WILDMAN - DarkStar Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darkstar.....extreme under construction, but will be ready to race at MWP (Jim???)

als sale 013.jpg

The Ultimate DarkStar is completed. Should have the Extreme ready early next week... It will be a DarkStar weekend at RG...

finalultimate.JPG

Still pending artwork, however here is my entry for the "Flight For The Cure" at Red Glare IX

The Project is

Real Men Fly Pink Rockets
(but only for a really good cause!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Still pending artwork, however here is my entry for the "Flight For The Cure" at Red Glare IX

The Project is

Real Men Fly Pink Rockets
(but only for a really good cause!!!)

That should definitely get an M1675...

Here's the first DarkStar (proto).
54mm airframe, Dual deploy, 38mm motor

I have to add my 4" soon, paint first

DS_long2.jpg

you guys are making me jealous, I may have to pack one up and bring it home with me from MWP8....

Simply AWESOME.

Al The pink looks AWESOME. you asked about applying your decals are you doing MWP? If so I could help you out there.

:clap:

OK, so I show her Naked
4 inch
Min Dia.
AV bay can hold 4 alt's with easy, bay is also shorter.
only 9.25lb total.
she will be black, red and yellow

darkstar4inchMD_DD.jpg

OK now I can add the Finshed Darkstar.
Changed the color scheme a bit and added that EFX clear coat on top of it all!

Forgot to show the busy end and see that there's no motor mount ( will there is (98m))

DS_done1.jpg

DS_done2.jpg

DS_done3.jpg

DS_done4.jpg

Last edited:
OK now I can add the Finshed Darkstar.
Changed the color scheme a bit and added that EFX clear coat on top of it all!

Wow--love the "EFX clear coat"! Can you give more details as to what it is, where to get it and how best to apply it? Really nice, Don!

What size chutes are you guys using for the extreme variants?
I'm having trouble deciding on which chute to use..... I may need more space as the 24" payload section may not be big enough for the chute that I'd like to use.

Thanks

JD

I'm having trouble deciding on which chute to use..... I may need more space as the 24" payload section may not be big enough for the chute that I'd like to use.

Thanks

JD

I used an 84" topflight (borrowed) and I bought a topflight ultra X 90"

Wow--love the "EFX clear coat"! Can you give more details as to what it is, where to get it and how best to apply it? Really nice, Don!

found it at a automotive store that handled Dupli-color paints

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/effex/

very cool stuff, I only added two light coats to get the effect and still remained black.

Hey Mark does Tripoli Vegas still have 20K or 25K call ins, try to find a place to launch a Long burn "N" in her.
or Delamar if it's still 100K or Black Rock

Last edited:
found it at a automotive store that handled Dupli-color paints

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/effex/

very cool stuff, I only added two light coats to get the effect and still remained black.

Hey Mark does Tripoli Vegas still have 20K or 25K call ins, try to find a place to launch a Long burn "N" in her.
or Delamar if it's still 100K or Black Rock

Well, we had an EX launch yesterday, we got clearance from the salt lake tower to 30k. I'm not sure how often that comes up. At any regular launch, we have call ins to 20,700 feet.

This is tripoli Idaho by the way. PM me if you want more info. The EX launch was not sanctioned, it was a private event held by my buddy who has his own waiver.

Braden

Very nice, even Faux looks great, my next one will be CF

Love the decal, looks like a dark crystal font, nice touch!:D

Thanks, Mark at Stickershock did the lettering. Holographic material. Looks awesome in the sun.

Mike

Thanks

JD

I think we are planning on leaving the nose cone open, and using a tac-9a
I have one and am very happy with it.

Gallery wouldn't be complete without the "Mega DarkStar" would it?

Along with the standard 54mm

Lite

Mini

100_6181.jpg

100_3481_2.jpg

100_4190_2.jpg

100_8336_2.jpg

The 24" payload section is a tad on the short side for a rocket of this weight. I'm thinking about chopping the booster 26" then swap that for the 24" section. to give me some much needed room.

JD

I think we are planning on leaving the nose cone open, and using a tac-9a
I have one and am very happy with it.

The 24" payload section is a tad on the short side for a rocket of this weight. I'm thinking about chopping the booster 26" then swap that for the 24" section. to give me some much needed room.

JD

2"... just move the vent band to 3" from top end.. gains same volume

OR shorten the AV Coupler or/and move the band.
I got a 9" coupler and a gain in the Main chute area, and no problem packing a TF 84" black chute, but I only using 3/8 tubular Kevlar tubing.

Anyone have pictures of the 4 inch dual deploy one? I want to see it...I'm considering it.

Braden

My wife will probably start her build this weekend, I will start a build thread on it if you are interested.
Darkstars were everywhere at airfest... it was odd how i hadnt seen one in person then they were everywhere...
I didnt see an ultimate- But everything from light to extreme...

And, i will say the cool factor of the rocket apearance is exponetional with size... the extreme is just awesome looking...

Back