Will my controller work

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

sgirard

Reaction score
Hello everyone

My only experience launching model rockets have been limited to Estes BP motors using the provided Estes igniters. I have launched them with my Estes Electron Beam controller that uses 4 - AA batteries. My question is will that controller work with composite motors that are supplied with First fire Micro and the first fire Jr igniters or do I need more voltage and or amperage?

Thanks

Steve

BEC

Reaction score
FirstFire Micros (that come with Q-Jets) will work just fine on your Electron Beam. I have tested this case and there is no problem.

I’m less sure about FirstFire Jrs but suspect that more current will be needed for them.

sgirard

Reaction score
thanks for your reply. i guess i should plan on building a 12 volt system using my old Harley battery for the Jr.

caveduck

semi old rocketeer
Reaction score
One other point is that for E motors and beyond you will need more wire to meet the safety code (30 foot distance required for those). You can actually hack an Electron Beam or similar controller to use a LiPo battery and add longer and heavier gauge wires and it will fire any igniter in existence.

Cape Byron

The BAR formerly known as Skippy-2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

sgirard

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I looked at the site and I think that would be a good choice. I’m just getting back into my rockets and plan on scratch building some D’s, E’s and maybe even some F class engines. I have not flown in several years, so I am playing catch up on what’s new out there, not to mention I have never flown anything larger than a D12 and always built kits. So, it’s time for something new. Thanks again for your response.

dpower

Reaction score
I used a PSII controller for the first time yesterday, from a fellow flyer, after having some issues with the controller(s) I brought. I used all StarTech starters, and it lit them instantly. I'm tempted to retire my old Pro Series Command Control and get one, it's easier to hold, and the buttons are much easier to operate.

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I got a wireless remote from a fireworks site, Pyro Creations. I just tested it with a HPR ignitor from 60 feet and it lit instantly. I'll have to keep testing to see what the range is.