Will me and my brother-in-law get arrested for this???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I consider this entire thread a “thought experiment” brought about by boredom resulting from an extended period of solitary confinement.

Attached is photo of my L3 project.

PS. The B52 in the background behind the barn is a scale model from my model airplane days.

9A33AEC0-9875-426E-A379-590C491EAD69.jpeg

Loved reading this thread lol. My only question, is why does any out of the norm question that gets asked on here, that gets any traction, get called trolling. I honestly don't think that word mean what you think it means.

Reactions: JMX
We plan on laying one inch steel plate on the rear deck under the pad and launch rail. We're seriously good on that end.

Just wondering about other aspects to this launch.

A large number of guys here with a LOT of experience flying high power rockets have advised you NOT to do this, but seems like you are determined to do it anyway.

How many have to tell you not to do it before you LISTEN?

By the way, I told my 12 year old son (builds and flies his own rockets) about this idea. Even he thinks its an incredibly STUPID idea.

Last edited:
Loved reading this thread lol. My only question, is why does any out of the norm question that gets asked on here, that gets any traction, get called trolling. I honestly don't think that word mean what you think it means.

I think trolling fits perfectly, an online troll is someone who throws something out there trying to get a response, like trolling for fish. The troll will usually take the exact opposite side of what is being discussed, or will take an outrageous stance on a topic, or ask a question that is so obvious that people can't help but jump in and call him a moron, they might post a ridiculous claim, or just make a rude response to someone. I am not sure if your question wasn't an attempted trolling.

I can't really respond for anyone else, but I considered it a troll once it was pretty clear that he pulled a photo off of some random boat ad and he didn't actually have a boat to launch from.

If you're really that stupid go for it. I mean this has to be the dumbest thing i heard yet. Wait I take that back. The dumbest thing I've heard and seen is that idiot who died launching himself in a homemade rocket to prove the earth is flat. You would be 2nd to him for your complete and utter stupidity. The blast alone would sink the boat or cause some type of fire. Oh Gawd just go for it the whole world will less two idiots.

I think trolling fits perfectly, an online troll is someone who throws something out there trying to get a response, like trolling for fish. The troll will usually take the exact opposite side of what is being discussed, or will take an outrageous stance on a topic, or ask a question that is so obvious that people can't help but jump in and call him a moron, they might post a ridiculous claim, or just make a rude response to someone. I am not sure if your question wasn't an attempted trolling.

In all fairness, trolling to you could be a genuine question to them.

And what's more rude, the response, or calling him a name for asking a question you didn't like? Would defending a stance politely be trolling because they didn't agree with you?

We may be a little quick at latest here. Instead of just enjoying the forum.

Well done troll.
He (I assume it's a He) exploited the behavior that TRF regularly shows when somebody proposes something that's a bit out there.
He played a bit with knowledge that is not well known outside of the hobby to build up his story (CA restrictions on bigger motors)
He came up with a location that will raise further questions as soon as somebody paid attention (and an innocent story for it).
He played the "Freedom rocketeers" against the "It's the end of rocketry as we know it" folks.
He waited, before posting something that can easily used to expose him (via image search, in this case), which is probably a sign he had enough fun.
And probably a bunch of things I didn't notice...

Reinhard

I can't really respond for anyone else, but I considered it a troll once it was pretty clear that he pulled a photo off of some random boat ad and he didn't actually have a boat to launch from.

Maybe fair enough for this post, but at the same time, I see it a LOT here. Once something comes out that the person didn't notice or catch, or if they don't agree with some people, its automatically called a troll. Just seems kind of harsh to me. And even if it is a troll, not like we can go outside, or launch, so what's wrong with exploring some crazy topics we don't normally explore. Just seems kind of much to me.

If you're really that stupid go for it. I mean this has to be the dumbest thing i heard yet. Wait I take that back. The dumbest thing I've heard and seen is that idiot who died launching himself in a homemade rocket to prove the earth is flat. You would be 2nd to him for your complete and utter stupidity. The blast alone would sink the boat or cause some type of fire. Oh Gawd just go for it the whole world will less two idiots.

The blast may not sink the boat initially, but it will most certainly cause substantial damage to everything on the back half of the boat to the extent the boat will no longer be useable as a fishing boat. It will cause everything flammable to burn, without question.

