Why the Coffee House is so Popular

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
With the new addition of the "Advanced Topics" forum, there has been talk about so many threads and post in the Coffee House. One reason in my opinion......

Many people here on TRF have lots of interests. Since there appears to be no other forums of this caliber, people tend to ask questions and make comments about subjects not always related to Rocketry. I mean if there was a forum of this caliber that discussed subjects like robotics, electronics, astronomy, woodworking or even auto repair, there would less Off-topic threads in the Coffee House........

(this in way is a negative post....... I like TRF just the way it is!!!!!)

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
... there would less Off-topic threads in the Coffee House........

There are off-topic threads in Coffee House? I thought there was no topic in Coffee House... If there's no topic, how can something be "Off topic"? Things that make me go "hmmmmm...";)

WW

Originally posted by rstaff3
I really hate it when real rocketry content is in there ;)

Sometimes I get the feeling people get upset that there are so many off-the-way threads here. Glad to know the "Pointy-Haired Moderator" thinks it's not too bad :D

My view that anything that don't break forum guidelines can go there. If you don't like the subject, at worst you make one visit to find that out. I've done so MANY times.

I am an advocate of trying to make thread titles descriptive of the subject to minimize this. (of course I often don't listen to myself :))

Sometimes I get the feeling people get upset that there are so many off-the-way threads here.

It may not be a universally appreciated viewpoint, but I think the non-rocketry stuff in the coffee House adds to the sense of community of TRF.

Originally posted by illini
It may not be a universally appreciated viewpoint, but I think the non-rocketry stuff in the coffee House adds to the sense of community of TRF.
Couldn't aggree with you more, Illini. We are a community held together by a common interest, and its cool to chat about other interests. (IMHO)

The Coffee Shop reminds of the old Barber Shop. To me, it's where you go when you want to have a friendly conversation which could be anything from toasters to current events. You can learn just as much stuff here as anywhere.

My view that anything that don't break forum guidelines can go there. If you don't like the subject, at worst you make one visit to find that out. I've done so MANY times.

I am an advocate of trying to make thread titles descriptive of the subject to minimize this. (of course I often don't listen to myself :))

And I'm an advocate of the 6 degrees of freedom principle. I believe I can take any topic in here and within 6 related sentences turn it back to rocketry.

On the arocket amateur rocketry list they were talking about the Martian moons' unusual orbits being evidence of intellgent action, and from there to the anthropic principle, and from there to Terry Pratchett. I managed to bring that back to rocketry in one post by relating the thread "Latin Rules" and the pictures of Adrian's Discworld rocket and Terry Pratchett launching it.

It's ALL related to rocketry, because rocketry is so important. I mean, obviously.

Originally posted by DynaSoar
And I'm an advocate of the 6 degrees of freedom principle. I believe I can take any topic in here and within 6 related sentences turn it back to rocketry.

But, can you also relate it to Kevin Beacon in those same 6 steps? :D

Greg

I've said it before but the coffee house is one of the main reasons i started visiting TRF.I love the array of topics that come up for discussion,even if its not rocketry:)

If you ever been to one of the TRF meets in April, you will note one big thing.... we all feel like family. The reason? We know so much about each other, about our other interesting things in our lives. Without the coffie house, where else would we post our latest family news, successes, failures, jokes, etc. The Coffee house is the place to put off topic subjects.

Too True. I visit here for eh sheer fun of it.

The 'mindless' topics and the fun of teh topics discussed. As all have said, a great way to share common interests. No shame in asking for honest opinions, and getting 'true to life' responces.

This is truely a family! and glad to be a part of it.

This forum (rockets) is now my #1 forum, and has surpassed RCU (too much bikering, and 'must be RC related' moderation...)

I used to spend all my time in the LPR and Scratch Built forums. Now I spend the bulk of my time here.

And I like it!

Originally posted by n3tjm
Without the coffie house, where else would we post our latest family news, successes, failures, jokes, etc.

The many ladies Doug is going after....

:eek:

See, I can say that kinda thing. I've met Doug in person at an April Whitakers meet. :D I'll run for cover now.

forecheck is that you in the avitar?

it reminds me of the movie "Big trouble in little china"

Originally posted by illini

thank you Illini! Exactly...and those who appreciate the viewpoint appreciate TCH...

Originally posted by 11Bravo
But, can you also relate it to Kevin Beacon in those same 6 steps? :D
Greg

6 steps? I saw the Bacon Brothers Band perform at the County Fair in August and I was in the front row so technically all of you are 2 degrees from Kevin Bacon...See how easy that was?
:D

Andy

One of the things I've really enjoyed about TRF is getting to know all the Brits a little better in our Saturday night "Brit Chat" The Coffee House definately aids the community spirit of TRF.

When are we then getting a 'Starbucks' sponsorship?!?!

Personally, I hate coffee. Can I move we change it [the name] to the Tea Room, or does that conjure up images of Old ladies in red hats (and purple dresses) giggling... :D:D

"Righty Ho good chap, A spot of tea and a crumpet early in the afters is a golly good thing!"

(Did you know, that a coffee house here in Montreal was bombed? True, it was bombed because it was a 'Second Cup' coffee house, and some are a little upset that English named businesses creep into our 'distinct' society.. They insist it should have been changed to 'Duexieme Tasse'.. Ahh, the fun of Qweebec!!))

Originally posted by Dr Wogz
(Did you know, that a coffee house here in Montreal was bombed? True, it was bombed because it was a 'Second Cup' coffee house, and some are a little upset that English named businesses creep into our 'distinct' society.. They insist it should have been changed to 'Duexieme Tasse'.. Ahh, the fun of Qweebec!!))

Better run and hide - they might find out you're posting in Anglais!

WW

Can I move we change it [the name] to the Tea Room,
I'll second that! ;)

Nothing beats a cup of Earl Grey (Hot!) in the morning!

Would this new Tea Room serve scones and crustless cucumber sandwiches? :D ... or crumpets and Marmite? :yum:

Give me a cup of java and a Krispy Kreme :)

Yikes, had to edit a one line low conten post :(

Personally, I hate coffee. Can I move we change it [the name] to the Tea Room, or does that conjure up images of Old ladies in red hats (and purple dresses) giggling... :D:D

Hate Coffee??? I had a whole pot this morning!!!! But if you want to change the name, then my vote is for the "Beer House". We can serve ice cold beer with hot wings!!!!!!!

Bangers & Mash, & Yourkshire Pud!! Mmm!!

Heart attack all the way!

And bread pudding for dessert! skip the raisins though!! Or Blamange! And since it is Christmas, A Chritmas Triffle as well! Mince tarts anyone?

Twinnings earl grey all teh way!! and the Lady Grey too!

Hate Coffee??? I had a whole pot this morning!!!! But if you want to change the name, then my vote is for the "Beer House". We can serve ice cold beer with hot wings!!!!!!!

HEY, I'll drink to that (hic)

I used to not drink coffee. The Navy changed that. Something about having to get up and be 100% alert at all hours of the night or day.

I used to not drink alcohol. The Navy changed that, too. See aforementioned reason.

WW

Gibe me a cup of java and a Krispy Kreme :)

One of the highights of my move to Texas was finding a local Krispy Kreme, and then finding out they have a HOT sign on the sign out by the street so you know when some are being taken out of the oven. I've made U turns across 6 lanes to go, and I've seen others do the same.

There is nothing that compares to a Krispy Kreme right out of the oven. The place near us must make them for resale in stores because I have never been there that they don't have hot ones coming off the line. I personally don't mind waiting in the check-out line. You can usually snag a couple of samples (always one). Then we get home and don't want any right a way :rolleyes:

Back