wich one

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first-MPR-kit suggestion:

LOC/Precision Kits

LOC Graduator
LOC Hi-Tech H45
LOC Vulcanite
LOC IV
LOC Lil'Nuke
LOC ONYX

PML Kits

PML Phobos
PML IO
PML Pterodactyl Jr.
PML Small Endeavour

Built all of them -- all fly great. :)

- Yves

since your wanting something fat,the onyx would make a great first midpower. it's simple to build , cheap.and won't topple a smaller pad.

I guess i'm looking at the Initiator with pad, or the Onyx. These look to be the most suggested.

I don't have any AT kits, but i *love* my PML A2. can fly on F-H motors, and it'll teach you a buncha new skills. I also like the piston... PML kits can be a bit pricy, but they are awesome quality! Real easy to put together 2.

Or you could go scratch... the majority of my rockets are scratch.

Originally posted by lipp
I guess i'm looking at the Initiator with pad, or the Onyx. These look to be the most suggested.

If you get the starter set, get the one with the RMS casing, if they still sell the starter set with the RMS casing, that is. In any case, if you're starting in to mid power, you'll definitely want the AT 29mm 40-120 motor casing!

Loopy

Originally posted by Loopy
In any case, if you're starting in to mid power, you'll definitely want the AT 29mm 40-120 motor casing!

I couldn't agree with that statement more! :D I've used my AT 29/40-120 RMS for G64Ws, F22Js, F52Ts, & F40Ws. Definitely the most flexible casing out there.

Ahhh fin slotting...welcome to mid power.

Some kits come pre slotted, but mid power is a transition to High power, and some kits are slotted, and some are not.

Dremel is your friend, or anyone who has one is your new best friend (at least until your slots are cut :D )

Slotting is scary at first, after that it merely becomes an option. If you scratch build from 3" mailing tubes you will either slot, or surface mount.

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
Ahhh fin slotting...welcome to mid power.

Some kits come pre slotted, but mid power is a transition to High power, and some kits are slotted, and some are not.

Dremel is your friend, or anyone who has one is your new best friend (at least until your slots are cut :D )

Slotting is scary at first, after that it merely becomes an option. If you scratch build from 3" mailing tubes you will either slot, or surface mount.

Just finished slotting my USR Banshee kit. First time to cut fin slots in a body tube. Not bad at all. "Measure twice - cut once", use a metal straight-edge to cut against, and I used a box-cutter knife with a fresh blade.

Take your time. No rushing...

Only one boo-boo, which the fin fillet will cover.

Go with a slot design..they are great!

Originally posted by rabidsheeep
i havent built a binder design kit (although i want to) but ive heard good things about em..

https://binderdesign.com/bat.html

https://binderdesign.com/thug.html

the only thing is that ive heard binder design doesn't pre-slot there tubes... its not hard, you just need patience

If you order direct from Binder Design, you can request to have the tubes preslotted for no additional cost! I did that once...

But now that I've slotted a few tubes, I prefer to slot 'em myself :D

can a guy find info on here about slotting BT's????

Originally posted by lipp
can a guy find info on here about slotting BT's????

Check out the post just made by KarlD in this thread. I couldn't give better advice than what he just said. I too prefer a box cutter/utility/razor knife instead of an X-Acto knife. The blade is stronger & stays sharp longer.

That's my $0.02 anyway... HTH,

chiming in a little late,
i LOVE my initiator, it's a great kit. takes lots of abuse. I built it in a couple of hours one night at NARAM last year and flew it the next day. and the next. and the next. :)

i haven't built an Onyx yet but it's been on my to buy list for awhile.

no matter what kit you choose, you're going to enjoy mid power!

Thanks lalligood

We all learn from each other...That is the power of this forum...

Here is the picture I took of the fin Slot cutting sequence on my USR Banshee. I have the body tube in a PVC holder assembly, and have my metal ruler taped on my cutting line. Apply box cutter carefully, and in no time you have a fin slot.

Not bad at all if you take your time...

if you have a thicker tube or something else i find it easy to go along VERY slowly with a dremmel, it makes a cleaner cut... i always seem to tear the last inside and the outside sheets of rolled paper with blades

got my first "mid power rocket". the executioner. that's all the money I had for know. not to mention thats all Hobby Town USA had around here. it's a pretty simple build. the question is, is it realy considered to be a real mid power???

ps whats the biggest motor the executioner can handle???? whats the biggest people have used????

whats the biggest motor the executioner can handle????

A guy in our club put an altimeter in his Executioner and hammered it on the G64W reload...I'm sorry to say I missed that one.

i've seen em on G's...they really cruise. best motor for it is the F20. IMO.

...and so expensive...

sorry, I'm a reload finatic, all though I have flown 1 or 2 of the F20's and my favorite the G35.

For a reload, the F40 also rocks in the Executioner, and that I have witnessed.

so expensive, however, there are no worries about losing a casing because its not properly retained. its also a good way to get introduced to mpr without having to go through reloading an RMS system. it'd be a lot more preferrable to get an RMS case after you've got more experience with composite rockets. IMO

not all that much more expensive than mid power reloads and if you lose the rocket at least you don't lose a case. and lots of fun to put in a small rocket that you don't expect to see again!

I've got the executioner done. heres a picture of it in primer. Kinda looks like a gohst or something don't it?????

Looks good so far - it is kinda ghostly in that image..."I am the ghost of lawn darts past..." :D

As for motors - my favorite so far has been the E18-4 reload for the 24mm casing. Alot of the motors mentioned in the above replies (F20, G64, F40, G35) are 29mm motors, which won't fit if you built it stock. The 24mm reloads are great for this kit, and mine has flown beautifully on the E18 with a 4 second delay. Next time it flies will most likely be on the F24 reload for that same 24mm casing.

Loopy

just got back from the local hobby shop. My most wonderful wife got me a MUSTANG! the kicker is we only paid $34.99 for it what a deal..... I can't wait to start building it. I'll post pictures...

Executioner is Look'n good...

you will love the 'Stang and your wife even more. :D

Latest posts

Back