Windows 7 Going Away

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by aerostadt, Nov 10, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Nov 10, 2019 #1

aerostadt

aerostadt

aerostadt

Lifetime Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

I just got a notice from Intuit, the maker of Turbo Tax, that Windows 7 support is going away in January 2020.
    https://www.intuit.com/support/windows-7-end-of-life/?cid=ipd_fms_pro1_19_tsm_win7_FY20

I just know it will be a matter of time before Windows 7 will be run over by viruses. I have Windows 10 on a laptop and I don't like it. Is there any way around this? Will somebody make a pseudo Windows 7 or do I just bite the bullet and go with Windows 10?

2. Nov 10, 2019 #2

OZRoc

OZRoc

OZRoc

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

I've been putting it off for years mainly due to the bad rep win10 had when it initially came out (security, hogging bandwidth, etc) but I figured when I heard that win7 was exiting that I had better bite the bullet. Picked up the parts for a brand new PC (not worth upgrading on your old stuff unless it is pretty speccy) and assembled it the other day. All installed perfectly and am now in the process of transferring selected old crap to the new one. Make sure you search and implement recommendations (security, hogging bandwidth, etc).
    Cheers

3. Nov 11, 2019 at 12:56 AM #3

Hardline

Hardline

Hardline

Ecstatic and Joyous

I have been dragged, kicking and screaming, from Windows 7 to Windows 10 this year.....

I found I liked Windows 10 after I made it do what I wanted it to do - not what it is set up to do.

4. Nov 11, 2019 at 2:40 AM #4

prfesser

prfesser

prfesser

IMHO Windows went downhill after XP.

I too was dragged kicking and screaming to Win10 earlier this year. No choice; new computer and that's what they got.

5. Nov 11, 2019 at 2:44 AM #5

skydog

skydog

skydog

6. Nov 11, 2019 at 2:45 AM #6

Brent

Brent

Brent

Just upgraded tonight, Still need to figure out how to import all my windows live emails.

7. Nov 11, 2019 at 2:48 AM #7

mjstech

mjstech

mjstech

this

8. Nov 11, 2019 at 7:24 AM #8

OverTheTop

OverTheTop

OverTheTop

Sad to see Win7 going. It is causing us some grief at work, with lots of old software struggling to work under Win10.

I read an interesting article on how Intuit are cornering the market on tax software, and lobbying the lawmakers to essentially stop other people providing free tax returns for low income earners. It was a scary article. Lots of unethical practices. They basically pushed people to paying by having tight terms for the free version and lots of unnecessary upgrade offers.

9. Nov 11, 2019 at 6:23 PM #9

dr wogz

dr wogz

dr wogz

Fly caster

I'm not a fan of WIn 10 either. The way the "forced" it upon the masses didn't help things..

The fact it comes pre-loaded with a bunch of (to me) useless apps & add-ons for a desktop PC, and that you cannot remove them nor really shut them down.

But I do get the idea / intent that they wanted one OS for desktops, PC, tablet, and phones. Sadly, these items all differ, and making the "one size fits all" means the upper end machines loose out.

Sadly, I feel M$ has lost their way, and are doing what ever they can to:
    Appease the investor
    Appease the millennials & hipsters (which is apparently only 20% of their user base)..

For those who have used Windows for years (I go back to Windows 3.0, DOS 3 even, with a bit of CPM), the changes they make are getting harder & harder to adapt to. I really don't care for the fact they are expecting you to change your habits & paradigms based on what they think you want & how you work / use their products.. Being able to personalize the windows environment is not as it once was..

• Cortana?! who uses it? why?
    • Edge? garbage, as 50+% use Chrome or other..
    • X-box? I don't console game / own an X-box. I do game, but only PC games (none of which are X-box based)
    • Contacts? Either Hotmail list or outlook / M$ Office.. again, why?
    • Notification center? Again, what does this do? Why do I need it? (Am I really that dumb that I need a reminder that I made a photo album?)

We are going thru a change over here at Work, So I've recently had my machine upgraded from Win 7 to WIn 10 Pro. And frankly, when I look at the items in the start menu / apps menu, is anything really that different? Oh yeah, they rearranged all the help, settings and a few other things, so that it looks different, but now is hard to find & change anything..

To me, Windows 10 is nothing more than a coat of paint, and "52 pick-up", and some faint hope the world will bend to their whims..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/52_pickup

Greg Furtman and prfesser like this.
  10. Nov 11, 2019 at 7:46 PM #10

heada

heada

heada

At work I'm forced on Win10. At home I have a few Linux based computers and a Win7 computer. I'm not upgrading my Win7 computer. I have no need to. If it was to be upgraded to anything, it'd be Linux.

11. Nov 11, 2019 at 8:03 PM #11

ChuckH

ChuckH

ChuckH

+1 I've been saying the same thing for years.

prfesser likes this.
  12. Nov 11, 2019 at 8:10 PM #12

rfjustin

rfjustin

rfjustin

sugar.JPG

13. Nov 11, 2019 at 8:13 PM #13

ChuckH

ChuckH

ChuckH

14. Nov 11, 2019 at 11:33 PM #14

75Grandville

75Grandville

75Grandville

Have been researching this myself for the home computers. Just finished downloading a couple of Linux distros to test for compatibility. I can live with it no problems - need to make sure that the stuff my kids use is compatible, or will work with emulator.

