Wildman - Wildman Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wildman Wildman Basic Information.

wildman.gif
Wildman Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Wildman Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x54mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 48"
Diameter: 3"
Span:
Weight: 3lb 5oz

Mfg. Description: The Kit That Started It All.

This was the first rocket kit designed by Wildman and it continues to be a solid performer. This brute was designed to last and comes with a lifetime guarantee* Who else but the Wildman can offer this.
This Kit Features:
• All fiberglass construction
• Weighs 3lbs. 5oz.
• 48 inches tall
• 3 inches in diameter
• 54mm motor mount
• Kevlar bridal
• Easy to assemble
• Detailed instructions
• Hawk Mountain design
• Dual deployment recovery option
• High Quality tubular nylon (Wildman 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

wildman-wildman-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

wildman-wildman-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Wildman Wildman 22 Basic Information.

wildman.gif
Wildman Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Wildman 22 Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Booster Stage
Motor Mount:
Stages: 1 (Booster)
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

wildman-wildman%2022-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Wildman Wildman Dual Deploy Basic Information.

wildman.gif
Wildman Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Wildman Dual Deploy Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x54mm
Length:
Diameter: 3"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: This kit was designed to take any motor put in the pipe and ask for more.

This all Fiberglass kit is 3" diameter.

The kit includes
48" booster
24" payload
9"coupler
Switch Band
54mm Motor Mount
1/8 G10 Fins
3-5-1 nose cone
Kevlar Bridal
High Quality tubular nylon
Welded Eye bolts
quick links
nuts,washers,ect. (Wildman 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

wildman-wildman%20dual%20deploy-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Wildman Wildman JR Basic Information.

wildman.gif
Wildman Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Wildman JR Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x38mm
Length:
Diameter: 2.1"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: FINALLY -- A ROCKET DESIGNED FOR EVERYONE FROM THE MILD TO THE WILD!!
Now everyone can own a Wildman. This rocket will fly on anything from an F motor to the longest 38mm J motor you can get your hands on. And its totally modular -- you can fly it single deployment or dual deployment, which ever you prefer, by just removing a quick link and moving the parachute and nose cone. And once again, Wildman is putting their money where their mouth is by backing this kit with a Lifetime Guarantee. (Wildman 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

wildman-wildman%20jr-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

wildman-wildman%20jr-instr%201.jpg

See Also:
TRF Build Threads
Green Jello

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Wildman Wild Child Basic Information.

wildman.gif
Wildman Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Wild Child Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Length:
Diameter: 38mm
Span:
Weight: 1.2lb

Mfg. Description: CLASSIC WILDMAN ROCKET “MINI”

Scaled down version of the rocket that started it all! The Wild Child! - a "mini" version of the venerable Wildman Rocket. Finally, an all glass mid-power kit for the masses. The Wild Child weighs in at 1.2 lbs and will fly on “E” to “I” motors.
This Kit Includes:
• 1.5” dia. 24” long lightweight fiberglass body tube
• 1.5” light weight fiberglass Von Karmen nose cone
• 1/16” fiberglass fins
• 29mm fiberglass motors mount tube
• Fiberglass centering rings (Wildman 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

wildman-wild%20child-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

wildman-wild%20child-instr%201.jpg

See Also:
TRF Build Threads
GregGleason

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
I have a Wildman Jr that has the motor retainer that is off more than that and it flys fine.

QUOTE=SacEsq;393268]Thanks for the compliments. I did notice one thing last night. For some reason the motor retainer seated about a mm or two off and when standing like in the picture it leans ever so slightly. Do you think that will be an issue?[/QUOTE]

Not sure where to start with motor choice. I have the 29/60, 29/40-120, 29/180 and 29/240 casings.

I've flown mine 4 times, with three actual flights (one instant eject on a CTI H410). G64w (29/40-120 case) went out of sight, lost it, someone else found it. G75M SU, out of sight, lost it, saw the streamer flapping around on the ground on the horizon. G54R (Pro-29 3G), out of sight, lost (someone else found it at the end of the day).

It'd be awesome on the H180W or an I200W, but it's gonna go pretty bloody high. Put a tracker in that sucker. It has a very good ballistic coefficient.

That being said, I really like the rocket. It's indestructible, I use it as my it's-too-windy-to-dare-flying-anything-else rocket, because if it crashes, it'll be fine. Take better care of yours than I have mine please! :)

I was afraid of the "lost it" as well. Thanks for the reports on your flights and motor choices. Any thought on the smallest motor you would put in it?

Also ... suggestions on a tracker?

Finally, I know many have said they used a streamer but I am afraid it would drop way too fast ... I was thinking of a small chute with a streamer attached.

Pummill-DS4-DD.jpg

Pummill-DS4-DD-Flight.jpg

First flight of my 4" Darkstar DD on a Cesaroni K740 CStar...couldn't have gone better :wink:

Updated pics with the new name "Gold Rush" sticker courtesy of Mark at Stickershock. Thanks Mark! It looks great!

