Wildman blackhawk 98mm XL on an M6000ST, any advice?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh sometimes he is just some guy i know, other times i admit he is my son, depends what he did!šŸ˜†

Ive got Big Bada Boom (5ā€ Wildman Shapeshifter) ready to go up on an N2000, maybe Argonia Cup, maybe out in Vegas in May with Tannor or at Airfest. Got carried away at Wildmans sale. Now tannor has my interest peaked with these blackhawk kits so a 54 or 75mm BH is probably in the cards soon.

LOL!!! I had no idea he was your son! I thought he was someone you were mentoring. In that case, he can just borrow all your hardware and electronics like any good son would!! šŸ˜†

Yeah a few guys here in IL mentioned to me about the Argonia Cup launch and that sounds like a great time. My first time to Argonia was this past Airfest and I tell ya, I am hooked now and will be back every year, no question. I might be able to swing Argonia Cup but its hard to say right now with work and school. That 5" SS on an N2K will be a sight to see!!! I got the M2 at the WM sale and it will be my first MD rocket so I hear ya about having your interest peaked! Justin and a few others in their recent build threads caused me to buy it. Also, I needed something a little smaller to fly at times on small motors. Can't always be burning $160+ loads.

I have far more standard DD flights than HED, but so far so good. The ejection charge is more an omnidirectional pressurization than a force vector. Good packing helps - Attach the chute near the nose cone tip, pack the shockcord first into the nose tip, then the chute last.

IMHO this is wrong. All my HED rockets have the chute attached to the AV bay. This makes sure the chute is pulled out of the cone. I also place the charges in the nosecone tip first. which also makes sure the chute exits the cone. I pack the charges first into the tip, then pack the shock cord into the cone on top of the charges, then the chute. I've never had a failure of HED deployment (well, as long as the chute is attached to the AV bay anchor...) yet.

For what its worth, your revised plan isn't a bad one.

However, what is your end goal? To get L3 and say you achieved it? Do you want to enjoy the hobby on your way to L3 also? I didn't really set any goals on my way to L3. I just decided "Hm, I've been flying since 1994, and this opportunity fell into my lap, why not?" after building and flying countless rockets. As I built my L3 rocket, I focused on recovering rockets using electronics based ejection - intentionally leaving the BP out of the motors. Took me a while to trust the electronics and not use the motors as a backup, but now I fly 100% electronics based unless it's a small rocket... But even then.. lol.

Either way, enjoy the adventure.

Back