Will Hobby Lobby discontinue Rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDawg

Reaction score
I've noticed HL has discontinued 5 rockets this past year (Vapor, Mean Machine, Tazz, Leaper, Luna Bug) and added nothing new. The Buyer for HL has some very poor choices IMO (the Vapor was a steal at $14.99 IMO) and they don't seem to sell very much. I've spent over $900 this year (engines, wadding, some rockets) and it doesn't seem like too many others buy the stuff. Has anyone else noticed the same? I love HL as they have Balsa, Basswood, streamer materials, and other supplies but I feel like they are moving away from Rocketry.

I fear the same. Their rocketry space has shrunk in my local store. During the summer though they often ran out of D12-5’s and some E12’s. So somebody other than me is buying them.

I did see out of stock on certain engines during the year, so someone in the area is buying D12 and E engines. In my local store, the amount of space seems to be slightly less, but stock is okay. Same old rockets though.

I just don't see anything I want, other than the occasional restock on certain motors, though I don't do that much as I stocked up heavily after Christmas last year, right before the Estes price increases.

My nearest Hobby Lobby is 60 miles away. I frequent it about once every three years...........

It's just another line for HL, they'll keep carrying it as long as it earns it's shelf space. I doubt they'd expand it, though...

I still see a small section in the local hobby lobby in the new city I am in. But I have no idea where people are flying them, no local fields, and the parks specifically disallow rockets.

it’s a chicken and egg problem, not as many people flying rockets, parks stop letting people fly, less incentive to buy a rocket you have to travel a ways to fly if you don’t have a club, no one to pressure parks to re-open to rockets, fewer flyers, more parks close.

part of that is on me and other local flyers, we need to be pushing the cities and schools to ENCOURAGE model rocketry. I am just too lazy.

My nearest Hobby Lobby is 60 miles away. I frequent it about once every three years...........
HL offers included shipping on $50 and up orders on a regular basis on their website - good way to stock upon common 18mm motors and 24mm E12s - little easier on the budget than going all the way to the $100 point from AC Supply to get to their included shipping level.

I don't feel like HL is moving away from rocketry but they certainly don't have anything new on the shelves. The HL by me has a good selection of kits and motors but it's the same stuff they've been selling for a couple of years now. I'd like to see some HL specific kits again like we had a few years back. I guess we'll see what 2023 brings.

Who cares? Buy from the local vendors instead or buy from one of the many TRF supporting vendors. Lots of choices instead of HL.

HL is my local vendor. Hobby shops with rocketry sections don't exist around here and the one shop that does carry them are out of their mind on prices. They still have 20+ year old kits hanging on the wall due to pricing. Last time I was in there they had an old black big bertha they wanted $50 and a Super Neon XL for $75.

If I mail order it's from ACSupply for rockets. Parts come from a number of different vendors.

For many folks, HL IS the local vendor. Perhaps as importantly, they are a source without shipping charges where a small purchase can be made. In an era of crazy inflation, I understand.

HL has, and probably always will, go through cycles of what they stock and what they don't. We've seen them clearance out darn near everything, and then the following week put in new stock all over again. No, it's not their primary focus, but it's a source that's relatively stable and affordable.

there was a bunch of stuff, like the vapor and luna bug, that were only available through HL. don't know when that stopped, but at some point Estes started selling them on their site, as well as through distributors. the cherokee e i haven't seen elsewhere, still, and the olympus i think. i thought that was interesting that HL had stuff no one else had access to. They have great prices on roc stuff.

The only thing I buy at HL is wood, which I don't like buying mail order because I like to inspect and weigh it first. I used to buy my 29mm motors there (F15-0 especially) until they stopped carrying them.

I don't know how it is in other parts of the country, but my most local HL here in NJ never exactly conveys an impression of being forward-looking and on top of things (that is putting it *really* nicely). Last time I shopped there (a few years ago) they still didn't have barcode readers at the checkouts. Which is to say, I am never surprised if their rocket section seems out-of-date, or sometimes kind of run-down and/or poorly stocked. Who knows how they decide what to carry there.

Last time I shopped there (a few years ago) they still didn't have barcode readers at the checkouts.
They still don't. They made a conscious decision to do this, but the exact reason is not clear. What they have said publicly comes down to the owners not trusting computers for some reason and/or wanting to give a "more human experience" at checkout.

Some have speculated that it's really because certain Christian groups think that barcodes are or are a precursor to the mark of the beast.

I expect, like any other retail venture for profit, that they decide on what to stock based on what actually sells and what's actually available!

In any case, it's funny how so many folks routinely decry the $15/hr cashier being replaced with a self check out at all of their favorite and popular big box chains, then rail against HL having actual human cashiers!

The HL near-ish to me in MD doesn't use bar code readers either, which I've always found bizarre. How do you even keep track of inventory? Walk around counting things (yes, I know this is how stores used to do inventory)? They don't note down what they've sold, so it's not an in/out thing. It's no wonder you never know what's going to be in stock there.

Who's railing against them having human cashiers?
Never said you were, simply that darn near every thread about HL thread sooner or later turns anti-HL and one of the things that people complain about is the lack of bar code readers and human cashiers, and I find that rather strange.

I've been able to get out of HL with 20 people in front of me almost always faster than any time I have to wait in line at WalMart/HD/Lowes waiting on any of 20 different self check outs. YMMV.

I've noticed HL has discontinued 5 rockets this past year (Vapor, Mean Machine, Tazz, Leaper, Luna Bug) and added nothing new. The Buyer for HL has some very poor choices IMO (the Vapor was a steal at $14.99 IMO) and they don't seem to sell very much. I've spent over $900 this year (engines, wadding, some rockets) and it doesn't seem like too many others buy the stuff. Has anyone else noticed the same? I love HL as they have Balsa, Basswood, streamer materials, and other supplies but I feel like they are moving away from Rocketry.
I've patronized 3 HLs since becoming a BAR in 2006. Stock levels have varied just between these local stores let alone the regional variations discussed many times on this forum over the years. It's hard to draw any conclusions. Years ago a store manager told me that she was sometimes surprised when they opened up the shipments from the regional distribution centers, at least for non-crafting stock.
FWIW they used to stock Quest and Aerotech kits. The good old days! :)

Last edited:
HL is my local vendor. Hobby shops with rocketry sections don't exist around here and the one shop that does carry them are out of their mind on prices. They still have 20+ year old kits hanging on the wall due to pricing. Last time I was in there they had an old black big bertha they wanted $50 and a Super Neon XL for $75.

If I mail order it's from ACSupply for rockets. Parts come from a number of different vendors.

The local shop nearest me is primarily focused on R/C stuff, with one basically "end cap" section for rockets. Most of what's left is overpriced and ancient Estes motors. I did pick up a couple "Booster-55" kits for $2.49 each last time I was in. I might offer to do a bulk-buy clearance of all their interesting motors one day.

Our local hobby lobby is full of imported crappy decorations and is pretty light on the "hobby" anything. Granted it's been more than 10 years since I've been in there, but they had about 2 ft of shelf space for rockets and maybe another half an aisle for other models and things to paint. At least we still have Phil's Hobby Shop.

Back