Why shouldn't I build my old kits?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobH48

Reaction score
I was thinking that I would like to build an Estes Goblin. I had one "way back when" and I thought it had good performance and I just liked the way it looked.

I have one that I got as a bonus kit but everyone says "Don't build your old kits, sell them on Ebay".

I have this box of parts that I have had for 30 years and two moves. (I had two boxes of parts but one disappeared in one of the moves).

So, I didn't make the kit but I had everything I needed in the parts box, even the correct nose cone. I did have to cut a body tube in half to get one the correct length.

So the only difference is the parts came out of the box instead of the kit bag. They are just as old. The only thing that I didn't use was the old dried out shock cords I had and I would have had to replace them anyway. I also printed the decals for it so they are new too.

So if I sell the kit, what is the person who buys it going to do with it? Just look at it? Build it? The bag was opened so it's not like its in mint condition.

So why shouldn't I just build my old kits myself?

Just wondering what you think.

Build, fly, let it die a rockets death, rather than fade away in a box...

shrox

Personally, I'd build. If you really want to make the big bucks, heck, that's easy, don't build or fly rockets. You'll save far more money than you can make selling old kits. ;)
I get alot of satisfaction throwing up my ancient Big Bertha as the "wind tester" for our launches than any monetary gain I might have got from selling it. Again, to each their own.

I agree with Stones and Shrox. I just can't look at a rocket kit sitting there doing nothing...heck, it ain't even looking pretty! (sometimes) I have to build everything!

Jason

Thanks for your opinions.

If I sell them, I won't have them and the cash gain will be temporary until I find things to buy. It not like I have a big supply of them, only a few, and they are models I want to build anyway.

I think I'd rather have the rockets.

I bought them to build in the first place so why not do so. The only thing I need to do is replace shock cords and maybe decals if they disintegrate in the water.

I just started building a "GOBLIN" clone today...

Just like as a kid... I can't wait to fly it...
I thought it was one of the greatests...!!!

when you got the kit you said you would build it right?

do u honestly think you said "yeah, im gonna save this for 30 years, then wait for it to cost millions and get rich."

Actually, I got the kit for free. :D

Estes used to give you a free kit if you spent $5.00 on rocket supplies. If you spent $10.00 you got a bigger kit or two of the smaller kits.

So, you could buy a kit, a couple of tubes of engines ( C engines were $0.90 for three!) and get a free kit. I got a lot of rockets that way. Which was a good thing since I had a tendancy to put big engines in small models so it was only a matter of time until "Bye Bye rocket". ;)

I'm going to be no help at all! I do both. I buy old kits and either build them or put them on the shelf or both. Above my computer, I have a rocket shrine of sorts and there are 3 "K kits" on it. K-1 Scout, K-25 Alpha, and K-55 Goblin. I had these three as a kid and once I re-acquired them, I wanted to keep them for fun. I won't resell them. I will build each one as well either from a kit or I'll clone them. I have a lot of other rockets in storage though and I intend to build every last one of them. I move them from my storage locker to my rocket shelf to the table and then I build it. I also do build HPR rockets but I get the most fun from building the low to mid power kits.

I'm grateful to the people who DO want to sell their kits though. It wouldn't be easy for me to part with any of mine.

Lately, I've been buying up Baby Bertha's though for some reason. Astronboy keeps making me do it. Well, sorta. :D :D

Len Bryan

I am a prolific builder, but also collect old kits, and old motors.

Here is my 2 cents:

If you want to build that Goblin, sell it on EBAY. With the $$ you make, you can buy enough clone parts from BMS to build a the clone of the Goblin plus a dozen other rockets that you always wanted!!

Fred

here is the link to BMS: https://www.balsamachining.com/

I always think of it this way; would you drive an old car if you had it? Build 'em. Fly 'em. Sell 'em. Whatever makes you happy. I've enclosed a picture of my Goblin's most recent flight. It survived this incident and will fly again whenever I get the chance.

Build, fly, let it die a rockets death, rather than fade away in a box...

yeah ... didn't you see Toy Story 2!! that is a fate worse than death, being in a box on a shelf.

