Windows 7

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv2launch

Reaction score
So has anyone tried the beta of Windows 7 yet?I just installed it to check it out its exactly what i thought it would be a striped down version of Vista.I am apparently one of the few who like Vista except for it treating users like a baby but Win 7 does the same thing.

I haven't and I won't. I like the IE 7 I've been using for the past 2 1/2 years.
Works great with only a few problems every now and then. Tried some of the
other "upgrades" like Firefox and a few others, only to see my computer's speed slow to a crawl (or, even worse, freeze altogether). I'm sticking with
the adage; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Been playing with it since the release day. I would never replace my beloved Ubuntu with it however it is a HUGE improvement over Vista. I support a large enterprise that is 90% Windoz. It boots much faster than Vista and so far I have no complaints. It's promising reprieve from the Vista bloat

So has anyone tried the beta of Windows 7 yet?I just installed it to check it out its exactly what i thought it would be a striped down version of Vista.I am apparently one of the few who like Vista except for it treating users like a baby but Win 7 does the same thing.

I happen to like Vista too. I've heard about Windows 7, and I've seen some screenshots of it in a magazine. To me, it looked like a tweaked version of Vista. So even though they're similar, which one do you like best?

When it was first announced, impression is the retail version won't be available for 2 years or so.

I still have all my machines on XP with one on DOS. I am looking for another computer for the family but I haven't decided if it will be Vista or XP.

Either way, I won't bother with downloading, installing, testing, and then removing the software. Computers, when they are working, are too valuable to mess up.

I happen to like Vista too. I've heard about Windows 7, and I've seen some screenshots of it in a magazine. To me, it looked like a tweaked version of Vista. So even though they're similar, which one do you like best?

As bloated as it is I like vista better they took out all the things that made Aero a fun window manager.But I only played around with it a bit and couldn't get drivers for every thing on my system I was gonna try out some games but I couldn't copy them over off of my vista harddrive becuase its on a RAID and W7 didn't see it.

When it was first announced, impression is the retail version won't be available for 2 years or so.

I still have all my machines on XP with one on DOS. I am looking for another computer for the family but I haven't decided if it will be Vista or XP.

Either way, I won't bother with downloading, installing, testing, and then removing the software. Computers, when they are working, are too valuable to mess up.

The beta install will expire in August I couldn't find any kind of release date for it but normal the release version will be out at or around the time the beta expires by the way the micro$oft website was talking.

I'm running the Win7 beta and love it.

What are you referring to when you say they took out the stuff that made Aero a fun window manager? I find window management in win7 to be the best yet in any Windows.

I am in the process of removing windows from my home. My goal is to be windows free. I am still using XP on 3 older computers, but will soon be going linux on them also.

I'm running the Win7 beta and love it.

What are you referring to when you say they took out the stuff that made Aero a fun window manager? I find window management in win7 to be the best yet in any Windows.

So far from the bit I have used it they dumbed down the taskbar quite a bit thats the main thing that i noticed it seems to put running programs right down next to the shortcuts on the taskbar I'll explore it more tonight.

it seems to put running programs right down next to the shortcuts on the taskbar
not used it, and have no specific urge to do so, but I got the impression that they basically "copied" OSX (which in turn was "inspired by" other X-Windows based window manager front-ends).

not used it, and have no specific urge to do so, but I got the impression that they basically "copied" OSX (which in turn was "inspired by" other X-Windows based window manager front-ends).
Really? I don't get that impression at all - it seems like a mild evolution of the Windows taskbar, and nothing like the OSX dock to me (which is good, because the dock annoys me).

ArsTechnica had an article about this last week.

https://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/dock-and-windows-7-taskbar.ars

The Windows TaskBar started in 1993, during development of Windows 95.

If there were any X-window manager predecessors, they sure hid themselves well.

Of course, there were all sorts of program managers, Windows, Unix, and Mac, that were evolving from control panels/dashboards. I was on a team that wrote one for Windows 2.0. It sucked, really, but we thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Once Microsoft settled on the Win95 task bar, everyone jumped on the band wagon visually, except Apple. Took them until, i think, OSX. But as ARS says above, the model and intentions are quite different.

Back