Wildman Darkstar JR Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeQuigley

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've been letting my rocketry stuff languish for a little too long so I've decided to get back into the game :). I got a Darkstar Jr. on Black Saturday, and today I got around to sanding and dry fitting.

Here's the workshop- I've already marked the motor mount tube
DSC_0122.jpg
And dry fit!
DSC_0123.jpg

I think tomorrow I'll start epoxying together the NC and CRs, and do fins/fillets next weekend. I wasn't able to find chopped carbon fiber at Ace (no surprise there), is it safe to skip it and simply have slightly more substantial external fillets? I have some epoxy clay I was intending on using for the external fillets.
I also read ahead to see how alt bay assembly happens, and it isn't specific. Does anyone have any recommendations for it? I think I like the two-threaded-rods approach but I'm open to suggestions.
Looks like there are two lengths of eye bolts, two 'short' ones and one 'long' one. I figure the long one is for the NC bulkhead and the short ones are for the alt bay bulkheads, can someone confirm?

Man, I can't wait to fly this thing! If you've ever seen rockets I've built, you'll know I'm not exactly known for paint quality :lol: But I'd like to really do this one up nice. I have some wet-dry paper at 400, 800, and 1500 grit, but I've never really used it for painting. Anyone have any suggestions for getting a nice spray-paint job?

Thanks!

-Joe

give the parts a bath and rinse the fg dust off the parts, give it another bath before painting. last fg rocket I built I used 320 grit sand paper and an electric sander.
Rex

Sorry- I would go with poured fillets and nix the epoxy clay. Check some of Crazy Jim's build threads for masking and pulling info-they turn out super nice and are less mass at the back end. RocketPoxy is pretty resilient against cracks on landing. Straight smoke and good chutes!

Hey everyone!

1. I wasn't able to find chopped carbon fiber at Ace (no surprise there), is it safe to skip it and simply have slightly more substantial external fillets?

2.I have some epoxy clay I was intending on using for the external fillets.

3.I also read ahead to see how alt bay assembly happens, and it isn't specific. Does anyone have any recommendations for it? I think I like the two-threaded-rods approach but I'm open to suggestions.

4.Looks like there are two lengths of eye bolts, two 'short' ones and one 'long' one. I figure the long one is for the NC bulkhead and the short ones are for the alt bay bulkheads, can someone confirm?

5. Anyone have any suggestions for getting a nice spray-paint job?

Thanks!

-Joe

1.yes you may skip.

2. NO do NOT use epoxy clay for external fillets. Stick with epoxy & some filler/thickener...mix to peanut butter consistency for Use. Or use RocketPoxy...all fillers already in it, do NOT add anything as that will weaken it, as per manufacturer literature.
There is a section in thread mentioned below, dedicated to explaining how to lay-out and get great fillets.

3. I might suggest reading the "sticky" at top of high power titled :
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-quot-Stock-quot-3IN-DARKSTAR-CJ-Step-By-Step

Here you will find all your questions answered in great detail on how to build a Darkstar [or any fiberglass rocket for that matter.]

There is a header where you can skip to different parts of build, like av-bay assembly.....

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...x-quot-build-starts-now!!&p=448129#post448129

in this case [your DS Jr kit] substitute # 6 threaded rod & nutz for the # 10 shown. Just scale things down, the build is basically identical just a 3in diameter & your is 54mm diam.

4. correct short for bulk plates & long for NC.

5. you have a long way to go before worrying about paint. Get along a bit then attack that subject. Fiberglass is a breeze to paint compared to cardboard and wood.

Good luck, have fun, there are many of us here, who built this kit that can help you achieve you goals! :smile:

Good build thread JoeQuigley !

The guys are right.. check out some of CJs build thread for the DarkStar 3 .. walks you through step by step with pics...very helpful with the split fins .

I have a number of the Wildman rockets and do a light wet sand and clear with future .. no paint . Makes the colored fg pop. Mark at stickershock23.com has custom decals for this also. Some of the die hards will build and fly - letting the rocket earn its finish and stickers

Kenny

Back