Wile E's Been Done To Death... How About...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Acme was the name of a company that made a lot of equipment used in producing cartoons,
Yes. As a former animator, ACME and Oxberry were the top equipment makers for those that created cartoons. ACME was mostly west-coast, and I'd say up until the 1980's Oxberry dominated the East-coast. I own pegs for both systems, although beats me where the hole-puncher went. Now everything is done on tablets and computers and mostly the whole Peg and Paper system has gone away. Also, FYI DIsney used their own system, which had 5 holes so beware people selling supposedly authentic Disney cels that have ACME punched holes.

Fun fact: Acme was the name of a company that made a lot of equipment used in producing cartoons, so using the name was an in-joke for animators throughout the business. They started making equipment for the war effort and the government's missile development program in the 1940s and 50s and the company has since been known as Photosonics.

https://www.photosonics.com/company_history.htm
That is one of the most fun fun facts I have ever heard. Thanks.

A very good lawyer might be able to ...
This is who you need:

Fun fact: Acme was the name of a company that made a lot of equipment used in producing cartoons, so using the name was an in-joke for animators throughout the business. They started making equipment for the war effort and the government's missile development program in the 1940s and 50s and the company has since been known as Photosonics.

What an amazing find that is. Just posting the rest of their history.

https://www.photosonics.com/company_history.htm

Last edited:
You can imagine the reaction of, say, B-52 crew members if rather than "Photo-Sonics" appearing on the nameplate of some crucial piece of equipment they instead saw the name "Acme" while circling around at their fail-safe points after having recently watched a Road Runner cartoon.

tom and jerry GIF

You can imagine the reaction of, say, B-52 crew members if rather than "Photo-Sonics" appearing on the nameplate of some crucial piece of equipment they instead saw the name "Acme" while circling around at their fail-safe points after having recently watched a Road Runner cartoon.
I doubt they would have cared. If you pay attention, there was never any issue with ACME products... it was user and or application error.

eb2be11d8f7eca0d388dc5dad457fcb1.jpg
This has been done as well, but I've got a 5 ft long version going. Launches on a 54mm motor mount.
I even have a Marvin plush doll to launch with it

Capture.JPGMarvinLower.PNG
with a 3D printed tail cone, and nose cone. The rest is layers of styrofoam covered with fiberglass around a 98mm core

Last edited:
Nice touch with the string to tie Wile E to the rocket. I've got one of those kits which needs to be built one of these years days.
Thanks! The ACME Spitfire rocket is a lot of fun to build and I've added stuff along the way to make it funner. 😋

Since those photos, I've actually added a "HELP!" sign, but I may add a wooden stick to that one day so it looks more like Wile E Coyote is holding it.

20230208_083945.jpg

CHUBBY BUNNY.JPG

I liberated one of my wife's Easter decorations a few years ago and used it to create a modified nose cone assembly for my stretched LOC Mega-Magg, Chubby CheckerPants. (My Blushing Bride was annoyed at the unauthorized adulteration of her holiday lagomorph, but she got over it.) I figure if I zip-tie the ears back, it will be reasonably aerodynamic, and fly fine.
Bob Schultz

View attachment 562207

I liberated one of my wife's Easter decorations a few years ago and used it to create a modified nose cone assembly for my stretched LOC Mega-Magg, Chubby CheckerPants. (My Blushing Bride was annoyed at the unauthorized adulteration of her holiday lagomorph, but she got over it.) I figure if I zip-tie the ears back, it will be reasonably aerodynamic, and fly fine.
Bob Schultz

was this ever launched.

I remember a different version, but this will work.

taken from

https://www.boyscouttrail.com/content/story/falling_rock-1477.asp#google_vignette

1703984671812.png

Falling Rock Story​

An Indian chief, Rising Sun, was concerned with how white men were expanding across the forests, plains, and mountains. His tribe was very small, but as every tribe and nation was being overpowered and sent to reservations, he came up with a plan to save the People.
His son, Falling Rock, was a strong, intelligent, and trustworthy young man and Rising Sun loved him very much. Rising Sun asked Falling Rock to travel across the whole of the country and talk to every tribe he met. He was to convince them to join forces and repel the invasion of the white men.
Falling Rock left in the spring with 4 other braves.

When the leaves fell in late summer, one brave returned to Rising Sun to tell him that they had contacted all the tribes in the desert SouthWest.

When the snow began, another brave returned telling of their success with the Great Lakes tribes.

A third brave arrived home just as the spring flowers bloomed and told how the strong tribes of the Rocky Mountains were ready.

Finally, the last brave returned in high summer from the Eastern tribes with their promise to fight. This last brave also said that Falling Rock was now racing back to all the tribes, telling them to meet at the Mississippi river in the spring for the great war.

Rising Sun's small tribe prepared for battle and, when the snow melted, they traveled to the Mississippi. They waited there through spring and summer, but no other warriors arrived. At the end of summer, Rising Sun sent braves out in all directions to track down Falling Rock while the tribe waited.
By snowfall, all the warriors had reached the other tribes and returned to Rising Sun. All the tribes had waited to hear when the war was to take place, but Falling Rock had not been seen by any of them so they had stayed put. This worried Rising Sun terribly since he loved his son and missed him terribly.

The small tribe was forced to wait there through the harsh winter and when spring arrived, so did the white soldiers. They surrounded Rising Sun's tribe. Rising Sun knew they could never win without the other tribes so he talked to the leader of the soldiers.

Rising Sun promised to go peacefully to a reservation if the white men would promise to help him find his lost son. This was a small price for avoiding a fight so the white men agreed and Rising Sun's tribe did not resist.

To this day, Rising Sun waits for his son to return. And, to this day, the white men have held up their end of bargain struck that day. People across the country are still searching and everyone is asked to help. That is why you will see signs along the road that say,
1703984801368.jpeg

Back