Wildman - Intimadator 4

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tollyman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have just started building the intimidator 4 kit from wildman. This will be for my L3 certification, hopefully to be launched at Midwest power this year. So here is the first stages of the build. East system epoxy and Jb weld are he two epoxy systems used so far and I will use RocketPoxy for the fillets 20190712_221217.jpeg20190712_232214.jpeg20190713_083717.jpeg

The aft centering was made to be removed after your fins were tacked on place with Jb weld. Then 7oz fiberglass was inserted such that it would give greater strength for the internal fillets. After all 3 fin sections are done I will cap off the end and then inject more epoxy to allow it to better fill the fillets without pouring out. Last picture I have the aeropack motor retainer dry fit for looks.20190717_225629.jpeg20190717_225640.jpeg20190718_232203.jpeg

Looks good.
What're you doing for recovery harness attachment?
So I'm kind of ignoring Wildmans instructions on the recovery harness. (Epoxy the Kevlar strap to the mmt). Instead all the casings that I have currently have a threaded spot for an eyebolt so that was the plan. I have 1/2” braided Kevlar from a previous project that I plan on using. It won't fit between the 4" body tube and 3" MMT without taking a big chunk out of the centering ring and If I installed eyebolts into the centering rings it's too close to the body tube to use with the 3" motor.

Not that there’s anything wrong with posting here but you may get more attention to this as a build thread rather than a photo finish thread in the high power section of the forum

So I'm kind of ignoring Wildmans instructions on the recovery harness. (Epoxy the Kevlar strap to the mmt). Instead all the casings that I have currently have a threaded spot for an eyebolt so that was the plan. I have 1/2” braided Kevlar from a previous project that I plan on using. It won't fit between the 4" body tube and 3" MMT without taking a big chunk out of the centering ring and If I installed eyebolts into the centering rings it's too close to the body tube to use with the 3" motor.
That works.
Following along... Chances are good I'll be the one pushing the button at MWP...

Not that there’s anything wrong with posting here but you may get more attention to this as a build thread rather than a photo finish thread in the high power section of the forum
I appreciate the advice, I'll probably keep this here because I have it started but I will remember it for next time, thanks!

I would glue a 1" flat braid kevlar to mmt. Even if you have no plans to use it at this time you may wish you did down the road.
Well it's a little too late for that....I have myself on a pretty tight timeframe and I didnt have strap when I started the build so I decided to omit it. If I had quick access to the strap Kevlar when I started I would have done it 100%

I'm looking at about the same speed but lower altitude. Probably around 14kft. I'm still in building so I'm thinking it will gain some weight as well.

Not sure why I hit 17 . It goes 17 on the 7600 motors. Yes mine went 14600.

Attachments

• 20190409_081526.png
    20190409_081526.png
    229.6 KB · Views: 83
Per the previous post I had epoxied some fiberglass cloth as reinforcement for the internal fillets. I then sealed up the aft with the bulkhead and flooded it with epoxy. I also scavenged my 75mm aeropack retainer from a broken rocket and epoxied that on with Jb weld.

I decided to do injected fillets as well. In order to make sure there was no leaking I stood the rocket upright and sealed the top centering ring and bottom centering ring. Probably about 1/8" of epoxy for each. I used between 12 and 17 grams of epoxy per internal fin fillet.

I very much like the other way of doing internal fillets by having the entire fin can seperate and doing all the fillets then Inserting later. I think with doing the first layer of glass and epoxy it should be good. Working designing the 3d parts for the avionics bay.

External fillets will be done with RocketPoxy. I left that back at my college house so it will have to wait till mid august. The tail feels real heavy for the size of the rocket so I am a little worried about stability but with the huge fins I think it will be fine

Back