Wildman Wild Thang Mini

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CzTeacherMan

Reaction score
So I finally buckled and bought a mini. Technically, it's my daughter's, and she'll help build it, but since she's 7, I'll be the flyer on the card and the one doing the epoxy...
Anyway, we're thinking of going several directions so a couple questions for the forum before we start the build...
1) should we or shouldn't we get the APE 38mm nosecone sled? It looks fairly awesome, but I don't mess with LiPo batteries, and I'm not sure a switch, RRC2+, and a 9V would all fit. But, the ability to do electronic deploy would be great. What have you all done with your minis?
2) 24mm motors are nice and cheap. I've got CTI 3- and 6-grain casings as well as the standard AT24/40 case. What kind of performance are you all getting out of the various 24mm motors? Am I looking at E flights, F flights? This will be fun to fly on the cheap.
3) mini rail buttons out standard? Or both? What're your thoughts?

Eric, my Wildchild was built single deploy. I bought the additional dual deploy kit from Tim, but need to put it together.

I used acme conformal guides from Giant Leap.

I would not go with the cone bay. I like traditional dual deploy better.

The CTI 24mm motors are great in these sized rockets. I really like the F85 in it. See Kevin Harnack's June launch video on TWA website. First rocket is my orange Wildchild.

I've got a painkiller micro (essentially mini sized with ctii cone) and an eagle claw mini.

The PKM flies on E15 and E20's if the winds is light. Flew the ECM pn a E23T in a 29 40-120. probably could use some more gas, but flew well.

20823723869_4fceb8b3c7.jpg
21000101832_fcd79ec0d0.jpg

Flights were low, but landed close by.... nice for SD flights.

Nice saddlebag rockets ;) I did standard buttons
20387310684_6445285a56_z.jpg

Last edited:
Since you posted this in the HPR section, does this mean that you're putting the mini up on an H motor?

I'd skip DD and go with Chute Release. One Chute Release can go in many rockets. I use mine in my G-Force and MDRM (went up on an I204 recently), and soon-to-be Nike Smoke. Just a thought.

I'd skip DD and go with Chute Release. One Chute Release can go in many rockets. I use mine in my G-Force and MDRM (went up on an I204 recently), and soon-to-be Nike Smoke. Just a thought.

That's what I was thinking. But I'm also worried that a lot of motor eject delays will be too short for such a small rocket. Have you fit a JLCR into a 38mm tube? I've heard it can be done, just haven't seen it done yet.

CZ Have you ever tried to reef just the shroud lines using the JLCR? I am thinking it would make fitting it in a 38mm tube. Just reef lines all the way up to canopy. Not sure if chute may become a tangled mess on descent? Just an idea.

That's what I was thinking. But I'm also worried that a lot of motor eject delays will be too short for such a small rocket. Have you fit a JLCR into a 38mm tube? I've heard it can be done, just haven't seen it done yet.

No, I haven't tried it. The unit will fit, obviously, but maybe not wrapped around a chute. Gary's idea is one worth some experimentation.

I've fit a Chute Release into my Wildman minis, including my eagle claw mini. I don't have any pics, but just fold the chute long and skinny and it will slide right in.

I really like mini's. a darkstar mini was my first mid/high power build. I still have it and fly it often in SD and in DD. my last flight was DD on a CTI H255. in SD if does really well on F motors. I skip the E's. I have an eggfinder in the nose which has proven to be necessary if you're going over 1800 ft or so. at 4500 I never had eyes on it. here is my build.. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?68309-first-mid-power-Darkstar-mini-build&highlight=build

Nice. I remember reading your thread. It was right around the time I became a BAR.
I use the standard ComSpec trackers... Might have to get one of the new smaller ones for easier packing though.

So I went with the APE sled.
Couple pictures below. One is pictured next to one of his 54mm sleds. Looks like i could maybe fit an RRC2, 9V, and switch, but... It would be tight. I'll be grabbing a LiPo battery and looking for a good, small switch. Might just cut the pads of a Missileworks screw switch and use that. We shall see...

1469671357158.jpg

1469671364699.jpg

1469671373169.jpg

Upon inspection... I can put the screw switch on the back and have room for the rrc2 and a 9V on the front. Perhaps...

I bet I could fit two altimeters on there- you're just not trying hard enough :)

Got it all to fit... RRC2+ attached at the top screw on the sled, 9V taped in place with two 4-40 screws to prevent it from falling back (wedged into top of nosecone pretty well, also, so it ain't going anywhere), and a Missileworks screw switch with pads cut off and wires soldered into mounting holes, attached to sled with epoxy.
Done and done. All in all a nice tight little package.

1470278558265.jpg

Wow! I think that's the tiniest AV bay I've ever seen. Especially right now, as I am building one inside an 8" X 18" coupler. :wink:

I'd love it if the sled were closer to the center line so you could fit an altimeter on one side and a tracker on the other side.

I'd love it if the sled were closer to the center line so you could fit an altimeter on one side and a tracker on the other side.

If that were the case, the battery wouldn't fit. But... With LiPo, I'm sure it would. You could always email Chris and see what he can do. To have a fully functional rrc2 sled in a 38mm nosecone makes me happy. I use ComSpec trackers, so that's in the rocket anyway.

Wow! I think that's the tiniest AV bay I've ever seen. Especially right now, as I am building one inside an 8" X 18" coupler. :wink:

Whoa... I'm kinda jealous. I've never had a large Av bay. Yours is bigger than mine. LoL

If that were the case, the battery wouldn't fit. But... With LiPo, I'm sure it would. You could always email Chris and see what he can do. To have a fully functional rrc2 sled in a 38mm nosecone makes me happy. I use ComSpec trackers, so that's in the rocket anyway.

Yeah - lipo's definitely help - here's mine with RRC2, eggfinder and 2 lipos - it's nowhere a nice looking as yours.

NC_AV_Bay.jpg

Motor mount built, first fin curing overnight. My daughter really likes taking charge. She won't even let me mix the epoxy. LoL

Just awaiting fillets and paint. My daughter is a regular speed demon when it comes to building.

1470702962599.jpg

Paint!? it just needs a shot of clear coat and a motor to fly it on.

Ya know, I just might have one of these laying around in my build pile. I'll have to look tomorrow night... I know I have a green DarkStar Mini. I'm sure there is another mini with it, I just don't remember what it is. Old age is hell... Maybe this winter I should build my 4" Vindicator DD. From 2012... :facepalm:

Adrian

Back