Winter Arrives

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lisa,

And this is why just after 2 years in Michigan, I had enough!

Give me dry/arid areas any day!

67 degrees below 0 with wind chill ... what are you people thinking?!?

Jonathan

Bring on the snow!!! We don't get enough of it here . . .

Y'know - I liked snow when I was a kid in school. But working in the dairy industry (there AIN'T no such thing as a snow day when you bottle milk) and having to drive 45 miles to work each day on an expressway through the countryside, I've come to despise winter in all its forms (the ice storm we had in Kentucky/Indiana last winter just about did me in!) I'm already looking forward to spring!!! ;)

4 " on the grass here so far in Sykesville, MD. Roads are pretty slushy, but the ground is warm so it's melting.

Lisa,

Jonathan

Well, when I moved here I was thinking 1) I wanted to work so that I could eat and pay off my student loans and 2) I wanted to be somewhat close to family...but not too close. ;)

I talked to my brother this morning who lives in Steamboat Springs and he basically told me to quit whining because it was 4 degrees there and he was going to spend the day working outside.

I can never one-up him in weather, except in the humidity department.

Buncha pansies.

Come up to New England. We had snow in the beginning of October.

:neener:

In the upper Midwest, winter is the season when wind is almost a consistent factor. wind is either on or off. it is not like spring, summer or fall when you get 5-10mph or gusty 5-10mph which can actually be 0-15mph. The wind factor in winter doesn't waver too much.

I hate ice storms. Been in two. Staying in Florida for as long as I can.

Same here!!!;)

Although today was not at all pleasant, dark, cold, windy and wet!!!

Although most of you probably won't consider temps in the high 50's - low 60's cold, us FL people sure do.;)

In fact, our monthly launch this month was rained out. Oh well, there is always next month.

Most of the time its too cold here to have an ice storm. You really only get good ice when its almost warm. I think we've had one in the last ten years.

24 deg F here but my son and the Boy Scouts are camping out.

The troop my two oldest are in had their "cabin campout" this weekend -- basically a pure fun campout, staying up late talking and playing board games, and sleeping in warm bunks. I spent the night in a tent -- once I got the sleeping bag warmed up, it was toasty, and quieter than inside. Kind of neat waking up with frost on the inside of the tent!

And snow days are fun -- get enough to close things down and you get an unexpected day to spend with the kids.

Sam

Its minus 27 in the wind up here. You're better off driving a zamboni to work then a car :)
Cheers
fred

Ah, rocket-building weather!

Saw my first car-in-the-ditch yesterday as I returned home from Saginaw, MI.
Picked up a pack of C11-3s from Michael's and a camera tripod from a thrift shop, plus some other stuff.

We're getting our first snow this morning--light snow that probably won't accumulate. My cat has never been out in the snow before and he's pretty funny. He wants out, he wants in, he wants to catch the snowflakes, he wants in...:rolleyes:

The big weather-related issue in our area is that the corn harvest still isn't finished. I've lived here for 25 years and I only remember one year it was this late.

We got about 3 inches yesterday. Today it's cold so it isn't going anywhere fast.

Too soon! :) But we have snow mixed with rain Wednesday, so this won't be around long.

It *is* pretty, but "pretty" gets old fast when it's snow...

I have a launch with my kids in two weeks. Hoping it at least warms up to freezing...

It snowed all day last Friday... in Houston, TX. :y:

That was our earliest snowfall ever. And gone in a day. ;)

Lisa,

Jonathan
But you miss the point... launching rockets is so much more meaningful when you only get to do it for 2 months out of the year! ;)

Whiteface Mtn. finally opened today. More snow in the forecast. Things are finally getting back to normal. Enough of that sweltering 50°F weather! After all, it's not summer anymore.

MarkII

Last edited:
You haven't gotten any lake effect yet this season, Angelo? Buffalo got hit the other day. So did Watertown. No snow yet on the north shore?

MarkII
Nope.

First time in about 164 years it didn't snow in November. First drifting today of the season, and it quickly melted. Just got the windshield dirty. :mad:

still, what snow?

It's probably headed your way now. Give it a couple of days. There's a huge Arctic cold front dipping all the way down to Texas sitting over the middle of the US. It looks like it's in Illinois now and moving east. We've had single digit highs here in Colorado and have about 4" of snow on the ground now with another 6" likely coming tonight and tomorrow. Certainly not a huge amount of snow but December usually isn't a snowy or especially cold month here.

Back