Wife's Away - Time to Play 2021

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My wife has gone on a vacation with her Niece and Sister, leaving me home alone.
Boy - what a mistake.........
I do have various items on a to-do list, so I can't JUST do rockets, but I hope to get a good start on them.
(and yes, I should work to finish my WM Andromeda, but I wanted to start some new ones).

So which ones?
After some thought I've decided to work the following:
AMW - Bigger Bertha - Limited run offered at NSL 2018
US Rockets - Starlight 2.7 - not certain what the status of this kit is
Madcow - Martian Transport - design is OOP
Rocket in a Box - Galaxy Spacelines - company out of business

I'd say the Bigger Bertha but while she's gone, you're free, free, free! I say you go nuts and build them all! :clapping:

For those not familiar, Rocket in a Box had a unique concept. They felt that rockets were more likely to get damaged in transport to/from the field than in flight/landing. They also tended to do things "low tech", such as using a champagne flute for a nose cone.

One issue with their concept is, to allow the rocket to be disassembled for transport creates weak points that I feel make the rocket more susceptible to damage while flying. In fact, it came with a part damaged but fortunately I got a replacement before they went out of business.
I'm thinking of not building it "stock" and instead building it be permanently assembled. Thoughts?

I used to have another of their kits that I did build stock. Unfortunately it got treed on its second flight. But I stopped bothering with the assembly/disassembly.

For those not familiar, Rocket in a Box had a unique concept. They felt that rockets were more likely to get damaged in transport to/from the field than in flight/landing. They also tended to do things "low tech", such as using a champagne flute for a nose cone.

One issue with their concept is, to allow the rocket to be disassembled for transport creates weak points that I feel make the rocket more susceptible to damage while flying. In fact, it came with a part damaged but fortunately I got a replacement before they went out of business.
I'm thinking of not building it "stock" and instead building it be permanently assembled. Thoughts?

I used to have another of their kits that I did build stock. Unfortunately it got treed on its second flight. But I stopped bothering with the assembly/disassembly.
I remember selling them chites for there kits. Wonder what their up to these days. Father and son had the business.

Rocket in a box - Galaxy.
They provided a "coupler" with tape wrapped around it so it fit the tube and a champagne flute
IMG_6895.jpg

Fit the coupler into the nose cone (flute).
IMG_6896.jpg

Insert the coupler into the tube and verify fit/placement. Remove and place a ring of glue inside the tube - Reinstall and wait for the glue to dry.
IMG_6897.jpg IMG_6898.jpg

The flute is just held on by friction. Their directions do this since it would need to be removed to store in the box.
I'm leaving it that way in case of damage and it needs to be replaced.

You need to "build" the coupler for the other end with a transition. They provide a sliced tube. You have to glue the ends together to make it into a coupler. They call out to use tape to secure the ends while the glue dries. I also added some rubber bands.

IMG_6899.jpg IMG_6900.jpg

Otherwise, spiral filling time. And the internal rings for the Starlight have some whopping ones....

IMG_6901.jpg IMG_6902.jpg

And this is our dining room, although that is my rocket launch table.
The real dining room table is in the garage being refinished.........
Again - please don't let my wife know I'm building rockets in the house!

And at this point, stuff needs to dry. More tomorrow....

Ha,
My wife had to go to help her parents and sister..
She's been gone a week and a half..
I've been enjoying the peace,
but I must admit,
I've ( thankfully ) been busy as heck and she does a lot..

( Thank you all by the way, lol.. )

Teddy

Today, I spent WAY too much time sanding the tubes - and I didn't even finish them all!
I felt a bit like Sisyphus - every time I rotated a tube there were more spirals to sign. I swear they either grew or regenerated the F&F........

I also have a bit of a rant. I've had kits with errors in the instructions or issues with how the parts are made.
Here I am doing a multi-build like I normally do, but every stinking kit has some problem........

Bigger Bertha - when it came, the coupler was stuck inside the tube. OK - I'll slide a bulkplate down and push it out. But the bulkplate passed right through the coupler. I then tried a motor centering ring and successfully removed the coupler. Here is a pix of the bulkplate compared to the centering ring (note - the opposite sides are flush with each other). Not too big a difference, but enough. If I set this up for dual deployment the bulkplates will just slide right through the coupler!
IMG_6904.jpg

RIB Galaxy - the motor tubes are to be glued to a plywood centering ring. The holes as supplied are way too big. I've glued a paper strip around the tube to help fill the gap.
IMG_6905.jpg IMG_6906.jpg

MC Martian Transport - The motor tube has to be glued to its centering ring. It has a similar problem as the RIB Galaxy, but not quite as bad. A full strip of paper will be too thick, but as is, it is too loose. I may add a strip of paper and sand out the hole. No pix.

