Wildmans kit contest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILDMANRS

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place to post this.
Do you like to design rockets ?
Do you think you designs are appealing ?
Why not make some mullah off of your design?
Wildman’s is have having a contest for our next rocket .
Here are the rules
It must be an original design.
It must be made out of fiberglass tubing, regular or thin wall.
It must use fiberglass fins.
It must be stable.
You submission must be in rocksim.
The winning kit becomes property of Wildman hobbies.

If your design is selected you will get credit for the design on the website and in the packaging, you will also receive a $250 Wildman gift certificate along with second kit produced.
Send your entries to [email protected] with the subject line kit contest.

The winner will be selected on Monday August 15th
Thank You
Tim
Wildman Hobbies
p.s. a little hint make it manufacture friendly.
If it doesn't fly in rocsim it will automatically be DQed from the contest

Last edited:
Tim,

Some of us don't have RocSim (or exhausted the demo period).

Would you consider OpenRocket files?

G.D.

And for Tim, who's already very busy, it's one more thing to have to learn and deal with....

-Kevin

Crazy Jim uses OpenRocket! He can give Tim a tutorial on the next road trip :D

It's a world of haves and have nots and those of us on the low end of the economic scale and can't afford rocksim, are just left out...

OR can open rocksim files, but not write them. But rocksim files are human readable. So I edit them by hand and then use OR to run simulations. I admit, it's a little tedious, but then I have a rocksim file without using rocksim. For contest purposes, this would get you a usable file.

Why not have a little fun? I'll be anxious to see what comes of it myself!

I wonder how many submissions there were?

It's funny, I'm sure we all look at the designs submitted in the same way - nothing could be better, as it fits exactly with what we'd want to build ourselves!

Why wouldn't Tim pick it? It's AWWWWWEsome!

Tim,
I hope you are planning to announce the results here on Monday or soon after, yes?

As well, it would be cool to see some of the "runner's up" and such too. That is, as long is it's okay with the folks who submitted them of course. I myself would have no qualms about you posting my design (on this public forum), but I could see that others might have issue with doing so with theirs.

So, those of you who submitted entries and wouldn't mind Tim posting them here (whether they win or not) - let Tim know, yeah?

And Tim, please post the results.

thanks, s6

Spent a while designing mine.
After The contest, post your designs here. Im curious to see what you guys have come up with.

Couple questions, I don't know your standard sizes of tubes and such, so I have to make an educated guess. I assume that if my design wins, you'd change it a little to work with the parts you have?

Sent my design in :)

Last edited:
I'm probably asking too much but; it would have been nice if they came out with a parts data base for Wildman and Performance Rocketry to work off of.

JD

Tim,

I hope you will let us know how many entries you received. I'll bet it is more than you expected.

I'm probably asking too much but; it would have been nice if they came out with a parts data base for Wildman and Performance Rocketry to work off of.

In another TRF thread, I found a link to download a Performance Rocketry parts database that I was able to import into Rocksim:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showpost.php?p=138038&postcount=3

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. The 4" tubes, for example, were only about 2" in diameter when I used them. Maybe it just doesn't work with Rocksim 9.

I manually created the parts I used. It wasn't difficult. An alternative would be to start with an existing design file of a Performance Rocketry kit. Here's a link to a number of PR kit design files:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/rocksim-6892.html

-- Roger

In another TRF thread, I found a link to download a Performance Rocketry parts database that I was able to import into Rocksim:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showpost.php?p=138038&postcount=3

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. The 4" tubes, for example, were only about 2" in diameter when I used them. Maybe it just doesn't work with Rocksim 9.

I manually created the parts I used. It wasn't difficult. An alternative would be to start with an existing design file of a Performance Rocketry kit. Here's a link to a number of PR kit design files:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/rocksim-6892.html

-- Roger
Those don't work as there's no product number - they use generic product numbers in that column - if you import that data, just pre-edit it in Excel and change out the product number data and it works fine.

I used all PR parts for my design, and based it around the "Extreme" setup that Wildman uses, 4" with 75mm mount, dual deploy, and in the 8 foot tall range.

Easy to convert to pretty much any of the Wildman standard sizes, and stable in any configuration.

I even cooked up the "Ultimate" size to see how it would work. It was big!

So again, that PR data works fine, you just have to add in product codes (just make something up, it just has to be unique in order for it to work within RS).

Probably not in time for the Wildman contest, but if you want to use PR data going forward, that should make it easy to use!

Paul

roughly 170 entries.
There was some really cool stuff.
I haven't picked a winner yet, I have weeded out quite a few.
Heck some of you even sent me files that you Had flown and they crashed.
And its unfortunate because at least one of those would have been in the running if it was a good stable rocket.
Thank You
for all of the entries.
Tim

Those don't work as there's no product number - they use generic product numbers in that column - if you import that data, just pre-edit it in Excel and change out the product number data and it works fine.

Thanks, Paul, for taking the time to look into that and find the fix. I'll update my database when I get a chance.

-- Roger

Heck some of you even sent me files that you Had flown and they crashed. And its unfortunate because at least one of those would have been in the running if it was a good stable rocket.

Maybe I am worrying about nothing here, but Crashes in Rocksim is not necessary a bad thing. So please define Crashed? Crash as in Unstable? Or Crash as in Lawn Dart?

I'm hoping a lawn dart is not considered a DQ since by default that is what Rocksim does if no delay or recovery event is selected. Nothing to do with the design of the rocket, and in RL its caused by user error or bonus delay :p

My sims have "Crashed" because I chose the "ALL" delay which means there is no set ejection time so the simulation ends when its set to end, which is default when the rocket hits the ground. :p This setting allows you to determine the time to apogee and optimal delay time. Since the only DQing qualification was stability, I did not think simming recovery was necessary, since most of the cases I do not sim this part.

So I am hoping my design was not disqualified because even though it was stable, it 'lawned dart' because of how I use Rocksim?

i'm pretty sure he means rockets that people sent him in the simulator that have crashed in real life, which does make sense to be a no no :)

Back