Why NOT to use automated car washes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
I already don't. His main gripe in the video is about automated car washes using brushes and, also, manual washing services because they probably aren't using properly cleaned sponges and rags. He also mentioned the use hydrofluoric acid! I did some research and he's correct. Especially the "Touchless" (no brushes) car washes might use it.

[video=youtube;qVRli2in0JI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVRli2in0JI[/video]

Hydrofluoric Acid - Renewed Warnings
By Bob Kuczik
11/01/15

Car wash owners and operators know that hydrofluoric acid (HF) is a chemical that poses health risks, but many still use it, especially to clean wheels. It’s extremely dangerous, since it doesn’t cause immediate skin burns that you can feel as other acids do. Instead, HF seeps through tissue, eats into bones, and turns calcium into calcium fluoride, taking hours before the burn victim realizes the damage.

Leading detailers, car wash owners, and industry officials admit that HF usage has grown and that the figure may now be as high as 50 percent of operators. That’s a dramatic swing from 2008 when a past president of the International Carwash Association (ICA) said, “Historically, HF’s been one of the centerpiece chemicals used in detergents in this industry but today, I’d estimate it’s used in less than 25 percent of car washes, and that number is declining every day.”

This study is mainly about environmental concerns, not about damage to your car finish:

A review of hydrofluoric acid and its use in the car wash industry
10 Mar 2012

https://touchfreetruth.org/pdf/hf-study.pdf

Abstract: Hydrofluoric acid (HF) is a common ingredient in car wash cleaning solutions mainly because it is highly effective and relatively inexpensive. Particulate matter from brake pads and discs, tire wear, and abrasion of road surface accumulated on the exterior of automobiles are aggressively removed with the use of car wash cleaning solutions containing HF. The unique properties of HF to dissolve silica, concrete, most metals, and metallic oxides cause effective breakdown of rust, road dust, and grime on automobiles. However, HF is a very caustic and a highly toxic substance. Due to hazards associated with the storage, use, and exposure of HF to humans and the environment, there is a need to find safe, yet equally effective alternatives to HF as a cleaning agent. Improvements in cleaning processes, development of available technologies, and utilization of cleaning products containing natural and various benign polymers and surfactants are healthy and environmentally sound alternatives to HF for car wash applications. However, these alternatives may not be as effective as HF. Efforts geared towards finding a replacement for HF remain a challenge, but the outcome would render several benefits to the car wash industry, including abating pollution and providing a safer working environment for everyone.

I found the link to that study here:

CONSUMER WARNING
This is a consumer alert about the TRUTH in so called TOUCH-FREE Car Washing.
Your local "Touch-Free" car wash is using an ACID BATH of Hydrofluoric Acid to clean your car.

https://touchfreetruth.org/

Hydrofluoric ACID can DAMAGE WINDSHIELDS...

Hydrofluoric ACID can DAMAGE CLEAR COAT...

HONDA, GENERAL MOTORS have issued bulletins about WINDSHIELD DISTORTION coming from TOUCH-FREE car washes using buffered HYDROFLUORIC ACID... Mercedes Benz Owners Manuals warn against using "BRUSHLESS CAR WASHES"

Mercedes Benz, BMW, Infiniti Owners manual excerpts:

Mercedes-Benz:

OM-MB-Wash%20Warning.jpg

BMW:

OM-BMW-Wash%20Warning.jpg

Infinity:

OM-Infinity-Wash%20Warning.jpg

I've yet to understand the application of a spray on wax only to have it rinsed off again. Are people not thinking this through?

[video]https://www.brownbear.com/why-us/wash-green[/video] I've been using their car wash for quite some time and it even cleans my ten spoke rims quite well on my Z4.

