windows 10 ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_hamill

Reaction score
I caught just the first part of a tv news broadcast that said Microsoft will offer the free windows 10 update
until January 31 2023. So as of February 1st no more free windows 10 downloads.

I've started to see notices for Windows 11 PC on my work computer. Figures. Three weeks after we get the Windows 10 upgrades it goes obsolete.

1675170331023.png

We've got a few years yet until Win 10 is obsolete. They just don't want new installations of it anymore, and would rather push people to Win 11.

All my PCs are already on Windows 10, though I have a Win 11 play box and my wife updated a laptop to 11 accidentally. Both work fine for routine use.

My main machine is 5 years old. Back in the day, when I was an avid gamer, I would have already replaced it. But this machine serves my needs just fine. I don't want to have to replace it to "upgrade" to Win 11. My machine cannot run Win 11, and I don't see any significant benefit to my replacing my machine before its time.

Now on the other hand, my son is fooling around with Blender, and that just about brings my system to its knees with certain files. But with current component prices, I cannot justify getting a second machine just so he can fool around with that and play video games.

This always cracks me up.

Windows 1
Windows 2
Windows 3
Windows 3.11
Windows NT
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows 2000
Windows ME
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8
Windows 10
Windows 11

My computer technically isn't supported by Windows 11 either, but it turns out that doesn't actually matter...

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/bypass-windows-11-tpm-requirement

Most computers running Windows 7 or 10 should be able to "upgrade" to Windows 11 after applying the required registry tweaks.
So my next question is, "Do I want/need to 'upgrade' a machine built in 2011?" I'm thinking not, except if I upgrade this machine and swap the drive into my next build... or is there something about Windows being locked to the processor ID?

Tom, I was under the impression that Win 10 at least, ties itself to the motherboard, not the processor, though with your old machine... who knows?

I did make the mistake of "upgrading" from Win 7 to 10 when it was still free, and wow, that old laptop ran like cold molassas. The only reason I keep it around is that it has an old copy of Microsoft Word Starter on it, and I don't want to spend $150+ to get Office for my main machine.

So my next question is, "Do I want/need to 'upgrade' a machine built in 2011?"

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I would have gladly kept using Windows 7 forever, but Microsoft eventually stopped releasing security updates.

Every computer in the house is currently running Windows 10 with StartIsBack installed, which allows you to make the start menu and taskbar practically identical to the Windows 7 experience.

I did make the mistake of "upgrading" from Win 7 to 10 when it was still free, and wow, that old laptop ran like cold molassas.

I have an old laptop from 2009 that I upgraded with a Samsung solid state drive. It's the single best upgrade you can give to any old computer, because it makes even Windows 10 run like very hot molasses!

Yes, I did the drive upgrade back a couple of years ago. Funny, with an I72600K running at 4.1 GHz, and a a good ol' Nvidia 1080i I put in a few years back as well, its still a very healthy machine. But it's time to at least start looking; if I ever figure out retirement, I want to flight sim in addition to rocketry. And I want to stay on the "Pro" edition of "Vinders". My mother-in-law is on Win10 Home and I think it stinks.

I am hoping to install 2 solid state drives of 1 or possibility 2 terabytes each
One will have Windows 10 os 64 bit and the other will have Windows 7 os 32 bit
The 2 hard drives will be on removable rack mounts and set up as a dual boot
That way when I am not at home I can remove the 2 rack mounts and secure them
Also image files of each solid state will be made for back up in case of a drive failure
The AMD FX -8350 eight core cpu running at 4.01 GHz is still going strong since 2011
when I built the pc

So my next question is, "Do I want/need to 'upgrade' a machine built in 2011?" I'm thinking not, except if I upgrade this machine and swap the drive into my next build... or is there something about Windows being locked to the processor ID?
I'm running a desktop machine that I built exactly 14 years ago- overclocked Intel Q9400 processor. IIRC it started with Windows XP, then I upgraded that to Win7, then upgraded that to Win10, then upgraded the spinning hard drive for an SSD. It mostly runs well and is plenty fast enough for what I do but I'm ready to build a new computer as soon as I decide what to build- Ryzen 5700G vs Ryzen 7700X vs Intel 13600K. The old one will stay on Windows 10 as long as it can, then new one will start with Windows 10 if that is possible.

Regarding Windows locked to processor ID- my recollection is that Windows identifies with the motherboard. You can upgrade some parts of the machine such as the hard drives, even the CPU, and Windows doesn't complain. If you try to swap the motherboard then Windows cries foul thinking you are trying to copy it to another computer. What I always read was you could call Microsoft, tell them your motherboard died and you had to buy a new one, and they would allow you to activate it.

