Wildman Mach 3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Broke the 1/4-20 solid rod end in the process.
View attachment 413608
Great build. Thanks for posting. I almost bought this rocket at the big WM sale but that would be getting a little ahead of myself. I am planning to use a rod end exactly like that for the top side of my Punisher 3 bay. Was this failure user induced (maybe we should be calling you Hercules??) or are these rod ends soft?

Last edited:
Great build. Thanks for posting. I almost bought this rocket at the big sale at the big WM sale but that would be getting a little ahead of myself. I am planning to use a rod end exactly like that for the top side of my Punisher 3 bay. Was this failure user induced (maybe we should be calling you Hercules??) or are these rod ends soft?
It didnt seem like like I was strong arming it, but its possible I cranked it a bit much. I just hit the spare parts bin and moved forward.

Do you think these rod ends are durable and safe to use? I've got a few but have yet to out them in use. I've seen similar with the smaller eye bolts that we use but that rod end looked stronger than the usual parts.

Do you think these rod ends are durable and safe to use? I've got a few but have yet to out them in use. I've seen similar with the smaller eye bolts that we use but that rod end looked stronger than the usual parts.
I can say I have done some wild things with them, but they are not weight rated, so as always, YMMV.

Great job JF hope it flys all the way to Pluto. How many shear pins will you be useing?

(1) 2-56 in the drogue, (2) 2-56 in the main. The coupler/NC shoulder fit is spot on, so nothing sloppy needing a ton of pins to hold on (famous last words). :)

Looks like your going with one altimeter and the two chargers? I to am not a fan of metal av-bay lids.
Correct, one altimeter, 1 drogue charge, 1 main charge. I've flown many minimum diameter birds with one altimeter without issue.

I need to map out cutting a G10 plate, get the RRC3 mounted, switch mounted, and go from there.

Can you cut slots in each end of the plastic sled to make room for the nuts? Not sure if the center nuts to the u-bolt will impact the altimeter or not.

was the OD off on the bulk plate ?
I'm assuming so, but didn't measure it before mocking the bay up and filing away. OD of the aluminum plates is roughly 2.98" after filing.

There is a little added slop on the inside of the coupler as well due to the diameter of the step in the bulkhead as compared to ID of coupler. The step on the bulkhead measures 2.842", and the ID of the coupler measures 2.885"

Back