The reason I don't use automated washes is due to something that happened to my sister a decade ago. She and her husband & daughter took their car through one these washes. Apparently, an open truck had preceded them through, and had loose chains in the bed. The rotating brush nipped up the chain and spirited it away, at least until the next car came along. At that point, the chain-endowed spinning brush became a flail. Within a matter of moments, the brush ran down the length of her car, continuously striking the hood - then smashing the windshield - before continuing along the roof and putting a finishing touch on the rear glass (it was a station wagon). Needless to say, it was a terrifying experience for them. There wasn't even an attendant on site to complain to, much less press an e-stop button. The car was totaled as a result, though they bought it back, replaced the windows and drove it till the engine blew...

I've heard of folks deliberately putting chains or nuts/bolts on brushes to damage people's vehicles. I avoid automatic car washes but if the near-wife insists on using one I insist to use one with an attendant on duty.
Years ago I took my truck through one that you pull into and it moves around you, the brush that went over the top thought, I guess, that once it past the cab, that was the end of the truck. Well it wasn't and the arm slammed into the bed and left ripples where the spinning shaft rolled down the top sides of the bed. Still there in fact. I was pretty mad but no attendant and no contact info, that I could find. I haven't used one since.

I already don't. His main gripe in the video is about automated car washes using brushes and, also, manual washing services because they probably aren't using properly cleaned sponges and rags. He also mentioned the use hydrofluoric acid! I did some research and he's correct. Especially the "Touchless" (no brushes) car washes might use it.

[video=youtube;qVRli2in0JI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVRli2in0JI[/video]

Hydrofluoric Acid - Renewed Warnings
By Bob Kuczik
11/01/15

Car wash owners and operators know that hydrofluoric acid (HF) is a chemical that poses health risks, but many still use it, especially to clean wheels. It’s extremely dangerous, since it doesn’t cause immediate skin burns that you can feel as other acids do. Instead, HF seeps through tissue, eats into bones, and turns calcium into calcium fluoride, taking hours before the burn victim realizes the damage.

Leading detailers, car wash owners, and industry officials admit that HF usage has grown and that the figure may now be as high as 50 percent of operators. That’s a dramatic swing from 2008 when a past president of the International Carwash Association (ICA) said, “Historically, HF’s been one of the centerpiece chemicals used in detergents in this industry but today, I’d estimate it’s used in less than 25 percent of car washes, and that number is declining every day.”

This study is mainly about environmental concerns, not about damage to your car finish:

A review of hydrofluoric acid and its use in the car wash industry
10 Mar 2012

https://touchfreetruth.org/pdf/hf-study.pdf

Abstract: Hydrofluoric acid (HF) is a common ingredient in car wash cleaning solutions mainly because it is highly effective and relatively inexpensive. Particulate matter from brake pads and discs, tire wear, and abrasion of road surface accumulated on the exterior of automobiles are aggressively removed with the use of car wash cleaning solutions containing HF. The unique properties of HF to dissolve silica, concrete, most metals, and metallic oxides cause effective breakdown of rust, road dust, and grime on automobiles. However, HF is a very caustic and a highly toxic substance. Due to hazards associated with the storage, use, and exposure of HF to humans and the environment, there is a need to find safe, yet equally effective alternatives to HF as a cleaning agent. Improvements in cleaning processes, development of available technologies, and utilization of cleaning products containing natural and various benign polymers and surfactants are healthy and environmentally sound alternatives to HF for car wash applications. However, these alternatives may not be as effective as HF. Efforts geared towards finding a replacement for HF remain a challenge, but the outcome would render several benefits to the car wash industry, including abating pollution and providing a safer working environment for everyone.

I found the link to that study here:

CONSUMER WARNING
This is a consumer alert about the TRUTH in so called TOUCH-FREE Car Washing.
Your local "Touch-Free" car wash is using an ACID BATH of Hydrofluoric Acid to clean your car.

https://touchfreetruth.org/

Hydrofluoric ACID can DAMAGE WINDSHIELDS...

Hydrofluoric ACID can DAMAGE CLEAR COAT...

