Why so many diabetics?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Love all these zealous responses!!! Me, I'm skeptical; but had a beloved father that was diabetic and always worried about my succumbing to the same--so far, so good for me.

Wow! Love all these zealous responses!!! Me, I'm skeptical; but had a beloved father that was diabetic and always worried about my succumbing to the same--so far, so good for me.

Keep your waist under or near 38-40 inches and your will lower your odds.

I've cut back to a pound and a half of bacon at a time-
42427261085_87f9fa4aaa_c.jpg

It's ok, I also use it on pizza, so it's good for you-
43330883551_6016955f66_c.jpg

I'd rather not eat rabbit food.
All I got to say is: mmm, Bacon.

OK, next hot button topic: Bacon!! Crispy or squigelley??? Me, I'm a squigelley bacon kinda guy. GF likes it crunchy :eek::eek: almost to the point of burnt...
Got our kid liking the squigelley stuff, although she's tryin to convert him to crunchy :rolleyes:...

OK, next hot button topic: Bacon!! Crispy or squigelley??? Me, I'm a squigelley bacon kinda guy. GF likes it crunchy :eek::eek: almost to the point of burnt...
Got our kid liking the squigelley stuff, although she's tryin to convert him to crunchy :rolleyes:...

I am sure they will find that the crispy bacon is full of carcinogens one day. he is probably better off less crispy as long it reaches the right internal temperature.

I like it firm, but not yet crispy. in my photo, the top is crispy, and as it shrunk I got the rest of it in the pan (20" is perfect) I think the ones 3 from the bottom are perfect. The top ones I consider burnt. My wife likes those.

I am sure they will find that the crispy bacon is full of carcinogens one day. he is probably better off less crispy as long it reaches the right internal temperature.

This will be quoted as scientific evidence at my divorce ;)

Dave, U R gonna die. BACON IS THE WORST FOOD FOR A HUMAN.

When I used to cook it, fried until all the fat burned off, then put in a coffee can. But even nice crispy meat left is really bad for you. Go to doc next day and have blood triglycerides measured, they will be thru the roof. Like bad cholesterol, this blood fat will frag your vessels. Best to eat like Asians, fish and vegs and rice. They don't get heart disease, but cancer eventually gets them. Some even say ham is bad, I lean towards turkey and chicken, but some ham still, cut off the fat. You are what you eat!

Go to doc next day and have blood triglycerides measured, they will be thru the roof. Like bad cholesterol, this blood fat will frag your vessels.

I hope that is sarcasm. Sugar is the best way to raise your TG (triglycerides) and LDL (bad cholesterol). According to the most recent research, that has been confirmed by multiple studies; saturated fat has not been tied to elevations in TG or LDL. Your body makes most of what is in your blood, and that occurs in response to trans-fats (no longer legal) and insulin (sugar).

To clarify: I am not recommending an all-you-can-eat pig fest at the bacon bar.

Dave, U R gonna die. BACON IS THE WORST FOOD FOR A HUMAN.

When I used to cook it, fried until all the fat burned off, then put in a coffee can. But even nice crispy meat left is really bad for you. Go to doc next day and have blood triglycerides measured, they will be thru the roof. Like bad cholesterol, this blood fat will frag your vessels. Best to eat like Asians, fish and vegs and rice. They don't get heart disease, but cancer eventually gets them. Some even say ham is bad, I lean towards turkey and chicken, but some ham still, cut off the fat. You are what you eat!

I also like pork loin-
9227011478_fd6f747665.jpg

I eat a lot of different things, but it's much more likely my body will be broken long before what I eat kills me. No point having perfect organs in a dead, worn out shell.

Nothing better than a well cooked and marinated pork loin.

Except a well cooked pork shoulder...

IMG_2636.jpg

As far as bacon, I like it limp but cooked. My wife like it crispy. My kids (7 & 9) like it barely cooked - if you have ever had bacon in Mexico, it typically comes like this.

What is your opinion of the Keto diet?

From time to time my wife and I go on one of those. Eat as much as you want of some things, so no real need to not nibble between meals. Can lose 3-4kg (6.5-9lb) per week if you religiously keep sugar out of your intake. I can usually go about a month before resuming a more standard food ingress regime.

Don't forget to drink lots of water, and you need good kidney function test numbers for it to be safe.

I never add salt to anything, and because of that! I always see people add salt to their food even before they taste it..

two things when I eat out that help if I do them up front.
1. Decline the free bread/chips/rolls/breadsticks with the unlimited refills (can easily eat more here than your entire purchased meal--- but oh those Red Lobster cheese biscuits are good!)
2. Have server bring a take home box to you when they deliver the meal. I don't know about all restaurants, but in the south the portions are often huge, easily enough for 1 1/2 to 2 complete meals. Dump half of the meal in the take home box up front and literally take it off the table.

2 years ago i weighed 270lbs, now i weigh 195 and feel better than ever, with excercise and good food. I'm 38 now, it took alot of self discipline (still does) and a good nutrition plan that i stick with all the time.

