Why is daytime TV so incredibly bad?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
I have been retired for 6 years and if I have watched a total of a few hours of daytime TV in that time I would be surprised. How many divorce courts, paternity courts, awful hosts (Maury, Jerry, Dr. Phil, etc.) can there be? There can't be that many stupid, unprepared people for Judge Judy to yell at day after day. They have to be actors using a script.

I was never a big Oprah fan, but at least she had a show that was watchable and didn't insult your intelligence.

I love the court shows, especially Judge Judy. It's kinda fun to watch how stupid people can be... and maybe that's their attraction. My theory is that people watch them to boost their ego... "I'm not NEARLY as stupid as THAT guy!"

I love the court shows, especially Judge Judy. It's kinda fun to watch how stupid people can be... and maybe that's their attraction. My theory is that people watch them to boost their ego... "I'm not NEARLY as stupid as THAT guy!"

that is pretty much it. we also seem to love hearing people b*tch about others (big brother, and all those other "realitity contest shows"

Who in the #$%^& watches "Housewives of [insert city]"? it's just overly rich plastic gravity deifying women snarking & raging on their "friends" behind closed doors..

remember when shows taught you something? re-enforced some collective values & morals?!

I would also add, that many show budgets are now being pushed to shows that are streamed. "Cable" TV is starting to show the crap we won't pay for (so are 'forced' to go to a streaming service: Netfix, Disney, etc... )

There can't be that many stupid, unprepared people for Judge Judy to yell at day after day.

My wife can't stand Judge Judy, she's a 911 Dispatcher and says she talks to those folks all day on the phone and will never watch it for relaxation. Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

57 channels and nothing one....only now its 500 channels and even less worth watching.

It's been a LOOOOooooooonnnnggggg time since I watched anything other than Netflix, Amzn Prime, Apple TV+, or Disney+.
Except for a few sports programs, and even those, usually, off DVR.

Internet (FAANG) has sucked up the bulk of the advertisement revenue, and the programming budgets that it used to underwrite.

;-(.

Walt Disney and Mutual of Omaha, every Sunday night at Grandpa's house:):)

55 years ago:(:(
Yep, I remember those days, we also watched Wonder Woman, Bionic Woman, 6million dollar man, Emergency, Chips etc. All well written and family freindly. Not to forget, every time HeeHaw was on we watched it, great stuff).

Possibly because the housewife treated daytime like whitenoise, something to fill in the silences.
Rex

C*O*P*S is returning via streaming, so your prayers have been answered.

I can't remember who said it about daytime talk shows being all about "Making women's heads nod".

I do not have cable or satellite or an HD Antenna etc.
The only thing I use my TV for is to play DVDs or my small collection of VCR Tapes; "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" among them.

I don't watch Judge Judy ordinarily, but when I visited the folks Dad would have the TV tuned to JJ if she was on. I suspect that one reason some people bring their cases is the Hollywood mentality---"I'm gonna be on TV!!" They ignore the fact that they're looking like fools to ten million viewers. And some are simply too dumb to be believed:

Accused thief: "I never touched her purse"
Accuser: "There was <some item> in the purse"
Accused thief: "Wasn't no <item> in that purse!"
JJ, immediately: "Judgement for the plaintiff!"

I remember seeing part of an episode where a guy was trying to get money from an ex-girlfriend. Why did he need the money? To send to a Nigerian prince. Nope, not a joke.

I haven't watched any form of television since February of 2019 and I haven't missed it a bit.

Sports is about I watch on network TV. Everything else is junk or political misinformation. I watch mostly stuff on YouTube for entertainment or information. Be extremely skeptical of anything resembling the "news".

Back