Windows laptop or Macbook

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highpowerrocketyahoo

One guy flying high.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a laptop to use just for my rocketry stuff. Rocksim, OR etc.

Any suggestions? How cheap can I go? I need Windows 10 and openGL 1.4 or better. SSD would be nice.

Or something different? Tablet?

Im not a big computer guy so thought id see what everyone uses. I do like being able to take it to the launches.

If all you'll do is rocket stuff and need to run Rocksim, grab a used corporate Win10 laptop off some seller like Good Computer Guy on eBay. If you can find something with at least 8GB of memory and a SSD you'll be good for quite a while. $200-$300 will get you a decent machine.

We have a few old corporate Lenovo laptops here at home, but run Linux Mint and without the need for Windows, will get even more life out of them. One goes in the range box on launch days.

If all you'll do is rocket stuff and need to run Rocksim, grab a used corporate Win10 laptop off some seller like Good Computer Guy on eBay. If you can find something with at least 8GB of memory and a SSD you'll be good for quite a while. $200-$300 will get you a decent machine.

We have a few old corporate Lenovo laptops here at home, but run Linux Mint and without the need for Windows, will get even more life out of them. One goes in the range box on launch days.
They say Rocksim needs OpenGL 1.4 or newer for yhe current version. I am assuming this would be most machines now?

I finally retired my 2009 13" MacBook. It served me well, but it could not keep up with 4K video. My new MacBook is amazing, and I am could not be more happy with my choice and with the new improvements this past year with Macs. That being said, if you are looking for cheap, you will probably stay away from Macs.

For just Rocksim and regular browsing/email type stuff, you can get away with surprisingly cheap. Maybe see if anybody you know is upgrading theirs to see if you can have the old one?

I finally retired my 2009 13" MacBook. It served me well, but it could not keep up with 4K video. My new MacBook is amazing, and I am could not be more happy with my choice and with the new improvements this past year with Macs. That being said, if you are looking for cheap, you will probably stay away from Macs.

For just Rocksim and regular browsing/email type stuff, you can get away with surprisingly cheap. Maybe see if anybody you know is upgrading theirs to see if you can have the old one?
Might end up doing that. My wife and I both have MBPros and love them. She teaches college math and lives on hers. For the range however, i am looking for expendable cheap. Lol prolly look into that

Back