2012-10-18_07-49-40_185.jpg2012-10-18_07-49-48_988.jpg2012-10-18_07-50-10_361.jpg2012-10-18_07-50-17_499.jpg

My second WildChild kitbash - "Even Gene". This one converted to dual deploy with a Featherweight/Raven AV bay. Fin shape bashed as well (of course). I bought the kit used and it had the old (original?) fibreglass nose cone - wow did I hate that thing during the build; sure glad they changed the spec. Been flying it with a BRB900 tracker - adds a lot of weight/mass but I'm not so afraid to fly higher any more.

Even Gene galler.jpg

s6

Been flying it with a BRB900 tracker - adds a lot of weight/mass but I'm not so afraid to fly higher any more.

Having good luck with this tracker? I just bought one, and I am curious to hear how people are doing with them.

Rocket looks great!

Having good luck with this tracker? I just bought one, and I am curious to hear how people are doing with them.

Rocket looks great!

So far so good, although I have less than a dozen flights on it so far, and this is the first/only tracker I've used, so my own experience is far from extensive. It is pretty heavy for a rocket like this - 68 grams for the tracker/battery/antenna. A lot of folks would not use it for that reason, especially if they want to go REALLY high. It also changes the CG quite a bit for smaller rockets like this - which can be a good or bad thing depending on the rocket in question.

The instructions and documentation are at first pretty confusing. They ARE very thorough and everything you need to know is in there. The problem is that they were obviously written/edited by someone who is very knowledgable about the whole world of tracking/electronics/GPS/RF/etc., and it all makes perfect sense to someone who already knows all that. But when you get someone - like I imagine most new users would be - who is brand new to it all, the terminology and assumptions seem like complete babble at first. So, while thorough, the instructions are basically written for someone who already knows all this, and therefore doesn't really need the instructions in way. Newbs like myself have to read and re-read and cross-reference etc., before it starts to make sense. In time it does, and then you're good to go for the most part. But BRB would do well to have the instructions and such gone over by a copy editor who doesn't already know how it all works - this would be a great improvement IMO.

All that said, it's worked perfectly for me "every time" so far. I'm getting more and more used to it, and consequently getting more and more adventurous in using it. My own "personal best" altitudes are climbing fast.

I definately like it. Now if you excuse me, I gotta go out and launch.
s6

IMG_5073.JPG P3310728.jpg

My Wildman Jr. Motor is a CTI 6gxl J394. This was my L2 certification flight. 7679 feet and 886mph!

Last edited:
L2 on a Wildman Jr with a MAX load in the pipe....THAT's doin' it in style :wink:

Thank you! It was FUN. Best part, is that Wildman himself pressed the button for my L2 on this flight!

I wanted to post a picture of my completed Wildman Jr that I am going to be using for my L1 attempt. This is my first post on the forum and I wanted to say thanks to this forum and Lmt56 for all the information. Now I'm waiting for good weather so I can fly it.

View attachment 125332

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130411_174946.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130411_174946.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, here is my Wildman Jr, Mark from Stickershock did some pretty cool vinyl for my Blue Angels Rocket. Flown it only one time so far at Airfest last year on a AT J-350 to about 6500 feet, dual deploy. It screamed off the pad and Tim couldn't couldn't call me a "Mildman" for stuffing a J motor in this thing. Of course I won't repeat what he said to me when he saw me put a I motor in my 3 inch Wildman, so this was redemption. Also have the Extreme Wildthang and as soon as it has paint I will post that here too.

Wildman Jr.jpgWildman Jr 2.jpgWildman Jr 3.jpg

Ok, here is my Wildman Jr, Mark from Stickershock did some pretty cool vinyl for my Blue Angels Rocket. Flown it only one time so far at Airfest last year on a AT J-350 to about 6500 feet, dual deploy. It screamed off the pad and Tim couldn't couldn't call me a "Mildman" for stuffing a J motor in this thing. Of course I won't repeat what he said to me when he saw me put a I motor in my 3 inch Wildman, so this was redemption. Also have the Extreme Wildthang and as soon as it has paint I will post that here too.

View attachment 127198View attachment 127199View attachment 127200

That is really cool, at least one Blue Angel will fly this year!

Spring must be the time of year the Wildfolks get frisky, I just finished up a Jr. as well. This rocket was started by a long time club member who passed last year, I did my best to finish it appropriately. R.I.P. Mr. White.

PIC_3600.jpgPIC_3601.jpg

My Wildman Jr. flight at LDRS 32 (2013) on a CTI I125W

2013-07-20 11.20.07LR.jpgIMG_3928bLR.jpgIMG_3929bLR.jpg

IMG_3823lr.jpgIMG_3822lr.jpgIMG_3821lr.jpgIMG_3826LR.jpg

Last edited:
Wildman 3" spring 2014 update built with head-end deployment and vinyl from stickershock. Planning to fly at Mudroc in a couple of weeks. Flown once naked on CTI J430, next up CTI K740

Wildman3.jpg

Ultimate Wildman "Bunsen Sr." successful level 3 at Airfest XX August 31, 2014
IMG_2507.jpg

Attachments

• Looky What I Got!.rtfd.zip
    221.3 KB · Views: 125
Last edited by a moderator:
Back