Wildman Jr Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would just leave the fin alone. It should still fly straight. Besides thn you can paint the offending fin a different color and name the bird "offending FINatical fist of fury" then you can tell every one you built it that way on purpose.
This last weekend, I signed off a gents L2 on a jr with a J350. WoW talk about fast! Luckily he had a Rocket Hunter on board.
I also got to watch Tim fly his prototype many times in a row. On the first flight I comment " nice tangled shroud lines. "" What shroudlines" he said. He was flying the prototype on a 3 maybe 3 1/2 foot streamer. Fast accent, fast descent. 3 or 4 times with no damage whatsoever. Don't do this though as it will probably void your warranty. Can't wait for this weekend to start building mine.
Yeah, I am leaving the fin be as it is..It really isn't all that noticeable..You have to LOOK for it..Don't know, just may paint them all the same color..Will have to see how motivated I get when it comes time for the paint..lol..

:jaw:Oh my, a post on some progress of Pantherjon's Wildman Jr!:y:

Yes, believe it or not, I have finished up the build and am now in the PAINTING stage! I have just recently-minutes ago- applied the primer bases on the rocket!

And I even have a FANCIER holder then dlb does! It's called a 3/16" launch rod supported by a door hinge and door knob!(See first picture). And the sustainer is supported by a 1" dowel!(See 2nd picture)..Can't get any 'fancier' then that boys!

And it was a lot of fun spraying it on trying to dodge the wind gusts! Because my ultra fancy paint booth is out on the front porch!

As you can tell, these are 2 types of primer..As I have shifted my paint scheme a little bit and it will be a 2 tone job..I think it is going to look spectacular! Will wait a couple of hours and spray the colors-hopefully by then the winds will die down some..

So, close your mouths and rub your eyes, you are NOT seeing things! I am making progress and my Wildman Jr WILL fly in 2 weeks!

Wildman Jr 022.jpg

Wildman Jr 024.jpg

OMG, 2 posts on the Wildman Jr in a single 24 hr period!:jaw::roll:

Yeah, and expect another one later this morning with pictures of it in the sun!

Got the colors sprayed on! And there was much rejoicing in the PJ household, and a distinct stink of paint drying too!..LOL..

Anyway, I went with red on top and black on the bottom..Will be getting some stickers shortly of flames which will go around the mid section and flames on the fins.Oh, and a 'Wildman Jr' decal too!.Gonna look even better when those get put on..

Right now you can't see the sparkles. But, the upper section is Duplicolor Red Metal Specks and the lower section is Rustoleum Metallic Black..Final weight is 3lb 5.7oz

Pic 1 is with flash, pic 2 without..

Wildman Jr 025.jpg

Wildman Jr 027.jpg

Awesome color selection. Looks great! Please post the flight report.

I'm thinking about buying a triplet of these for my girls to compliment their Little Dogs

Last edited:
Glad you like the color selection John!..Just wish the weather would cooperate..lol..Was cloudy and windy all day today and supposed to have some thunder storm activity tomorrow..Will try to get an outdoor shot in the sun to show off the 'sparklies', soon I hope..

Will for sure post launch results!

I am starting my Wildman Jr. and it did not come with any harnessing (did it use to)? What size Kevlar tubing did you use for the Jr. motor mount? It looks like 1/8"? Is it the 750 lb. test stuff?

Mark Barkasy Sr.
NAR# 5038

The Jr,s instructions say to mount the two launch rail buttons in line and thru the body and motor mount rings. That seems way too close to the end and the last motor mount ring position will make the button way to close to the body tube end?

Mark Barkasy Sr.
NAR# 5038

Last edited:
if the button is TTW'd into a centering ring, then its perfect, but if it's free floating then you'd wanna have a nut on the otehr side to anchor it down :)

I ended up using 3 rail buttons on mine. 2 into the CRs at the aft end, and a third into the switchband of the altimeter bay.

I am starting my Wildman Jr. and it did not come with any harnessing (did it use to)? What size Kevlar tubing did you use for the Jr. motor mount? It looks like 1/8"? Is it the 750 lb. test stuff?

Mark Barkasy Sr.
NAR# 5038

Use 1/4 inch, that's what I used on my darkstar (basically the split fin version of the Wildman Jr.)