USR Starlight - I started reviewing the instructions and found an issue - well, a few issues - one minor and one major and one inbetween. Minor - the instruction discuss having 3 rings, but the design only has two. Major - the instructions call to mount the main fins 2.25" from the bottom. When I laid the fins out, that dimension seemed wrong. And they are wrong. Moderate - I need to sand the fins to get them to fit.
IMG_6909.jpg
I marked and laid out the strake with the fin. The pencil mark is at 2.25" The ruler shows the dimension for the ring that mounts to the strake. There is 1.25" available. But the ring is 2" wide. So the fin really needs to be at 3". I have an Estes clone and have a pix of how the ring needs to be.
IMG_6910.jpg IMG_6911.jpg

So what did I accomplish? Besides a sore arm from sanding?????

RIB Galaxy - glued a bulkhead into the coupler that had to be glued lengthwise. Followed up by gluing a smaller disk and dowel to this first bulkhead.
IMG_6903.jpg IMG_6907.jpg

I also glued the motor tubes (with the added paper strip) to the lower plywood centering ring. The upper ring is just "sitting there" to help ensure the tubes are aligned.
IMG_6912.jpg

USR Starlight - glued in the coupler with the "baffle" to both tubes. Used the kitchen island so I could roll the tubes to ensure they were aligned.

Attachments

• IMG_6908.jpg
    IMG_6908.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 7
Martian Transport - added strips to motor tube. Glued to CR. Added kevlar/nylon cord.
IMG_6913.jpg IMG_6943.jpg

The instructions state to ensure that the CR will not interfere with the fin tangs. Don't really see that as an issue....
Glued motor tube into body tube (shown on right). The tube on the left is the motor mount for the Starlight.
IMG_6944.jpg IMG_6945.jpg

Bigger Bertha - No instructions, so I guestimated where to install the CR on the motor tube.
Also attached the coupler tube to the nose cone.
IMG_6922.jpg IMG_6926.jpg

Starlight - Marked the strakes for sanding - and the final result
IMG_6917.jpg IMG_6928.jpg

Also noted that several pieces will need cleanup due to chips/chunks. Attached the CR to the motor tube - shown in picture above.
IMG_6923.jpg

Thought I would do a quick write up on the Galaxy Rocket in a Box. Everything will be dry fitted.
There is some clever engineering - but I'm still going to build it permanent....

Below are the various parts for the wing. Main lower wing, upper wing, two winglets, two "pods", various strips and dowels.
IMG_6929.jpg

Since the fins are not glued in, since they have to be removable, the strips act as guides and to strengthen joints. They would be attached as shown below: The vertical thin strips provide support to the fin/body joint. The horizontal strips allow the upper wing to slide across the lower wing.
IMG_6930.jpg

The pod is used to secure the winglet. One winglet is slid into the slot, the pod is slid over the wing/winglet joint, and then a dowel locks the pod to the winglet.
IMG_6932.jpg IMG_6933.jpg IMG_6934.jpg

The upper wing is slid onto the lower wing with one winglet. This assembly is slid between the two motor tubes.
Then the other winglet/pod/dowel is installed. The clamp is holding horizontal strip for this dry fit.
IMG_6935.jpg IMG_6937.jpg

The body tube comes with slots cut out. Finally, this assembly is inserted into the body tube. Screws are used to attach the body tube to the lower motor CR. I did not push the body tube all the way down.
IMG_6938.jpg IMG_6939.jpg

They do warn that it is easy to damage the body tube when sliding the assembly in/out. The screws are small so will be easily lost ( the CR is only about 1/4" thick so not a lot of space)

And in my opinion the pod that secures the winglets is just waiting to split - is it balsa wood.
IMG_6931.jpg

Also, when dry fitting the winglets, I found they can be angled which could impact the flight profile.