Let's see, I've learned lately that it is just as easy to clone your favorite old kit. It looks the same, flies the same(hopefully) and no ones gonna know it's a clone unless you tell them. Point is, you could sell it and make money to buy materials to clone several others. Or keep it, build it, and clone others still. I've sold some of my older kits and I regret doing that, now I'm trying to get them back, but if I don't I'll just clone 'em. I like to collect kits to trade for other kits as well. I'm never gonna build them all anyway. So I guess the choice is yours and which ever choice you make we'll all respect that. Does that make sense?

Originally posted by Fishhead
I've enclosed a picture of my Goblin's most recent flight. It survived this incident and will fly again whenever I get the chance.

My last Goblin flight was in about 1976 and it looked a lot like that picture except that is was a power line. :(

Fly the thing. Don't regret it. If it looks like that, find another one or fly it again when it blows down. :) :)

Len Bryan

Build em Bob! fly and enjoy the "golden age" of rocketry;) I fly my 30 year old models every chance I get. that OLD gobln has a pretty burnt up tail now but still is a rush on a D12-7:D

OK, let me add 3 more cents... that's 5 cents total!! :D

If you have a semi built, or old built up rocket... then FLY THEM!!!

I still have my FIRST rocket, a Goblin that my Dad built for me over 30 years ago when I was 6. I has been battered, and re-built several times, BUT: I still fly it.

Two summers ago, my brother treed not one, but TWO vintage rockets (an old 24mm Renegade, and a Mach 2) .... we have already cloned them.

I like to collect old 'kid built' rockets, esp Alphas. The fins are often crooked, or up-side down, and they are usually finished in a primitive 'kid' manner. I love them all just for that reason.
And most important of all: I fly them.

Here is a link to my personal website with pics of the Goblin, as well as some other vintage built up rockets that I fly:

https://towrowrow.tripod.com/astronboy/id2.html

I guess my point is.... whether you collect or not, take that box of parts you have, build those unfinished rockets, and have fun flying!!

Fred

I would say anything partially built or sitting an opened box definitely needs to get built. If you had some high priced kits still in the box, they might be worth selling. Why? Because you can use the money to buy a bunch more kits :D

I say build it or sell it. I'm not much of a collector...although I have a huge collection of unbuilt kits.

I think cloning is the best of both worlds. You can fly em and loose them but not really loose them because they can always be replaced.

See my post in the low power section I just put up. To sum it up, build 'em and fly 'em is my philosophy, no matter how old or rare.

Glenn, whose next build is an Estes LTV scout still sealed in the bag from 25 years ago....

it will make the remaining (unbuilt) kits rarer and worth much more!

if you build it, just think of it as an 80 dollar rocket.

even if you don't, because that's what it is.

I think you should sell them.

In fact, I think you should sell them to me at a nice TRF discount. :p

Originally posted by Fore Check
I think you should sell them.

In fact, I think you should sell them to me at a nice TRF discount. :p

Good one.:D

Origially posted by astronboy

I still have my FIRST rocket, a Goblin that my Dad built for me over 30 years ago when I was 6. I has been battered, and re-built several times, BUT: I still fly it.

I still have the FIRST rocket I ever built also, an Astron Sprite. The fins were cut out with a single edge razor blade (no Xacto knife for me back then) and did not have any sandpaper used on them at all.

It looks like it may have had some sealer used and then it was brush painted with model airplane dope. One coat from the looks of it.

When I got back into rocketry, it was the first model I flew, on an old A5-4S.
They don't make them anymore, which is too bad since it was the only one I had :( .

Well,

I finished up the Goblin and it came out respectable. I didn't go for a super finish since I seem to not be able to keep most of my rockets very long (there are a few exceptions but not many).

The first Goblin I had lasted 5 flights. The first two used a B6-4, I think, and the second two used C6-5.

All four of those were straight up and recovered fairly close to the launch pad.

The last one used a D13-5 and when it came off the end of the launch rod, it went at about a 45 degree angle way over the woods into a swampy area. Never saw it again.

I always thought that it because it needed some weight in the nose. It balanced exactly at the point where the plans noted that the CG could be no farther back. But after reading this forum a little, it could have been rod whip.

Back