William Shatner is going to space. For real.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the actual liftoff shown was CGI right? It just looked fake to me. Plus, how would they get that shot unless they had a drone over the pad. Hmm....

Personally if I had the money to spend, I'd go up in that high-altitude balloon that's going to be operation soon.
You stay up longer, get a better view, there's no stress during liftoff and decent and a far less likelihood of it going BOOM!!

It was obviously faked. (Ooh, let's start a new "conspiracy" thread...)
Shatner actually died years ago, since then they have been using an Alien Shapeshifter.
One of the Blue Alien Shapeshifters not those Gray ones that refuse to join the actors guild.

I watched the live stream as it happened, and the Shatner comments part was really odd. Kind of unintentionally funny and also sad in a way.

As people got out of the capsule, their family members ran up to them and gave them big, excited hugs. But Shatner climbed out, and he was just sort of standing alone for a minute. Then Bezos came over, Shatner started to say something, but Bezos wasn’t really listening at all. It looked like Shatner was kind of being ignored.

Finally, Bezos started paying attention, but when we could finally listen, Shatner was kind of babbling. Pretty soon you could see the gears running in Bezos’ head thinking, “I got things to do. What the heck is he saying? Oh, crap! That’s no good for marketing!”

Shatner was talking about the blackness of space and describing it as “death” and the contrast with the bright Earth below as “life”. Lol! “Up above is death… and down below is life.” I think he was trying for something profound, but I don’t think Bezos really appreciated the idea of his rocket flying toward death!

Then there was another part where Shatner was talking about his nervousness on the pad, and he mentioned his “jitters” about the ”delays” and “holds” and how he heard them mention an “engine anomaly“, and it made him nervous. He put his hands on his lower gut and mentioned how he felt in his “biome“! Perfect, Kirk! Nailed it! That’s GOLD for the promo video!

An attractive woman came up to give him a hug. He started talking, and she just slid out of the frame.

It had the feel of a publicity stunt gone awry.

I think Shatner really did have a good time and maybe a profound experience. I hope he can kind of collect his thoughts and maybe do an interview when he is not so much in the moment.

At one point they referred to the passengers as astronauts 5xx, and so on... but I thought rules changed and passengers not involved in operation of the ship no longer were eligible for that designation? Or have I misunderstood?

At one point they referred to the passengers as astronauts 5xx, and so on... but I thought rules changed and passengers not involved in operation of the ship no longer were eligible for that designation? Or have I misunderstood?
I was confused too. I assumed they're just using their own rules for their broadcasts and marketing purposes, but NASA has the "official" rules they apply to their accepted list of astronauts.

(Ooh, let's start a new "conspiracy" thread...)
Oh, dear god, please let's not.

I was confused too. I assumed they're just using their own rules for their broadcasts and marketing purposes, but NASA has the "official" rules they apply to their accepted list of astronauts.
Which means that passengers are not considered astronauts by NASA. If BO wants to use that word, or they do themselves, no one can tell them they can't.

I watched the live stream as it happened, and the Shatner comments part was really odd. Kind of unintentionally funny and also sad in a way.

As people got out of the capsule, their family members ran up to them and gave them big, excited hugs. But Shatner climbed out, and he was just sort of standing alone for a minute. Then Bezos came over, Shatner started to say something, but Bezos wasn’t really listening at all. It looked like Shatner was kind of being ignored.

Finally, Bezos started paying attention, but when we could finally listen, Shatner was kind of babbling. Pretty soon you could see the gears running in Bezos’ head thinking, “I got things to do. What the heck is he saying? Oh, crap! That’s no good for marketing!”

Shatner was talking about the blackness of space and describing it as “death” and the contrast with the bright Earth below as “life”. Lol! “Up above is death… and down below is life.” I think he was trying for something profound, but I don’t think Bezos really appreciated the idea of his rocket flying toward death!

Then there was another part where Shatner was talking about his nervousness on the pad, and he mentioned his “jitters” about the ”delays” and “holds” and how he heard them mention an “engine anomaly“, and it made him nervous. He put his hands on his lower gut and mentioned how he felt in his “biome“! Perfect, Kirk! Nailed it! That’s GOLD for the promo video!

An attractive woman came up to give him a hug. He started talking, and she just slid out of the frame.

It had the feel of a publicity stunt gone awry.

I think Shatner really did have a good time and maybe a profound experience. I hope he can kind of collect his thoughts and maybe do an interview when he is not so much in the moment.

I don't think it went awry. The comments so far say it is a PR coup for Blue Origin.

I thought his comments showed how profound the experience was for him and his emotion was genuine. I was touched by his heartfelt emotions and understand why it took so long for him to process his feelings.

He did well and lived up to Kirk's motto of boldly going where no one (his age) has gone before!

Last edited:
I don't think it went awry. The comments so far say it is a PR coup for Blue Origin.

I thought his comments showed how profound the experience was for him and his emotion was genuine. I was touched by his heartfelt emotions and understand why he it took so long for him to process his feelings.

He did well and lived up to Kirk's motto of boldly going where no one (his age) had gone before!

I like William Shatner, and I want to hear what he has to say about it in a way where we can really hear it, and after he has had a chance to process it. I’m sure it was profound for him.

My comments were mostly about how I thought Bezos and others reacted to him in the moment. And I also think that a lot of his comments about death, jitters, delays, holds, engine anomalies, and his gut biome are going to be hard to work into a marketing piece. Lol!

Back