Interesting to see what others' experiences are.

15. Nov 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM #15

Marc_G

Marc_G

Marc_G

I've been using at least one Win10 machine since it came out. Bought a cheap tablet at the time to play with it. It gradually improved.

A few months ago I retired my last Win7 machine. Win10 works fine, is stable (not counting windows update patch Tuesday) and runs everything I need. I do like Linux and usually have one or more distros running, at the moment non are up to date. I don't use them as much as windows and I lose interest. Some software I require is only Windows and not emulator compatible.

My recommendation is to use Win10 PRO because it gives you the option to pause updates for 35 days, which is plenty of time to let patch Tuesday shenanigans pass you by.

Marc

16. Nov 12, 2019 at 12:29 AM #16

Tobor

Tobor

Tobor

Get your peanuts.... TRF Supporter

This whole "forced migration" (Arbitrary EOL) by Redmond is a real sore spot with me. Never mind that the entire Win10 paradigm is horrid, nor that Windows Updates cannot be scheduled or postponed by the end user. The real kicker for me is the blatant invasive spying that Win10 performs on every major aspect of the user experience. Only on the Pro and Ultimate editions can this be turned off.

When Win7 fails for me, I will be migrating completely over to Linux. Linux Mint to be precise. WineHQ for Linux will help me run any "Windows" apps that I cannot do without.

>EOF<

17. Nov 15, 2019 at 7:23 PM #17

RocketT.Coyote

RocketT.Coyote

RocketT.Coyote

18. Nov 15, 2019 at 7:59 PM #18

Greg Furtman

Greg Furtman

Greg Furtman

Stardock make a number of inexpensive programs that allows you to change the look & behavior of Win 10. Start 10 is one of them. I've been running it for a year now.
    http://stardock.com/
    Also there is a free program called WinAero Tweaker that allows you to change the look & feel of Win 10.
    https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

If you have a valid Win 7 key you can use that key to activate a Win 10 install.

19. Nov 15, 2019 at 8:05 PM #19

Greg Furtman

Greg Furtman

Greg Furtman

Paul, the latest releases of Win 10 that you can download & install don't have all that bloatware that the original releases had. I worked as an IT person at a community college and all those useless apps drove me crazy! I guess enough people/businesses complained enough that MS listened.

Another thing when installing is do a custom install and close all the back doors that MS has set up for an automatic install.

20. Nov 15, 2019 at 10:34 PM #20

John Taylor

John Taylor

John Taylor

21. Nov 15, 2019 at 10:51 PM #21

dr wogz

dr wogz

dr wogz

Fly caster

Greg, when you know, you know, and it's easy. When you don't, you're stuck & frustrated. I have what I have. I really don't have the time or energy to do a re-install. I am, however, due for a new machine, and maybe Santa will being me one..

It's just sad, that M$ initially forces this upon you.. only to later realize we all don't work & think as they do..

Greg Furtman likes this.
  22. Nov 15, 2019 at 11:10 PM #22

Greg Furtman

Greg Furtman

Greg Furtman

True. I'm lucky in that I understand software & operating systems and how to tweak them to my liking. If you ever need any help message me. :)

23. Nov 16, 2019 at 4:26 AM #23

rfjustin

rfjustin

rfjustin

Dark, heavy drink of water, but agreed, fantastic movie!

John Taylor likes this.
  24. Nov 16, 2019 at 4:57 AM #24

scadaman29325

scadaman29325

scadaman29325

Not so well known.

Just like the update I got on my phone, many of the icons totally changed and some functionality. Oh, that must be rotation lock icon, because that's where it was before the change. And just like buying a new car, oh, the wipers are over here now. Drives me crazy.

But I got to say W10 seems easier than W7 after you learn a few tricks like typing the filename or app name in the search bar. Just pops right up. No more drilling down in the programs menu.

Nytrunner likes this.
  25. Nov 16, 2019 at 3:57 PM #25

Ross

Ross

Ross

It worked like that on windows 7 also. Press windows key, enter query. (as I type this on a up to date linux computer. I don't have any software that requires windows, so the transfer was quite painless. I have heard good things about wine if you require windows software)

26. Nov 16, 2019 at 4:45 PM #26
  27. Nov 16, 2019 at 5:19 PM #27

aerostadt

aerostadt

aerostadt

I will definitely come back to this thread to help with the transition to Windows 10 come next month. Right now, I am reluctant to make the change. My past experience is that when I make a major change on my computer, I end up with a lot of trouble just running to stay in place. I have a lot of end of the year church work to do like the standard payroll, but also benevolence checks to write. Not to mention my own Christmas card and church member mailing address labels to print out. I don't think I want to make the transition until I get more things done reliably on the old Windows 7.

28. Nov 17, 2019 at 7:55 AM #28

scadaman29325

scadaman29325

scadaman29325

Not so well known.

Yes, but I was too hard headed to go the easy way and was not convinced to use it till I got to w10.

29. Nov 17, 2019 at 1:28 PM #29

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Agreed . . . 100% ! ! !

Dave F.

30. Nov 17, 2019 at 2:02 PM #30

bill_s

bill_s

bill_s

My only real concern is the final "update" to Security Essentials for Vista was to turn it off! Thanks guys!