wich one

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lipp

Reaction score
I was wandering if I could get some suggestions on what would be a good first mid power rocket kit?????? other than Estes kits...

Both good, but one thing I learned after buying an AT kit, then a different brand, is that AT kits go together significantly differently than any others.. Id suggest any of Binder Design's kits, specifically the Stealth Jr.

www.binderdesign.com

I recommend a PML Explorer myself. Tank of a rocket, and flys very well with G54's You can even Cert lvl 1 if you have a huge field.

Originally posted by sandman
Aerotech Mustang!

Sorry, I just like mine.

Agreed. A very good intro to mid power.

I like mine so much I doubled the length of the body and gave it a payload section.

Yes, At kits go together very differently than any others. Better, in my opinion. I've already started buying AT parts to make my own with.

I've been very happy with my US Rockets Banshee--it's my favorite MPR in my fleet. It has parts that you're already familiar with (including a balsa nose cone!), just that everything is bigger. It comes with a 29-24mm motor adapter so you can fly it on as little as a D12-3 all the way up to Hs (if you're brave & have a large field).
Check out my Banshee review over at EMRR.

And check out the Vendors forum here. Jerry Irvine posted a while back that he'd give a discount on the Banshee for all TRF members...

HTH,

My intro was an Aerotech Aerreaux (pronounced "Aero") Long bodytube, 29mm mount, very stable design 3FNC, and it has that unique Aerotech constuction. Basically, the Aerreaux is a elongated 3-finned version of the mustang. But when you fly the Aerreaux on a G64, you can still see it in the sky... :D

also LOC Precision has some very cool designs for entry level MPR. The Graduator comes to mind.

Estes makes bigger rockets than the Mustang. There is nothing wrong with the mustang, I have one, but it's not big. If I'm looking at my first mid-power kit, I would want something I could see. The Initiator is an excellant choice. You can put an F or G in it and still see it fly. Aero Tech is expensive.

My first Mid-power was the Yank Black Brant X (2.5" version). It is only $50 and is 56" long. Too heavy for E's, but flys great on F & G motors. I've got 16 launches on it and it is still flying.

i bought a LOC precision Aura for my first true mpr bird. 8oz, its advertised to hit 4500ft on a G35. thats why i bought it, im an altitude addict. apogee makes an aspire, which will probably be my next mpr rocket. weighs less than 2oz with a 29mm mount. hits a mile on an F10(but who has one of those?!?) and breaks mach on a G80.

do you have a rather large field that you yourself can launch at? i didn't start with an initiator because i didn't need the pad or the launch controller because theres no fields really big enough, so my first was a mustang...

i believe the initiator is now sold in kit form for around 60 bucks...no pad or controller...

The Tiny Pterpdactyl is one great flyer, the AT kits prices seem high to me

Consider the LOC Viper III.

You will learn about MPR assembly techniques, can still fly it on BP, will also teach you about clustering, and It's a workhorse.

A

the rocket i've got in mind would be fat, average length, D, E,F motors, and launchable off a ESTES E launch pad.. Am I being to piky?????

do you want 29mm or 24mm? estes D's E's and some F's like the F21 are all 24mm, but if you want to get some junk in the trunk, ie G power, once you've gotten bored with the D's E's and F's. then 29mm would give you a huge variety. not only that, but a lot of really kick butt motors are 29mm, while there are SOME sweet 24mm motors, its a lot better to start with a 29mm mount and throw an adapter in to run it on. just something to think about.
for under 40 bucks, the onyx is a really nice kit, but if you want something a little more sleek looking, i'd go with the loc forte.

Hm, the estes pad looks kinda weak. If you're gonna get into MPR, I would recommend another pad. I say the Mustang is a nice rocket for MPR intro.

I'm a big fan of the LOC Graduator. As its name implies, it's a great way to graduate from low- to mid-power. It's basically just a large modroc, and besides assembling with epoxy, you'll find very little difference building it from a low-power kit.
I first flew mine on F motors with great results, and have recently "kicked it up a notch" by flying Gs with spectacular results.
I have a feeling it's tough enough for an H, though you're likely to lose sight of it.
Highly recommended.

Buy a kit? Scratch built is an easy way to go. been flying rockets for over 10 years and haven't bought one kit yet. Maybe I will one day.

Originally posted by lipp
the rocket i've got in mind would be fat, average length, D, E,F motors, and launchable off a ESTES E launch pad.. Am I being to piky?????

No you are not.

The USR Banhsee would fit your bill perfectly. TTW construction, Great quality parts, and Jerry offers 15% off his web site amount for TRF people. Old-school build, which means if you are comfortable with estes, you will have no problems.

Just my 2c's worth.

also, with aerotech the great thing is that there sturdy beyond all reason

i put mine together with just elmers super glue and it held up to a G64 reload... you proabaly could put them togehter dry without glue and they would fly :p

Aerotech G-Force. That was my first MPR kit, flies great on G64-4W reloads.:D

I wouls also reccommend the PML Explorer, flies great on a G64-7W reload and tears a hole in the sky with an H128.:D

Another vote for the Initiator, with the launch eqpt. Worked out as a great introduction for me.

wick

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
Hm, the estes pad looks kinda weak. If you're gonna get into MPR, I would recommend another pad. I say the Mustang is a nice rocket for MPR intro.
I was wandering what pad you would recomend??????

I'd probably make something out of PVC. however, if you can get a holverson Slider pads they are advertised to work pretty well.

I was wandering what pad you would recomend??????

and blue_ninja_150 said...

I'd probably make something out of PVC

agreed, you can scratch build a Mid-power pad out of PVC for around the $20 <---> $30 range. Use this Forums search engine and search out scratch built pads, or PVC pads, and you will find a lot of good threads on the subject.

PML AMRAAM2, very sturdy, nearly bullet proof. Will fly well on F40 to any H or 29mm I. All the components are very high quallity and it should be less than $50 at most retailers. Replacement parts are available directly from PML although they charge a premium for kits bought at their own web site.

Originally posted by Zippy
Replacement parts are available directly from PML although they charge a premium for kits bought at their own web site.

PML just charges you full retail price for their kits. For the few extra bucks compared to buying it from a vendor, I have personally preferred to purchase PML kits/parts directly from them (I place my orders over the phone too) because they are *extremely good* about shipping their orders quickly & have excellent customer service! (But there's nothing wrong with using a vendor that you've dealt with before either...)

Just my $0.02...

Back