In terms of building the Galaxy
The transition appears to be a plastic cup with the top and bottom cut out! They state it is very fragile until glued in.
I discovered mine actually has a small crack in it already.
IMG_6914.jpg IMG_6915.jpg

Reviewing the directions, compared to the pieces provided, I realized that the coupler bulkplate has holes in it. When the ejection charge goes off, pressure can bleed through the holes into this transition.......
I used tape to plug one side and filled the holes with epoxy.
IMG_6924.jpg IMG_6925.jpg IMG_6940.jpg

The transition is glued to the bottom of the upper tube.
IMG_6941.jpg

Galaxy - The transition for the upper section only has 1/4" plywood disk glued to the body tube. To help strengthen the joint you drill 4 holes and glue a nail in.
IMG_6946.jpg

Martian Transport - epoxied two main fins on. The ply had some warpage that the jig helped straighten. However it kept trying to push the bars out. The clamps as helping to secure everything.

IMG_6949.jpg

Starlight - they want you to drill a pilot hole and install the screw eye. I don't see how to achieve that AFTER the CR was glued to the tube....
IMG_6948.jpg

Bigger Bertha - glued the motor tube into the body - no pix

I just want to compliment your taste in rockets. These are all cool kits.

P.S. I have rockets all over our dining room table too right now. I’m able to get away with it (for now) because it’s technically my daughter’s half built Richter Recker that’s taking up most of the space.

Mrs and son have been in Europe for the last 60 days.
In that time I purchased a Wildman Lance Beta. I Type II anodized the nose tip and cleaned/de-burred all the edges of all the tubes. Played around with the OR file to learn some of how that system works.
The rest of the time....Cleaned the garage, install a whole house water /filter softener system, sanded and refinished the front door. Cut and installed slats so the sons bedroom widows will not open more than 8 inches. (it's a 25 ft fall to hard rock and concrete should he push a screen out.)
Replaced the particle board floor trim in the master bath with ceramic. Rehung the sons bedroom door so it closes without having to use a towel to keep it closed. Other things I don't remember. Not much time for rocket building.
They will be home Monday evening. Then "maybe" I can start some building again.

Last edited:
In that time I purchased a Wildman Lance Beta. I Type II anodized the nose tip and cleaned/de-burred all the edges of all the tubes. Played around with the OR file to learn some of how that system works.
The rest of the time....Cleaned the garage, install a hole house water /filter softener system, sanded and refinished the front door. Cut and installed slats so the sons bedroom widows will not open more than 8 inches. (it's a 25 ft fall to hard rock and concrete should he push a screen out.)
Replaced the particle board floor trim in the master bath with ceramic. Rehung the sons bedroom door so it closes without having to use a towel to keep it closed. Other things I don't remember. Not much time for rocket building.
They will be home Monday evening. Then "maybe" I can start some building again.
That's good. In general it is always good to have some cover of good deeds to tell the Mrs. when she returns to obscure the rocket mischief. Someone should write this stuff up as part of the Hubbie handbook. Heavens knows that the wives have their own handbook. Of course, all this is off-the-record.

Last edited:
I just want to compliment your taste in rockets. These are all cool kits.

Thanks. I wanted to pick some OOP/unusual ones

I only had a week - besides the rockets, I've had to do the normal chores (cooking, dishes, laundry), we have a young dog (1 year and 9 weeks old) to take care of, multiple appointments. I pressure washed the driveway and started sealing (one does not get the coverage they indicate - used 9 containers so far, still have another 200+ feet to go), and sanded down, stained, and did 5 coats of polyurethane on the dining room table (which my wife ruined the finish on - ooops - did I say that out loud?)

Meanwhile T-2 days. She should be back early/mid afternoon Saturday.........

The rest of the time....Cleaned the garage, install a hole house water /filter softener system, sanded and refinished the front door. Cut and installed slats so the sons bedroom widows will not open more than 8 inches. (it's a 25 ft fall to hard rock and concrete should he push a screen out.)
Sheesh, lazy.

Nice job with these old kits (and the table too LOL)! With minor manufacturers you do have to assume that the fit is approximate and the instructions are advisory :). My wife is away for 10 days but work has been off the charts and I haven't been able to properly take advantage grrrrrr....

Nice job with these old kits (and the table too LOL)! With minor manufacturers you do have to assume that the fit is approximate and the instructions are advisory :).

Had an issue with the Madcow Martian Transport - not certain I would classify them as "minor"

Starlight - I was disappointed to discover the tube is about 1/4" too big for my fin jig. I made up a foam board jig.
I verified that I do need to raise the fins up to fit the ring. Also, that the strakes are too wide. The third photo has the ring against two strakes but interfere with the other two. The last shot shows a dry stack up with the jigs installed.