HONDA, GENERAL MOTORS have issued bulletins about WINDSHIELD DISTORTION coming from TOUCH-FREE car washes using buffered HYDROFLUORIC ACID... Mercedes Benz Owners Manuals warn against using "BRUSHLESS CAR WASHES"

Mercedes Benz, BMW, Infiniti Owners manual excerpts:

Mercedes-Benz:

OM-MB-Wash%20Warning.jpg

BMW:

OM-BMW-Wash%20Warning.jpg

Infinity:

OM-Infinity-Wash%20Warning.jpg

I have used brushless wash for years and never had a problem. Unless the car is a classic or worth a lot it's not a big deal. It's not like your going to keep the car for 20 years. Many other things to worry about in life that really matters.

Thanks Winston. We always wash ours at home.. or at the hand spray wash in town. But I never knew about the hydrofluoric acid! Yikes.

My 13 year old Tacoma is still pretty much a 9 out of 10... and attention to these types of details makes a big difference for those of us that keep their cars for decades.

I think though, for the most part, if you're the kind of person who leaves their car trashed on the inside.. your probably not worried about micro-scratches in the paint. :wink:

Thanks again.

I'm not physically able to hand wash my vehicle. So car washes are my only choice. There are two different ones near me, and I've never had a problem with either of them.

As with everything in life, there's the good, the bad and the ugly. You CAN find good car washes just like a mechanic.

I purchased my car new in 2011. I've washed it 3 times in 7 years. Silver/grey paint is great for hiding dirt.

When I was a kid we always had black or red cars. Had to hand wash, dry and wax those damn cars weekly. Maybe I'm still rebelling.

I purchased my car new in 2011. I've washed it 3 times in 7 years. Silver/grey paint is great for hiding dirt.

When I was a kid we always had black or red cars. Had to hand wash, dry and wax those damn cars weekly. Maybe I'm still rebelling.
Yup, I always get darkish greyish for that very reason.

Paint colors cut both ways. Black is hard to keep clean, but easy to blend & match if repairs are needed. White is easier to keep clean, but fussy with paint matching. But silver and other similar metallized colors are extremely difficult to match up and make look good. Not only does the shade have to be right, but so does the metallic content and the way its laid down. It is not uncommon to see silver cars that have been poorly repaired; that jumps right out to me...

Paint colors cut both ways. Black is hard to keep clean, but easy to blend & match if repairs are needed. White is easier to keep clean, but fussy with paint matching. But silver and other similar metallized colors are extremely difficult to match up and make look good. Not only does the shade have to be right, but so does the metallic content and the way its laid down. It is not uncommon to see silver cars that have been poorly repaired; that jumps right out to me...
The dirt hides most of the scratches ^_^

My Z4 is the third black car I've owned and no doubt dirt shows up on these things more than any other color. Between washes, I use a California Dust Buster. The red interior on this particular car was the clincher for me. And so I shall 'suffer'.

I like the way you think...

Annually, we get our cars detailed by a mobile detail service. Quite convenient. That's how I wax my cars.

Agree...some colors show less of a bit of splatter, dirt and dust. If one considers their car as just transportation that may be their choice. If one views their car or truck as more than basic transportation regular washing and occasional detailing is best in caring for the new clear coat finishes. I use a very good local automated car wash regularly. Hand wash occasionally as weather and time permit. For the incined, check out Griots or Auto Geek web sites for hand washing and finish care tips

IMG_6097.jpg

You can always go to the ghetto areas next to the coin op laundry mat that have the cheap arse pressure washers coin op. You've found a nice one if no graffiti exists or no evidence of lock smashing exists. Otherwise pack a sig Sauer or an HK and expect a legit firefight over a couple of quarters.. Head on swivel beats body lying in a ditch on the street. They used to have a saying "Welcome to Memphis." That crap on the news was called reality. A sh*thole town where gun stores got robbed by armed felons and people got shot or murdered over $4 or cars stolen. And calling the cops got the saying we're busy. Personally, I'd drive forty minutes out of town a county over to find a rural coin op car wash. I didn't care much to wash a car downtown anywhere. Stepdad said saving a few cents on gas wasn't worth the firefight. There's a lot worse places and things than a automated car wash. Insurance didn't cover bullet holes in cars either. But LOL there's me rambling.. So glad to not live in Memphis anymore. Dude I miss the BBQ there. Don't miss the crimes. I've got a eccentric silver Volvo. Flooding totaled the interior but it hardly showed dirt.

