Wildman AGM-78 ARM Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deandome

Reaction score
Got my kit yesterday, probably one of the first, as I'm here in Northern Illinois. Problem is, this is my first build in probably 6-7 years, so I'm gonna be the one waiting for one of YOUR build-threads, not create my own!

But I do know what I'm doing...so I'm specifically asking if the CP has been figured out & made available by anyone yet? I'll also be looking for help with
  • nose-weight; if/how much....though I also know that's dependent on final weight, motor choice, etc.
  • Chine-fin attachment techniques (strength without having big external fillets, which I think would detract from the looks
  • Nose cone & av-bay; payload section looks small, so should I go with the 'open' nosecone shock-mount method to create a larger space for the chute/cords, or with a bulkhead, which I've always done?
  • I don't have kit with me, but I forget if there's a switch-band or not. if not, do I want to make one? how big a vent hole (or is that the one in the BT and the one for the altimeter called a pressure hole or something? that's the stuff I don't remember!)
Looking forward to building this kit, along with...and a bit after...others here do it much better than I can/will.:D BTW, gotta say how glad I am I didn't jump back into the hobby when the Andromeda was released earlier in year!! I would have been SOOO lost on that one; it was literally in my shopping cart & then was debating between carbon vs glass fins...then I just let it go (thank god!)!! Has anyone flown that kit yet? The build threads have been amazing...but updates have been slow of late; how they goin'?

Thanks!
Dean

Last edited:
There is a Rocksim file on the Wildman site for this rocket - it shows the CP at 52.69 inches from the tip of the NC.

But I highly recommend you create a file for yourself from the parts you received. The generic files almost never are accurate to the shipping parts.

I took a look at WM's RockSim file. It does need a lot of massaging to bring it closer to reality, which is the norm. Based on WM's listed specs and some clue's within the RockSim file, I created an OpenRocket version (I do not own a copy of RockSim).

Please note that I do not have this kit in my possession to verify the accuracy of the OpenRocket file. Still, if anyone is interested in it, here it is.

Edit: Ooops, forgot to include shockcord... File updated.

Attachments

• AGM-78 Standard ARM.ork
    2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
It doesn't say on the page for it but it is listed under their 4" kit link. I didn't see it available in any other size.

-Bob

Got my kit yesterday, probably one of the first, as I'm here in Northern Illinois. Problem is, this is my first build in probably 6-7 years, so I'm gonna be the one waiting for one of YOUR build-threads, not create my own!

But I do know what I'm doing...so I'm specifically asking if the CP has been figured out & made available by anyone yet? I'll also be looking for help with
  • nose-weight; if/how much....though I also know that's dependent on final weight, motor choice, etc.
  • Chine-fin attachment techniques (strength without having big external fillets, which I think would detract from the looks
  • Nose cone & av-bay; payload section looks small, so should I go with the 'open' nosecone shock-mount method to create a larger space for the chute/cords, or with a bulkhead, which I've always done?
  • I don't have kit with me, but I forget if there's a switch-band or not. if not, do I want to make one? how big a vent hole (or is that the one in the BT and the one for the altimeter called a pressure hole or something? that's the stuff I don't remember!)
Looking forward to building this kit, along with...and a bit after...others here do it much better than I can/will.:D BTW, gotta say how glad I am I didn't jump back into the hobby when the Andromeda was released earlier in year!! I would have been SOOO lost on that one; it was literally in my shopping cart & then was debating between carbon vs glass fins...then I just let it go (thank god!)!! Has anyone flown that kit yet? The build threads have been amazing...but updates have been slow of late; how they goin'?

Thanks!
Dean
HI did you get the AGM 78 built? I am looking for info on how it flys, if nose weight was needed, and what motor was used. I am thinking of buying the kit.
Thanks

Haven't gotten into the build yet. Beveled all the fins, washed and sanded everything, but haven't put down any epoxy yet

I have a built Wildman AGM-78, and a Rocksim file too. No noseweight necessary. I have everything but the shock cords, chute protectors, and chutes entered into my sim. The AV bay has everything in it with the weight entered, including the battery. So, if you’re interested in yet another Rocksim file, just reply to my post and I will attach it.

Haven’t yet flown mine due to Covid; the kit was a Covid build.

I took a look at WM's RockSim file. It does need a lot of massaging to bring it closer to reality, which is the norm. Based on WM's listed specs and some clue's within the RockSim file, I created an OpenRocket version (I do not own a copy of RockSim).

Please note that I do not have this kit in my possession to verify the accuracy of the OpenRocket file. Still, if anyone is interested in it, here it is.

Edit: Ooops, forgot to include shockcord... File updated.

Thanks for this. (Yes. I know necro).

I have a 4" AGM-78, been hanging in the basement rafters for 16 years.

I forget where I got it. Built solid AF. Time to fly it!

38mm mount.

Back