Also, a near-minimum diameter rocket on an O class motor will certainly go high enough to intrude on air traffic lanes in the area where the OP talks about launching. And without an official FAA waiver, the Air Traffic system in the area will have NO IDEA this is happening, even with someone calling to tell them about it. When the FAA says 'no', they expect compliance. No Notams will be posted.

Without dual deployment, this rocket could easily drift much closer to land than the launch site, again putting unaware aviation in incredible danger.

Beat ya to it!

Operation_Argus_launch.jpg

JMX,

Please don't do this if you are seriously considering it. There are other places to launch and if you are simply looking for something different to do have you thought about "GETTING PERMISSION" to launch out at the Salton Sea. It's a lot closer than Nevada and Arizona and if you are serious about doing a Sealaunch have you considered launching from what's called "The Target"?

About two miles offshore is this old abandoned platform that they used for bomb sighting way back in the day.

https://www.saltonseawalk.com/object-salton-sea/

I bet if you simply spend a little time going through the proper channels you could LEGALLY get your sea-launch and also bring some much needed attention to the Salton Sea. The community could for sure use some positive publicity.

You could set up your launch rail on the platform and then FROM A SAFE DISTANCE, in a boat, launch your "O" powered rocket.

-Rocketbuff

View attachment 412226

DUDE!

This is actually a pretty decent idea. And I'd love to launch from that platform. But the paperwork and all the phone calls and emails would be an incredible hassle.

And worse than that, what if I do all that work and I still get a "no".

Regarding our soon to take place sea-launch, upon careful reflection we are simply going to go out 200 miles and launch.

My brother-in-law (who is from Canada by the way) has literally be everywhere in his boat.

West coast of Canada, East coast of Canada.

The boat is solid as a rock and can take storm weather and a serious beating. And he even motored all the way to Easter island when he took a vacation.

So I'm gonna simply use the "O" motor to stage either a "M" or "N" motor and we will launch 200 miles out from the mainland.

Details to come.

We are gonna do asap before my brother-in-law sells the boat.

We will have a drone flying nearby, an onboard camera on the second stage, dual deployment, GPS tracker etc., etc.,

We will have the coolest launch ever seen in amateur rocketry... or go to the bottom of the ocean trying... OR BOTH!

DUDE!

This is actually a pretty decent idea...
We will have the coolest launch ever seen in amateur rocketry... or go to the bottom of the ocean trying... OR BOTH!

There is NOTHING cool about violating safety rules, no matter where you do it. An O staging to an M or N motor will absolutely put that rocket into General, and possibly into Commercial Aviation airspace. Without an FAA waiver and a posted Notams, you could be putting hundreds of lives at risk.

And for what? To be "cool"? What the hell is wrong with you?

The blast radius (read that as Seriously DAMAGED AREA) on the ground from an o-motor that I witnessed was easily 10+ feet all around the base of the launch pad. You need inch thick underneath and probably 1/2 inch thick a couple of feet high all the way around in a 10 feet diameter circle.

But I think that your reasoning concerning this "Free Zone" is faulty. The Coast Guard is going to see ALL the water between those costal islands and the mainland as US territorial waters. They will not consider any incidental space in the middle as "international waters." Its a bureaucratic mentality that you are dealing with and I think that if you get lucky enough NOT to sink your boat that they will bring your way a world of hurt.

Go to either the Friends of Amature Rocketry site or a bit further to one of the HIGH power Rocketry clubs in Arizona or up to Nevada to fly your O motor. Its also more likely that you'll get your rocket back without having to get it out of a government impound along with your boat.

Brad

There is NOTHING cool about violating safety rules, no matter where you do it. An O staging to an M or N motor will absolutely put that rocket into General, and possibly into Commercial Aviation airspace. Without an FAA waiver and a posted Notams, you could be putting hundreds of lives at risk.

And for what? To be "cool"? What the hell is wrong with you?

Please see my last post. We are now going 200 miles off shore.

We will be in international waters.

No FAA waiver needed.

Of course we will make sure the sky is clear before we launch.

The blast radius (read that as Seriously DAMAGED AREA) on the ground from an o-motor that I witnessed was easily 10+ feet all around the base of the launch pad. You need inch thick underneath and probably 1/2 inch thick a couple of feet high all the way around in a 10 feet diameter circle.

