Will Hobby Lobby discontinue Rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it is because Estes puts barcodes on them...
And people want to buy them on Sundays...
And rocketry is associated with STEM which teaches...
Never mind...
Maybe I'll drive through Chick-A-Filet... yeah not if I was starving.

Is (are) there a major brick and mortar chain store(s) OTHER than Hobby Lobby that carries model rocket kits and motors?

Our local hobby lobby is full of imported crappy decorations and is pretty light on the "hobby" anything. Granted it's been more than 10 years since I've been in there, but they had about 2 ft of shelf space for rockets and maybe another half an aisle for other models and things to paint. At least we still have Phil's Hobby Shop.
I would have to drive lots of miles, and most just have RC stuff.

I thought with the yellow price stickers, they were going to stop carrying rockets. I bought quiet a bit from them. First thing i grabed was a Cherokee D an all the E12-4 and 6 engines they had for $17.99 The next week the guy was restocking the stuff i just bought ! As long as they keep hanging those engines on the wall at that price i"ll keep buying them.

Our local hobby lobby is full of imported crappy decorations and is pretty light on the "hobby" anything. Granted it's been more than 10 years since I've been in there, but they had about 2 ft of shelf space for rockets and maybe another half an aisle for other models and things to paint. At least we still have Phil's Hobby Shop.
I think you've nailed that description Nate. More like Crafting/Scrapbooking/Home Decoration Lobby. :) Does Phil carry any model rockets?

Dose anyone remember when Hobby Lobby use to sell 29mm rockets and motors? I remember rockets such as the Majestic and Star Orbiter on their shelf’s until they decided to run a clearance sale on them half price. Then the 29mm E-16 and F-15 motors started to disappear. Any time I went to buy these motors they were out of stock. Someone was buying them besides me! I called HL corporate and asked why they weren’t carrying the motors and rockets anymore? They told me they weren’t selling so they fazed them out. I said I disagreed, that they were always out of stock. I also told them it wasn’t right that they sold a product and after purchasing it the part needed to fly it was no longer available such as the 29mm motors. They said sorry and they will take that into consideration. YEA RIGHT! The 29mm motors were great to buy at HL because there was no HAZMAT fees to pay. What is it now, $44.00 just for S&H.

I think you've nailed that description Nate. More like Crafting/Scrapbooking/Home Decoration Lobby. :) Does Phil carry any model rockets?

Phil's is a good hobby shop, but their rocket selection has become more limited. They have an assortment of LPR, but used to have more MPR and composite motors. They have a good selection of RC and trains which I think are more popular here.

When they have their big clearance sales on rockets, I wish there was a way to get notified other than someone starting a thread on here.

They still don't. They made a conscious decision to do this, but the exact reason is not clear. What they have said publicly comes down to the owners not trusting computers for some reason and/or wanting to give a "more human experience" at checkout.

Some have speculated that it's really because certain Christian groups think that barcodes are or are a precursor to the mark of the beast.
I have literally had HL management say that it's because the founder of HL believes that barcodes are the mark of the beast. They referred me to the book written by the founder.

I work for the inventory company that performs the outside inventory/audit for HL. Their inventories are not SKU-based, but price-based. We enter the price, then count how many items at that price-point there are. PITA

I have literally had HL management say that it's because the founder of HL believes that barcodes are the mark of the beast. They referred me to the book written by the founder.
That's so sad to hear that the owner of a national chain store can be that delusional. :(

That's so sad to hear that the owner of a national chain store can be that delusional. :(

It's called Freedom!

And yet in spite of his decisions with his company that you don't agree with, he's profitable enough to stay in business and keep people in gainful employment.

Few enough of us can claim anything close to that.

Let's hope they keep at least what they have, I spent well over $900 there last year and they sell most of the engines I use at a good price. I often wished they were open on Sundays, but my time as an Employee and a Manager in Retail taught my how great it is for everyone to have the same day off, especially Sunday so Families can be together. I'm an Atheist, but other peoples beliefs don't sway my buying decisions. Saturdays have become known as "Chik-fil-A & Hobby Lobby Day" around here, Lol

Dose anyone remember when Hobby Lobby use to sell 29mm rockets and motors? I remember rockets such as the Majestic and Star Orbiter on their shelf’s until they decided to run a clearance sale on them half price. Then the 29mm E-16 and F-15 motors started to disappear. Any time I went to buy these motors they were out of stock. Someone was buying them besides me! I called HL corporate and asked why they weren’t carrying the motors and rockets anymore? They told me they weren’t selling so they fazed them out. I said I disagreed, that they were always out of stock. I also told them it wasn’t right that they sold a product and after purchasing it the part needed to fly it was no longer available such as the 29mm motors. They said sorry and they will take that into consideration. YEA RIGHT! The 29mm motors were great to buy at HL because there was no HAZMAT fees to pay. What is it now, $44.00 just for S&H.
AND they used to have a 50% off coupon!

