Will it fly? Fun with improbable aerodynamics.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(Hmmm...I thought I had posted this reply earlier.)
I do envision a version closer to the forward cone and similar to Y3's second design. It would be without a nose cone, but motor mounted up to (or above) the lip of the cup and just partial fins inside the cup (center omitted to allow exhaust gasses through). In my mind, this should work and look like a regular cup from the side view.
IMG_20220707_225625528_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220707_224917561.jpg
I built a version with internal spin fins and forward motor first as a test. I was debating adding the rear ring and fin assembly and decided to forgo fir simplicity.
I launched it this morning on a 1/2A3 - it left the rod fine, but then then...

the cup became a tumbler. 😆

Unfortunately I forgot my phone, so no pics or video. I'm thinking of trying it again with the internal rear fins and maybe a bit of weight up forward.

Attachments

• IMG_20220707_224332182.jpg
    IMG_20220707_224332182.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
View attachment 526752
View attachment 526754
I built a version with internal spin fins and forward motor first as a test. I was debating adding the rear ring and fin assembly and decided to forgo fir simplicity.

Unfortunately I forgot my phone, so no pics or video. I'm thinking of trying it again with the rear fins and maybe a bit of weight up forward.

That will fly.

Will it Fly. Have you defined what this means in regard to your rockets?

Is it that the rocket is stable and recovered undamaged?

View attachment 526754

Unfortunately I forgot my phone, so no pics or video. I'm thinking of trying it again with the internal rear fins and maybe a bit of weight up forward.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/red-solo-cup.34606/

Back