Swirls.... That one word sums up all your issues.

I'm sure I have some "issues", but swirls in my paint and sour grapes are not among them.
41fOvUY8-EL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg

We obviously come from a widely differing perspective on the topic. Hope you have a better day ahead :smile:

Good Lord. I'm currently waiting in line for a touchless car wash as I read this. :y:

You can always go to the ghetto areas next to the coin op laundry mat that have the cheap arse pressure washers coin op. You've found a nice one if no graffiti exists or no evidence of lock smashing exists. Otherwise pack a sig Sauer or an HK and expect a legit firefight over a couple of quarters.. Head on swivel beats body lying in a ditch on the street. They used to have a saying "Welcome to Memphis." That crap on the news was called reality. A sh*thole town where gun stores got robbed by armed felons and people got shot or murdered over $4 or cars stolen. And calling the cops got the saying we're busy. Personally, I'd drive forty minutes out of town a county over to find a rural coin op car wash. I didn't care much to wash a car downtown anywhere. Stepdad said saving a few cents on gas wasn't worth the firefight. There's a lot worse places and things than a automated car wash. Insurance didn't cover bullet holes in cars either. But LOL there's me rambling.. So glad to not live in Memphis anymore. Dude I miss the BBQ there. Don't miss the crimes. I've got a eccentric silver Volvo. Flooding totaled the interior but it hardly showed dirt.

"Car Wash = Crime District"... pretty sure your analogy isn't a universally truth.

It seemed that each time that the free car wash at the dealership was used, a baseball-sized dent in the passenger-side front fender was later discovered. Turns out that some bozo would bang it attempting to back a big pickup into the next parking space at the supermarket. A thousand-dollar repair job each time. Insurance covered it and waived the deductable, but I got in the habit of parking next to a cart corral or out far enough that the pickup bozos wouldn't park there. :eek:

I still do Autobell. I know they recycle the water but it still makes my "twice a year cleaning" look good. I drive older vehicles so I'm not afraid of a little brush stroke here and there. What really gripes my a$$ is just today, I went to have it done and not only did the price go up AGAIN (they do that every year) but the wash quality took a dive. My tires have the unfortunate display of white walls and since I have to deal with that (until it's time for new tires) I pre-treat them with a bottle of some "tire cleaner spray" which helps clean them pretty darn good when I run it through. As I watched through the big windows, I was waiting for those pop-up tire brush rollers to engage and work their magic. The rollers didn't function and the van went on through. I had words with an employee and they said they were uninstalled last year for some reason I didn't really catch. Then I went to the manager and asked him about it. Made him come over and look at my tires to see that they were NOT what they should have been. He too said the company did away with them and proceeded to grab a bottle of cleaner and brush to finish the job himself. $16.99 for a wash/windows inside and out/interior wipe down & vacuum, and the wash was the stage that got a bad score. Hell, that kid wiping down my exterior and interior did a better job than the car wash did. Following this post, I'll be contacting A'bell and giving them a piece of my mind. You pay more for less here, and if you don't watch what's going on, you'll prolly won't even notice.

My wife gives me hell for not using automatic washes, but I take pride and personal responsibility for my vehicle's appearance. I don't need some damn machine throwing wild cards at it. And I say this as a custom automated machine builder. Maybe I hate automated machines because I know them so well?

That said my vehicles are usually caked in dust and mud (I work down a dirt road, and it often rains here.) But when I wash them I want them washed on my terms.

Back