there was a bunch of stuff, like the vapor and luna bug, that were only available through HL. don't know when that stopped, but at some point Estes started selling them on their site, as well as through distributors. the cherokee e i haven't seen elsewhere, still, and the olympus i think. i thought that was interesting that HL had stuff no one else had access to. They have great prices on roc stuff.
I agree: their prices are very favorable (both for BP engines and for kits), and they are the only source I've seen for Estes' Cherokee E (this B.A.R. has purchased perhaps a dozen of them for myself and for gifts).
10 years, huh? Time to maybe at least visit them, and check out their current supply status - it might, as it did me, surprise you.

It's called Freedom!
JMO. "No it's called religious stupidity". Something Americans are famous for. Fortunately we are a country in decline. China is the next USA. Great huh? No it is not. But we are a country in an intellectual vacuum. We are scientifically illiterate which makes us weak and in decline.

I go to HL because I'll take their bargains. Dumb as a lead weight their management may be. And I laugh all the way to the Chick-a-Filet... oh wait, that management is just as stupid! No none of that for me either. :clapping::) :dancingelephant: :oops:

yeah caleb... wow. We could have been so much more

Last edited:
JMO. "No it's called religious stupidity".
I am trying to understand this comment. Are you saying religious folks are stupid? That could be quite offensive. Although that might appear true on the average, it is not a 100% truth. There is some type of link between high functioning autism and Atheism.

Either way, we would not discuss religion on this forum and you certainly should not slam the concept.

Last edited:
Please share any comments about "Will Hobby Lobby discontinue Rockets?" and take all the Religious and Political stuff to Facebook or some other Online Wasteland. This is my Thread, don't Hijack and turn it into another worthless Online Soapbox. I recommend Facebook if you want to Preach and share a useless and endless Debate. Seriously, I don't care about anyones Politics or Religion. Thanks to all of you who made relevant comments, I hope to hear more from others on this subject as I only started shopping at HL a year ago. Without HL I would've launched less than half the rockets I did this year (over 140 launches so far in 2022, not kidding).

Last edited:
HL also has great prices and selection of plastic model kits, many of which are... ROCKETS!! cool stuff.

@cls i'm with you... the vitriol and insensitivity is, at the very least, depressing. that being said, "get the full firehose" is kinda funny.

Last edited:
HL also has great prices and selection of plastic model kits, many of which are... ROCKETS!! cool stuff.

@cls i'm with you... the vitriol and insensitivity is, at the very least, depressing. that being said, "get the full firehose" is kinda funny.
The problem with people who think they know everything, is how they annoy those of us who really do.

Last edited:
Please share any comments about "Will Hobby Lobby discontinue Rockets?" and take all the Religious and Political stuff to Facebook or some other Online Wasteland. This is my Thread, don't Hijack and turn it into another worthless Online Soapbox. I recommend Facebook if you want to Preach and share a useless and endless Debate. Seriously, I don't care about anyones Politics or Religion. Thanks to all of you who made relevant comments, I hope to hear more from others on this subject as I only started shopping at HL a year ago. Without HL I would've launched less than half the rockets I did this year (over 140 launches so far in 2022, not kidding).

Dude, no one was preaching. He was insulting those that were religious. I was not preaching. I was trying to correct the behavior.

Get out of your box.

To the topic, I asked a regional manager and they are not tracking that HL is discontinuing rockets. They sell well in general and they discontinue the ones that do not.

If you do not like HL, vote if you dollars. Don't shop there. HL will not miss you because there are plenty of us who tend to like the store.

Last edited:
I"ve come to the conclusion HL can supply more E engines than i can afford. I"m pretty stocked up on E"s, I need estes to start making some F-15"s so HL can hang those on the wall with E prices on them !

I"ve come to the conclusion HL can supply more E engines than i can afford. I"m pretty stocked up on E"s, I need estes to start making some F-15"s so HL can hang those on the wall with E prices on them !
I, too, have purchased their 24mm E engines, but I've never seen 29mm engines at HL. Has anyone?

I have not seen HL sell 29mm engines in the last 4 years at least.

I, too, have purchased their 24mm E engines, but I've never seen 29mm engines at HL. Has anyone?

I have not seen HL sell 29mm engines in the last 4 years at least.
They used to carry the 29mm motors, but they apparently didn't sell well enough for Hobby Lobby to keep doing so. They no longer carry them, whether they are available or not.

Back