Will we ever learn?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavRedf

Reaction score
Hi guys
Had a hard frost last night and so most of the trains wont run, "wrong kind of snow". Now we got snow and I look out of the window and see the idiots driving as if it was normal conditions.
Not a sign of the gritters, oh well it is Britain.

I know it has nothing to do with rockets but its kinda neat. Wow thunder and lightning with snow, first time I saw that.

David

Originally posted by DavRedf
Wow thunder and lightning with snow, first time I saw that.

Yep, I was pretty shocked when that started!

North America has the worst most outrageous weather on this planet.

No other continent...including Asia...has the weather extremes that we have.

Tornados occur almost daily in late July and August throughout the central United States.

Cold weather reaching consistantly -40 degrees F (that would be -40 C also!!). Lake effect snow from the Great Lakes (the story of MY life!)

Hurricanes in the Gulf states and on the east coast!

Thunder and lightning during a snowstorm! Yea at least once a year...

2" of snow in London...pffffffst...you should see Texan when it snows....it belongs on America's Funiest Videos!

My sister called from London...they are all freaked!:D

sandman

Hey, you darn northerners need to keep that cold crap up there! Quit messin' around with Florida's weather already. As for wierd weather, tonight's low is 36deg. The rest of the week will be in the upper 60s and lower 70s.

Portishead (where I live) hardly ever gets snow, for geographic reasons (we're next to hill ranges like the Mendips etc, where most of the snow gets dumped; plus we're on the banks of the Bristol Channel/River Severn, which keeps the tempeature up). We had about 10mins of snow at 5:30 (including lightning - that ruled), which hasn't pitched, and its almost anarchy - the supermarkets emptied of bread, milk & that; and my Play Rehearsal was cancelled, in a moment of panic from the director.

Ok, so its cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey, but we're not snowed in behind gurt huge snowdrifts! Knowing what the weather can be like 'round the rest of the world, it does make the British reaction to snow seem very comical. :D

Its the greatest British subject of conversation, the weather. You can meet anybody: The Queen, Billy Bragg, The Chuckle Brothers, Shakin' Stevens, whoever; and know that you can talk about the weather, and not cause any offence. But our reaction when it snows is so funny! :D

Originally posted by eugenefl
Hey, you darn northerners need to keep that cold crap up there! ...
Oh, but we love to share eugenefl...;)

I work mainly from home so the big snow storms don't bother me that much.

During the height of today's most recent storm I was sitting at my kitchen table enjoying a cup of coffee. When what do I see?

Visitors!!

I had a heck of a time keeping the dogs distracted while I tried to take the picture.

sandman

P.S. yea I built the Gezebo too!

Hi Sand
yeah i know we brits dont know what weather is. :p

The main point is we get 3 snow flakes and the transport infrastructure grinds to a halt. Transport hell the whole country more like.

Bet your sister had a laugh at all the freaking brits.
By the way Great pic , venison on the hoof ;)

David

Yeah I get that. It's a bit exciting when you pull down the driveway and round the blind turn in the dark and there's a herd of eight standing in right in front of the garage. NOBODY know what to do. Then there's the 3 fox kits that love to play on the sloped roof of my bedroom... at 5:30 AM.

Wouldn't trade it for sirens and light pollution tho ;)

It could be worse guys:
Saint Cloud Today Add to Yahoo!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
at: 6:53 pm CST Fº | Cº

Currently:
-15º
Fair Hi: -7
Lo: -25

5 Day Forecast

Today Tomorrow Fri Sat Sun 6-10 Day

Partly Cloudy

High: -7
Low: -25

AM Snow Showers

High: -1
Low: -18

Partly Cloudy

High: 0
Low: -11

Snow Showers/Wind

High: 3
Low: -6

Partly Cloudy

High: 7
Low: 4
Extended Forecast at weather.com

This isn't unusual for this time of year. Look on the bright side, spring is just around the corner!

:p

Oh poor you, youll get your feet cold! My entire WORKSHOP is about 10 degrees right now, you brits really dont know weather untill you come to the states.... I might advise you go to canada if you are planning on visiting north america, I know for a fact people are nicer up there... And you get a killer exchange rate too! Whoo dawgies! Bring a few greenbacks up there.... You can get a lot for yer money!

We have had windchills under -60, which amounts to 30-second frostbite. Ouch. I didnt go out of my front door for about 2 or 3 days....

Without sounding insulting, some (or most, or all....) brits are weather-wimps. No doubtaboutit. I suppose you must know how to take rain (I prefer snow to rain. I dont like it much. It just ruins everything... At least snow is pretty, and you can see deer tracks in it (and that stupid brown sign shows up better....).

So really I think you will live. Its just a few inches (heck! I had to shovel 2-3 feet at once this winter!). I know this will sound strange, but you might want to put on some boots (do they call them "galoshes" over there?:confused: ). Relax, itll either melt in a day or two, or maybe, just maybe, though it sounds unlikely, you will all toughen up overnight! LOL! :p :D :rolleyes:

P.S. Read my signature. Thatll give you the idea that the states boys are tougher about snow that full grown Brits! :D :D :D :D :D (no offense intended.....)

Originally posted by eugenefl
Hey, you darn northerners need to keep that cold crap up there! Quit messin' around with Florida's weather already. As for wierd weather, tonight's low is 36deg. The rest of the week will be in the upper 60s and lower 70s.

low's of 36 degrees....

heck, in New England we don't even break out the *COATS* when it's *that*warm!

Shoot, it has to be below freezing two weeks straight before I even close up the grill for the winter....

36 degrees. Man, I CAMP in colder weather than that. When it finally HITS 36 degrees, I'm breaking out my fly rod and hitting the streams for some dinner!

