mesh fin model set in a plastic fluorescent light mesh as the fin set. OR won't model it properly, so I'll need to do some string testing. I have no idea about its performance. Need a good name for it...

meshfin.jpg

Attachments

• mesh fin.jpg
    mesh fin.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 50
And last, but not least, I'm rebuilding my MIRV. Not a scratch built kit though. However, I think I'll make some modifications to it. The last one twisted on the launch rod, took off too slow, and went cruise missile. It was last seen headed over a small hill toward a pond when the subassemblies launched and deployed their nosecones somewhere over the pond. The booster was found. All witnesses said, "Cool" at least. :-D

No OR or rocksim on it. Too complex for those programs, I guess.

mirv.jpg

The other scratch build I'm doing is a mesh fin model set in a plastic fluorescent light mesh as the fin set. OR won't model it properly, so I'll need to do some string testing. I have no idea about its performance. Need a good name for it...

View attachment 302089

Model it as W fins of XYZ dimensions, same as trans-mach tubefin.

Hexcaller? Luft Waffle? Fluorescish?

I think I'll keep this as a running list of what I'm going to tool around with over the boring winter. First up, I'm fiddling around with an airframe based on a broadhead arrow.

If this does well on LPR, I'll scale up to MPR. It's a simple design, but I'm a tad worried about the fins as balsa on LPR. 1000' on a C motor and recovery on a 9" plastic chute. If I can build fins that can take a beating, this would scream at MPR scale. I'll call it...uh, Broadhead. Yeah, that's original enough.

View attachment 302086

Nice! Can I have your sim file? Would like to try one of these myself of something similar, maybe in a 3".

View attachment 302086

Very cool design

Back