Wildman Demon 5 deployment charges (with video!)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StreuB1

Reaction score
Wanted to post this for other peoples benefit. I know some people don't like to pass on their documented successes with regard to ejection charges but I think its helpful to others.

This is my Demon 5 that I am hoping to fly tomorrow on an L1520T at the QCRC club launch.

Demon 5 is a 5" all fiberglass rocket from Wildmans and it uses HED (head end deployment).

Drogue section is just a OneBadHawk 2-loop kevlar bridle. Using PVC charge pots and ch-ch-ch-china e-matches. Retention is via (4) #2-56 nylon screws as shear pins. Charge was 3.6g of 3F Swiss black powder tightly packed and achieved full extension.

Main section (nose cone) is a OneBadHawk 3-loop kevlar bridle, 18" nomex protector, 48" nomex sheath, 60" Recon chute. Also using PVC charge pots and e-matches. Charge was initially 1.9g of 3F BP and a tighter fitting chute bundle. This first test DID NOT achieve full extension and the chute bundle remained in the nose cone. Unsure if this failure was due to the tight fitting chute in the N/C or the charge, I opted to modify both.

Second test of the Main was with 2.2g of 3F BP and a looser fitting (tighter bundle) in the nose cone. This time, there was a much more energetic impulse and the result was a full extension of the laundry.

Obviously, your mileage may vary so you must test on your own and take responsibility for your own actions. These results are mine and mine only.

Noticed that you say 2 #2 pins for the nose.

Word of caution there. I used 2 #2 pins on my WM Drago 4 and had a situation where the pins did not hold the nose on the e-bay when the apogee charges fired. Without that there was no chance that the main would be deployed as the main charges fired into open air.

sickening feeling to watch her fall from 3500’, hear the charges fired and continue falling.

have since moved to 4 #2 pins and all has been good.

Noticed that you say 2 #2 pins for the nose.

Word of caution there. I used 2 #2 pins on my WM Drago 4 and had a situation where the pins did not hold the nose on the e-bay when the apogee charges fired. Without that there was no chance that the main would be deployed as the main charges fired into open air.

sickening feeling to watch her fall from 3500’, hear the charges fired and continue falling.

have since moved to 4 #2 pins and all has been good.

I misspoke in the video. I clarify in the description. This actually reaffirms my decision to use 4 pins! :)

Back