Ryzen 5700G vs Ryzen 7700X vs Intel 13600K
The 13600K is the best bang for your buck out of those three, but it also consumes the most power. Also, for the Intel 12th/13th generation processors, DDR5 memory doesn't have a big performance increase over DDR4, but it does cost significantly more.

From 2006 to 2022, I've built five different systems using Intel processors, ASUS motherboards, NVIDIA video cards and Seasonic power supplies. Seems to be a solid combination. The three most recent builds have included Samsung SSDs and Western Digital Red/Red Plus HDDs. Not a single hardware failure so far...knock on wood!

I thought NT came after 95.

I caught just the first part of a tv news broadcast that said Microsoft will offer the free windows 10 update
until January 31 2023. So as of February 1st no more free windows 10 downloads.
I think that's incorrect. Microsoft has stopped selling new Win10 licenses January 31,2023.

Beginning with Windows 10, version 21H2 (the Windows 10 November 2021 Update), feature updates will be released annually in the second half of the year via the General Availability Channel. Go here to learn more. Microsoft will continue to support at least one Windows 10 release until October 14, 2025.

https://www-bleepingcomputer-com.cd...tops-selling-windows-10-licenses-a-day-early/

I upgraded 2 of my machines to Windows 11 so I could have easy access to an Android subsystem for my simple camera security system. I know it can be done on Windows 10 but it was super easy to just do it in 11. Having said that there are a few snags on one of my laptops on some web apps. My main system seems to do just fine.

Wish I would have paid attention/heard this earlier. I just re-upgraded a W10->W7 downgrade by HP-> back to W10 years later due to software BS. I have 2 other computers still on W7 (no internet), but imagine the next software upgrade by the machines they run will required W10. Doh! I guess I did download it already and created an install USB, so maybe I can do it in March. Too busy to lose a computer between now and then, though. . .

I liked W7 as a solid OS. W10 has gotten to be pretty good, but my one W11 machine is terrible. I was a fan of NT3.51 for sure, XP seemed solid too and first install was W3.0 for a Windows based OS. Obviously lots of DOS before that, I can't remember the lowest version I had, but it was on a 286. I'm not sure if the TRS-80's ran MS-DOS or IBM-DOS or another flavor. @troj would probably know. . .

Sandy.

I liked W7 as a solid OS. W10 has gotten to be pretty good, but my one W11 machine is terrible. I was a fan of NT3.51 for sure, XP seemed solid too and first install was W3.0 for a Windows based OS. Obviously lots of DOS before that, I can't remember the lowest version I had, but it was on a 286. I'm not sure if the TRS-80's ran MS-DOS or IBM-DOS or another flavor. @troj would probably know. . .
I was in at the beginning (S-100 systems), then TRS-80 and finally IBM 8088 and MS-DOS. TRS-DOS was the Tandy operating system. I sold my first computer program made with Z-80 assembler. Definitely got me hooked. The operating systems today are incredibly advanced and complex compared to those days. I like it.

I was a fan of NT3.51 for sure, XP seemed solid too
I don't remember if it was NT or 95 but I talked to someone who had the OS installed on their computer and they said that they could leave the computer running for 2 or 3 days and it would still run OK. We thought that was absolutely incredible, having come from MS-DOS and Win3.1 which would require you to reboot 1 or more times per day.

Not sure how to find it in Windows 10, but my 'good' machine says 158:08:59.49. I'm assuming that is days:hours:minutes:seconds, but not sure. The same display isn't obvious in W10, but its much less.

I agree with the old stuff, though. . .I recall rebooting during breaks when playing Doom with people on serial/network. It was a good advantage!

Sandy.

The operating systems today are incredibly advanced and complex compared to those days. I like it.
The OS these days reminds me of the OS on the old PDP11 minicomputers from the 70s-80s. Very complex and powerful. I used to be a system analyst and programmer for the public transport authority here in Melbourne. I did the software that ran the train system from '92-'98, which ran on a large number of PDP11 computers. Before that I ran the maintenance on our tram and bus tracking system '86-'92. That was also PDP11-based. I had a pretty good handle on RSX11M+ OS and the resident transport software and hardware.

Not sure how to find it in Windows 10, but my 'good' machine says 158:08:59.49. I'm assuming that is days:hours:minutes:seconds, but not sure. The same display isn't obvious in W10, but its much less.

I agree with the old stuff, though. . .I recall rebooting during breaks when playing Doom with people on serial/network. It was a good advantage!

Sandy.
In task manager, on the performance tab I believe?

Edit - if it's not already set, when you open Task Manager you'll need to click the 'More details' dropdown.
On the performance tab, select the CPU section and the uptime is listed at the lower left of the presented info.

Back