IMG_6959.jpg IMG_6960.jpg IMG_6961.jpg IMG_6962.jpg

Bigger Bertha - Also made a foam board jig for this. Attached the 4 fins. They wanted to keep sliding out so used some rubber bands to hold them while the epoxy cured.

IMG_6963.jpg IMG_6964.jpg

Galaxy - used a jig to secure the winglet at 90 deg.

IMG_6967.jpg

Martian Transport - also used the jig to install the winglets at 90 deg.

IMG_6965.jpg

Had an issue with the Madcow Martian Transport - not certain I would classify them as "minor"
Hah, even Estes had a 3-fin kit not too long ago where two of the fins were the right size and the 3rd was wrong. Not to mention the early QCC Explorers with the backwards decal. Trust no one!!!!

How did you end up dealing with the giant screw eye situation in the Starlight?

How did you end up dealing with the giant screw eye situation in the Starlight?

Still debating - 3 options
1) Replace wood screw with bolt/nut
2) Replace Wood screw with some kevlar tied around the motor tube
3) Leave out completely

The purpose for the eye on the BOTTOM of the motor mount is to have the rocket land body tube first instead of the fins. The shock cord would be tied to the eye, run outside the rocket, and have to squeeze between the nose cone and body tube. When the ejection charge blew the cone off and then the chute out then the cord attached to the rear would land the rocket on the front of the body tube.

Reviewing the directions, it appears the original model had Balsa fins. They are now 1/4" plywood, so I am tempted to allow it to land fins first.

Another "concern" is how long to have the screw eye? Too long and it may make securing the motor more difficult. If trying to keep it short then connecting to it will be difficult. Also, the shock cord is paracord - need a good size opening to fit that between the cone and tube (while not having so much leakage the cone refuses to come off (kinda the Big Daddy effect)

IMG_6976.jpg IMG_6979.jpg IMG_6977.jpg

What do you all think I should do??????
Motor mount is NOT installed yet so I still have options.....

Martian Transport - Add launch lugs. Except for fillet, primer, paint this one is actually done! And I apologize - it appears I neglected to get a pix of installing the canards.

IMG_6970.jpg

Galaxy - Added its canards - at least this one I got pix of. Also glued on pods

IMG_6971.jpg IMG_6969.jpg

Starlight - built included motor adapter - can fly on 38 or 29mm motors

IMG_6978.jpg

About T-17 hours. Spent some time cleaning already.
I wanted to show off what I accomplished this week..........

IMG_6975.jpg

Martian Transport - Basically done, need to fillet, prime, paint, decal

Bigger Bertha - Need to resolve coupler/bulkhead issue. The couplers are very tight. I will try sanding, but they are only 0.050" thick (the body tube is about 0.055" thick), so not a lot of material available to remove. I'm thinking either stay single deploy (maybe with a JLCR) or make some stops to attach inside the coupler for the bulkhead to seat against. Also need to add rail buttons. Fillet/prime/paint

Galaxy - the motor tube/fins are only dry fit at the moment. Just need to glue them in, but with needing to align everything, I want to use epoxy (wood glue will grab too quickly). Basically short on time to make up/clean up the epoxy. Install launch lugs. Fillet/prime/paint/decal

Starlight - resolve screw eye (land on fins or tube), install motor mount, attach all the strakes and rings. The kit comes with 1/2" lugs - I have enough difficulty finding 1/4" rod. I'm going to change to rail buttons. Fillet/prime/paint

One thing I didn't realize until the group shot was how small the Martian Transport is compared to the others. Almost like it is an offspring of the Galaxy Spacelines and Bigger Bertha.....

Starlight - Great kid you have!
Galaxy - Thanks. He has his mother's solid 4 fins.
Bertha - Yes, but see how he has his father's canards and winglets? I just adore those!!!!
Starlight - so as a youngster, he is presently limited to Martian trips, right?
Galaxy - yes, when he grows up he'll get to travel the system, and then eventually join me on galactic runs.......

That Galaxy looks like a nice design. I am having no luck finding out anything about it online though. Can you point me to a website, or somewhere that has info, pictures, or anything about it?

The company was called Rocket in a Box. They have been out of business for quite a while. Interesting concept, some clever engineering - but - I feel (especially this one) more likely to break during flight in order to protect it in transit.
Dual 24mm engines

A little info here
web archive - rocket in box

Interesting - reading the old site. I knew the main fin was not plywood nor balsa. Assumed it was basswood. Site confirms that...

Back