windows 10 ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if the TRS-80's ran MS-DOS or IBM-DOS or another flavor. @troj would probably know. . .

Depends on the particular TRS-80s, but TRSDOS was the official from Radio Shack. There was also LDOS and NEWDOS, as well as LSDOS.

Of course that leaves out the Coco - I never really cared for that system, and I don't know much about them with floppies.

The OS these days reminds me of the OS on the old PDP11 minicomputers from the 70s-80s. Very complex and powerful. I used to be a system analyst and programmer for the public transport authority here in Melbourne. I did the software that ran the train system from '92-'98, which ran on a large number of PDP11 computers. Before that I ran the maintenance on our tram and bus tracking system '86-'92. That was also PDP11-based. I had a pretty good handle on RSX11M+ OS and the resident transport software and hardware.
I never did anything with PDP11s, but I did a little bit with PDP8s and a lot with various VAXen.

Man you guys... I started college in 1973 and did my itsy-bitsy introductory Engineering 1 FORTRAN programs on a keypunch, and you inevitably got in line for the card reader with your little 7 card deck just behind the doctoral researcher that had box as long as your arm to read in! We had some teletype terminals, too but all I can recall doing on them was a really silly little 2 parameter projectile ranging program called "war", all completely text. And those old line printers, clacking away like a printing press!

So I drop out in 1975, and come back in 1985 and in addition to being a full time student, pick up a job as a research assistant. First job: write some FORTRAN. I walk into a lab full of video terminals and ask where I can find a keypunch machine. They look at me like I just dropped in from another planet - "What in the world do you want one of those for?" I told them what I had to do, and they said, "Why don't you just do it on the VAX?" My turn to look at them as they had me moments earlier - "Cool. What's a VAX?"

Well, of course I got onto it, that's what all those green-letter video (text only) terminals were for. But talk about culture shock!

On the same note, most of my engineering student cohorts didn't have any idea what a slide rule was.

And I first learned AutoCAD (and AutoLISP) on the PC lab, I think AutoCAD was version 2.5...

Now the dinosaur shall shut up.

What happens when they reach Windows 13?
Well Windows designations have never gone more than a couple of consecutive numbers before they switch to some other naming scheme.

Man you guys... I started college in 1973 and did my itsy-bitsy introductory Engineering 1 FORTRAN programs on a keypunch, and you inevitably got in line for the card reader with your little 7 card deck just behind the doctoral researcher that had box as long as your arm to read in!
I was along a similar path- started college 1972, running Fortran with keypunched cards, AutoCad and AutoLISP on an original IBM PC. At the end of my college days I did end up writing programs on CRT terminals to run on the university mainframe.

Back