Braden

Since my Jr. came with 3 moter mount centering rings (not shown on the instructions), I will mount it on the very end of the ejection end, then rail button thru that and the far exhaust end one.

I WILL install a THIRD button on the altimeter bay for dual flights to lessen any leverage forces on take off for that longert configuration.

Looks like the 2000 pound Kev is .23 inch so I will go with that for Jr. and any other High-Power rockets that I build. Motor mount harnesses seems permanent on most but since Bay and nose harnesses are almost always detachable the extra cost makes sense. I will use those same harnesses on my other future fleet!

Any other tricks on making Jr. will be apreciated, I will be using this for Mid flying and getting my Level 1 and 2!

Mark Barkasy Sr.
NAR# 5038

I WILL install a THIRD button on the altimeter bay for dual flights to lessen any leverage forces on take off for that longer configuration.

I can understand your thinking that there would be leverage on the long configuration, but I really don't think the 3rd rail button is all that necessary.Plus, I would think that it would be a royal PITA to get lined up with the other two, and once you do, a good gust of wind could cause it to shift ever so slightly and then cause major binding on the rail which in turn scrubs a ton of speed at launch..I have flown mine numerous time with no problems, with just the 2 rail buttons secured into the centering rings..Just saying....

There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way..Each to their own preference...

I am a design-drafter so making a small "V" and matching notch to prevent torqueing out of line would not be a problem!

Or maby just a shear pin?

Mark Barkasy Sr.
NAR# 5038
"So long and thanks for all the fish ... " :cool:

Last edited:
I use an alignment mark as you describe, coupled with a tight fit between the avbay and lower airframe, to prevent it torquing out of alignment.

2-56 or 4-40 nylon screws used as shear pins would also work.

I bought 100 2-56 nylon screws from McMasters-Carr a few months ago!

Mark Barkasy Sr.
NAR# 5038
"So long and thanks for all the fish ..." :cool:

Last edited:
Help me decide..Rip out the offending fin and redo, or just leave it as is?

Here are a few pictures of the fin can from the business end so you can be the judge:

Pic1 has fin #1 up
Pic 2 has fin #2 up
And Pic 3 has fin #3 up

I think when I originally lined up the fins I looked at the #3 orientation and used the TLAR(that looks about right) method. Because in that shot the fins all do look pretty close to being in the right alignment..

The best tool I have found for fin alignment without using cad is available on the Payload Bay website. https://www.payloadbay.com/index.php?page=Tools&action=FINGUIDES
I print out the guide and use 3M adhesive to glue it to foam board. Then I cut out the hole for the tube and the slots for the fins. Perfect alignment.

I WILL install a THIRD button on the altimeter bay for dual flights to lessen any leverage forces on take off for that longert configuration.

Mark Barkasy Sr.
NAR# 5038

Simply put NO!

Use a 1/8 bit for pilot hole & thread the button screw right in.

Put them where it shows in the instructions. They are here if you don't have them. https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/default.asp?groupid=1&groupid1=612121482&groupid2=104490114

3rd one is a waste of time, there is absolutely no need for it.

We have flown this rocket on every conceivable motor out there & it flies just fine.

Bottom of airframe & near top CR. If it needed it ..... I would have put it in the manual.

I'll second what Jim said. I've never installed more than 2 rail buttons on any of my rockets. Even my Ultimate Wildman has only 2 buttons. I flew it on an N10,000 off a 1515 rail with no issues at all.

My extended Extreme Darkstar has two 1010 buttons. It weighs a little over 20lbs on the pad with a K motor. A 6 pound Wildman Jr will have no problems. :)

The best tool I have found for fin alignment without using cad is available on the Payload Bay website. https://www.payloadbay.com/index.php?page=Tools&action=FINGUIDES
I print out the guide and use 3M adhesive to glue it to foam board. Then I cut out the hole for the tube and the slots for the fins. Perfect alignment.

Found that AFTER the build!:mad:

I left the fins as they were..Rocket has flown numerous times and flies straight despite my inept fin alignment job!:roll:

What I am questioning is the POSITION instructed to place these two buttons, I agree that two buttons cause less potential binding.

I have read on another manufactor source that the CG area should be the first button locations.

Mark Barkasy Sr.
NAR# 5038

Honestly, on that size of rocket, position doesn't matter very much. Where the instructions recommend is just fine.

Back