Two words: Obesity and. Genetics

Obesity is the cause of the vast majority of cases especially in middle age.

Cut calories, lose weight and exercise. Yes some slender folks have it and unfortunate kids can get
type 1 which is sad but by and far obesity is number one. Kurt

lack of exercise

It is funny that bring this up. There are several recent reviews by experts that counter the exercise notion. The average number of calories burned during the day from activity has not changed much from 1900-2018. What has changed is the amount of processed junk foods and carbs / sugars that we eat. I recommend to patients that they strong consider exercising for heart health and fitness but not for weight loss.

You would have to exercise for hours to burn one jelly filled doughnut. A slim waistline is made and maintained in the kitchen and not the gym.

Two words: Obesity and. Genetics

Obesity is the cause of the vast majority of cases especially in middle age.

Cut calories, lose weight and exercise. Yes some slender folks have it and unfortunate kids can get
type 1 which is sad but by and far obesity is number one. Kurt

I completely agree with obesity. Myself, I'm 58, 5'10" and weigh 180 lbs. To date, no diabetes.

It is funny that bring this up. There are several recent reviews by experts that counter the exercise notion. The average number of calories burned during the day from activity has not changed much from 1900-2018. What has changed is the amount of processed junk foods and carbs / sugars that we eat. I recommend to patients that they strong consider exercising for heart health and fitness but not for weight loss.

You would have to exercise for hours to burn one jelly filled doughnut. A slim waistline is made and maintained in the kitchen and not the gym.
Yep, it was habit that caused me to regurgitate that long-ingrained, conventional wisdom message. I know better. CALORIC REDUCTION and the TYPE of food consumed are vastly more important than exercise for weight loss due to the huge amount of exercise required to burn calories consumed in excess of those required by an individual's basal metabolism. Cardio health is another matter.

hidden sugars:

Yogurt. you'd think that's a healthy snack. Dairy, Fruit, probiotics.. think again!!!

(And I love yogurt!! I've since given it up.)

Seems like there's quite a bit of info online concerning the benefits of bodybuilding and diabetics.

Bodybuilding can help stave off diabetes, but it is not a magical fix for obesity or diabetes that is already there. It helps but is not a cure.

Let me explain: Muscle mass and a low-level fo central obesity is the way to avoid increasing your insulin resistance. To some extent, the more muscle you have, the more you can eat without gain weight. Exercise, to include bodybuilding will take years to lose weight.

You can walk for an hour and weight lift for 1-2 hours and only burn 200-400 calories. That is a lot of effort to burn of two Reese's Cups. This is why the kitchen is more important. It is also not how much you are eating but what you are taking in. If you can gain weight by eating plain raw broccoli, I will shake your hand. You will soil your drawers before you ever get fat eating non-starchy vegetables. But, eat the same weight in table sugar and you turn into a sack of lard.

Bodybuilding can help stave off diabetes, but it is not a magical fix for obesity or diabetes that is already there. It helps but is not a cure.

Let me explain: Muscle mass and a low-level fo central obesity is the way to avoid increasing your insulin resistance. To some extent, the more muscle you have, the more you can eat without gain weight. Exercise, to include bodybuilding will take years to lose weight.

You can walk for an hour and weight lift for 1-2 hours and only burn 200-400 calories. That is a lot of effort to burn of two Reese's Cups. This is why the kitchen is more important. It is also not how much you are eating but what you are taking in. If you can gain weight by eating plain raw broccoli, I will shake your hand. You will soil your drawers before you ever get fat eating non-starchy vegetables. But, eat the same weight in table sugar and you turn into a sack of lard.
It

The articles I read stated body building is NOT a cure all pill. The industry doesn't seem to be pulling the wool over people's eye's with false info which is good. As far as taking years to lose weight that depends on how 'obese' one is to begin with. It has been suggested for many years that BOTH dieting and exercise are key. I believe that.

Yep, it was habit that caused me to regurgitate that long-ingrained, conventional wisdom message. I know better. CALORIC REDUCTION and the TYPE of food consumed are vastly more important than exercise for weight loss due to the huge amount of exercise required to burn calories consumed in excess of those required by an individual's basal metabolism. Cardio health is another matter.

I've been doing an hour on the elliptical when I can, as well as some weights. According to the machine, I'm burning 600-700 calories per session. While I agree that a better diet plays a more substantial role in weight-loss, I can't discount the benefits of hitting the gym either. Also when I do hit the gym, I'm less likely to throw away that work by gorging on something I shouldn't eat. I started my new eating and exercising routine at the beginning of the year when I was at 247 pounds, and am now at 202.

I'm considering doing the Keto diet to loose 20 - 30 pounds. Right now I'm on the "If it tastes good, spit it out diet". My willpower sucks so the diet hasn't been very successful.

Pork is not as bad as bacon, as long as you are not Muslim.

Just make sure you cut out the fat. Should consider being a vegetarian, but take supplements to compensate.

Back