Why no SLS builder kits?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcadiaRockets

Unprofessional Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There is the ready to fly Estes kits, and there was the Dr Zooch out of production kit. But considering this is a current rocket and in the news and likely to capture people imagination. Why no builders kits of the NASA SLS in any form, any scale and barely any scratch built rocsims to be found. I feel like I am missing something? I would build one - just saying.

I'm not really feeling pumped about it,; it's an overbudget paperweight at this point. I think we should have handed all that cash to elon, and got our money's worth.

As much as I’d like to be there when the SLS/Artemis 1 goes up on it’s initial (and probably only) flight - probably will make the trip if there’s no conflict with family stuff - I can’t say I want a model to fly myself. But it is surprising that there isn’t at least a builder kit from Boyce Aerospace - it seems like a natural for them.

Also check AXM spacemodels for cardstock versions.

Dr. Zooch produced an SLS flying model, but it was quite a ways back when the SLS resembled the Saturn V paint scheme. eRockets now has the Zooch license, but so far only the Saturn V and Falcon Heavy are produced.

I don’t RSR/DFR Tech made an SLS kit. Not around anymore, but had nice scale kits.

Was this an alternative?

Attachments

• E0F619BF-5286-4FEB-963D-9A54B29CA30D.jpeg
    E0F619BF-5286-4FEB-963D-9A54B29CA30D.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 29
Maybe give it some time. Estes is releasing a builder's version of New Shepard. We can hope they will do the same for SLS.

John Langford showed a photo of a 1/100 SLS builders kit standing next to a Saturn V. Said it might be seen closer to when they actually launch the real thing.

Back