36 degrees....

man, i'll show you cold so cold that you spit and you hear it shatter when it hits!

If it gets any colder up here, Hells gonna freeze over and we know that *that* means, don't we? Means the Red Sox are going ALL THE WAY! :D

supposed to warm all the way up to WAY BELOW FREEZING tomorrow! Can't wait... :p

I don't like cold or snow, I'm sick of seeing white stuff, lets see the green stuff, and warm temps, oh yeah:)

(do they call them "galoshes" over there? ).

Neil,

They have "galoshes" but they are called Wellys!

After spending a week in England it seemed like a good idea to keep a pair of"Wellys" in my boot! (trunk)

Of course...there is no boot in a pickup truck...so I just throw 'em in the back end!

Everybody has lousy weather! And everybodies weather is WORSE than everybody elses!

My sister is still fairly new to the UK so she has to come home every once in a while...when the airfares are cheap.

She complains that after a while the gray skys make her feels like she's been trapped inside a "tuperware" container!

I still love your country...now if we can just get the exchange rate...

sandman

man, i'll show you cold so cold that you spit and you hear it shatter when it hits!

Guys! here is a "science" trick I first showed my daughter when she was very young.

When it gets really cold (Did I just say WHEN???!!!) try this:

The temperature should be below zero for this to work!

Take a 2 quart sauce pan half full of water and put it on the stove to boil.

When you have a good rolling boil going, quickly now...grab the handle firmly...have somebody hold the door to the ouside open...run out the door with the pan of water...get clear of the porch...holding the handle really tight, throw the boiling water as high into the air as you can!

Just see how much...if any...of the water actually hits the ground!

I think...not sure...I saw Mr. Wizard...Don Herbert...do this a long time ago!

Gee, Mr. Wizard, science is fun!

My daughter just turned 32 on Sunday...she still loves that!

sandman

You guys think that's bad, we get a little drizzle and it's all over the local news like we just had the storm of the century. Shoot, I wore shorts to work today.....oh yeah did I say I was from So Cal, sorry:D

Kewl! I gotta try that! I wonder how cold it is right now..... "HOMESCHOOLING!". Im gonna go check the thermometer....

Just tried it, even though it is 26 degrees out... About 3/4 of the water fizzled up before it hit the ground! That was cool.... I am going to try again later today when its a little colder. Maybe about 7:00 with our big outdoor light on.

Hi Neil
No offence taken :p
You are so right about brits and weather but this old fart dont get cold feet even though im about as old as Sandman.
I learnt a few tricks in the army. you should try exercise snow queen in Norway in Jan. -50 and down.
No Neil we call them wellies and I wouldnt be seen dead in them prefer combat boots.
But then when you dont get very cold weather you dont get used to it.

David

im about as old as Sandman.

I do like to keep hearing that!:D I'm ever so glad to learn I am NOT the oldest one on this forum.

Wellies are better for mud! Especially when I have my good shoes on visiting a client and he takes me to a construction site!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Wellies are better for mud!
Being an ageing Punk Rocker, I wouldn't been seen dead in a pair of Wellies; however I have been to a couple of mudbath Glastonbury festivals, where wellies & black bin bags have been the ultimate fashion statement! ;)

BTW: The 'snow' we had last night was all gone by this morning. All the schools were shut, though, thanks to all the heads panicing yesterday evening. Don't expect the kids minded having a impromptue days holiday!

Hey Sandman
you most certainly aint the oldest here :D
8/3/1948, beat you
David

Well, if you count my dad, he MIGHT be one of the older people.... He doesent go on the forum, though. Your just a year older than my parents, davredf.... So I think the prize goes to you! You get to shovel the driveway for your prize!

HOLY COW!!!! THEY CLOSED SCHOOLS!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!??????????? We dont get days off from school unless there is a foot or more of snow on the ground, or if there is still a lot falling! I gotta move to the UK, I really do... If they close school over THAT.... Jeez. Thats crazy. It really is. Its bad enough if transit stops, but if they close the schools because it snowed a day ago..... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by Neil
I gotta move to the UK, I really do... If they close school over THAT.... Jeez.

Ah but Neil, how often does it snow in the UK?

...you should see Texan when it snows....it belongs on America's Funiest Videos!

We have not had any measureable snow for a couple of years in the Fort Worth/Dallas area that stayed on the ground long enough to worry about. But going back a few years to the last snow storm here, I have to agree that one of the most hilarious things to watch is Texans driving on snow.

If you can safely get to a vantage point where you can see a big intersection, it is a sadistic sort of pleasure to watch the carnage. These people get their vehicles rolling, accomplish a small degree of steering, and then get way over-confident and seem to completely forget to plan ahead for braking on snow. They roll up to an intersection the same way as when the pavement is dry, and when they see that they have to stop-----it's too late. You can see multi-car bang-ups every minute. As soon as they roll the crashed cars out of the intersection, the next batch arrives.

Having grown up in Iowa, I can get around pretty well on snow. But it just isn't worth paying a $500 deductible and having my car in the shop for two weeks, I usually just stay home and wait for it to melt. Around here, snow is almost always gone in a couple of hours.

But I sure do miss spinning donuts in the parking lots at the mall.

They have "galoshes" but they are called Wellys!

Where I grew up, they were called "rubbers"

It always made all the kids snicker when we got dressed to go home at the end of the school day. The teacher would advise the students "Don't forget your rubbers!" You would think they would have caught on and called them galoshes instead.

Originally posted by Neil
HOLY COW!!!! THEY CLOSED SCHOOLS!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!??????????? We dont get days off from school unless there is a foot or more of snow on the ground, or if there is still a lot falling! I gotta move to the UK, I really do...

Ya don't have to move that far, Neil. Just come on down to Richmond. They close schools for four-five inches.:rolleyes:

Back