But I think that your reasoning concerning this "Free Zone" is faulty. The Coast Guard is going to see ALL the water between those costal islands and the mainland as US territorial waters. They will not consider any incidental space in the middle as "international waters." Its a bureaucratic mentality that you are dealing with and I think that if you get lucky enough NOT to sink your boat that they will bring your way a world of hurt.

Go to either the Friends of Amature Rocketry site or a bit further to one of the HIGH power Rocketry clubs in Arizona or up to Nevada to fly your O motor. Its also more likely that you'll get your rocket back without having to get it out of a government impound along with your boat.

Brad

Please read my previous post where I stated we will be putting down 1 inch steel under the launch pad.

Additionally the boat is steel hulled.

Also, see my previous post where I mentioned we will now be going 200 miles off shore.

We will be in international waters.

No FAA waiver needed.

And of course we will make sure the sky is clear before we launch.

Regarding our soon to take place sea-launch, upon careful reflection we are simply going to go out 200 miles and launch.

My brother-in-law (who is from Canada by the way) has literally be everywhere in his boat.

West coast of Canada, East coast of Canada.

The boat is solid as a rock and can take storm weather and a serious beating. And he even motored all the way to Easter island when he took a vacation.

So I'm gonna simply use the "O" motor to stage either a "M" or "N" motor and we will launch 200 miles out from the mainland.

I thought this thread would be locked or deleted by now. o_O

So how about now? Moderators, are you asleep at helm?
(<--boat reference!)

PS: we already know who he is and have alerted the authorities. EOL.

We will be 200 miles offshore. Outside any shipping lanes. And not under any air traffic corridors.

We have taken everybody's advice and will proceed accordingly.

That said, we do have a new development.

We NOW plan on being the FIRST amateur rocketeers to successfully launch a monkey into space and bring them back to earth (water) safe and sound.

We plan on building a small pressurized capsule and will launch "Yuri" into space.

Yuri is my brother-in-law's pet monkey.

He is a Pygmy Marmoset. Smallest monkey you can own as a pet.

He's wicked light too... so he won't weigh the rocket down too much.

We think we can build a pressurized capsule the he will fit in and be under 4 lbs payload.

We are gonna stage that "O" motor to long burning "N" motor and hope to get to the Karmin Line.

It's a small diameter rocket so if we do this right it just might be possible.

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 9.08.42 PM.png

We will be 200 miles offshore. Outside any shipping lanes. And not under any air traffic corridors.

We have taken everybody's advice and will proceed accordingly.

That said, we do have a new development.

We NOW plan on being the FIRST amateur rocketeers to successfully launch a monkey into space and bring them back to earth (water) safe and sound.

We plan on building a small pressurized capsule and will launch "Yuri" into space.

Yuri is my brother-in-law's pet monkey.

He is a Pygmy Marmoset. Smallest monkey you can own as a pet.

He's wicked light too... so he won't weigh the rocket down too much.

We think we can build a pressurized capsule the he will fit in and be under 4 lbs payload.

We are gonna stage that "O" motor to long burning "N" motor and hope to get to the Karmin Line.

It's a small diameter rocket so if we do this right it just might be possible.

View attachment 412318

Wow, besides wearing my hip waders I'm going to have to climb up on the table. :goodjob:

I'm serious. We want to do this.

Of course we will make sure the airspace above is clear before we launch but we are serious.

Just wondering if anyone is gonna come after us for it.

YES!

Actually, now that you want to launch a living biologic into space, I really hope they come after you BEFORE you do this. I wonder if any animal rights activists are monitoring this...

"No matter if it was fines... or time in prison... I WAS gonna push that button!"
Ky “Rocketman” Michaelson

Before judging me and my brother in-law you might want to watch this awesome 8 minute film.

Lots of truth here.

We will be 200 miles offshore. Outside any shipping lanes. And not under any air traffic corridors...

View attachment 412318

Please have a live streaming cam pointed at your faces during this launch so we can see your expressions at that moment right after the blast shock wave from that O motor igniting destroys the back half of your boat, you realize you both have been critically injured, your boat no longer is functioning, and you are too far out for ANY help to get to you in time to do anything for you.

Oh, I just realized, 200 miles out, you will most likely also be out of cell phone range, so live streaming probably won't be possible either. Darn. Well, maybe your cameras might survive for them to pick up your dead bodies and bring back your Darwin award entries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back