Why does "GLOSS CLEAR" come out MATTE???!?!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueTrane2028

Reaction score
I've never done clear on a rocket before, figured I'd try. "Gloss" apparently means flat.

Guess I won't be doing that again...

How do you guys do it?

Also makes stickers jump out like a sore thumb. GRR! At least it was "only" a basic Nova Payloader (and I have 3 more unbuilt).

How long has paint been drying? High humidity sometimes fogs the clear.

and how heavy/thick were the coats?
i do it when the temps are in the 70's,humidity is low. light coat first coat then medium coat. allow clear to tack before next coat- i spray on some scrap where i can push my finger into it. i want to see my finger print without using much pressure.

Generally, I apply gloss clear in at least three coats. The first two are lightly misted on, waiting at least one minute between coats, and yes, they appear flat/matte at that point. The final coat goes on relatively heavy, since you've built up a layer of tacky clear coat for it to adhere to in order to minimize the chance of it running. It's this final, heavy coat that yields the gloss result.

Gloss is gloss....also specify what brand did you use. I have used Krylon, gloss and it is gloss. There is also hi-gloss., which I also used. And nothing wrong with matte. Not every rocket needs to be shiny

Generally, I apply gloss clear in at least three coats. The first two are lightly misted on, waiting at least one minute between coats, and yes, they appear flat/matte at that point. The final coat goes on relatively heavy, since you've built up a layer of tacky clear coat for it to adhere to in order to minimize the chance of it running. It's this final, heavy coat that yields the gloss result.
Ah, thanks for this tip. I'm getting better at my painting but still occasionally get runs; I was missing the light tacky coat step (or doing it inadvertently correctly depending on the time I allow between coats).

Well, it sounds like I have been doing it all wrong this past week. I have been waiting for a day between coats and when I try and get a gloss coat, the paint is either running or looking like lizard skin. It doesn't help I have been doing it in the yard, in the sunlight so they will dry faster!

I will try again tomorrow with multiple coats over a few hours.

Are you sure it isn't semi-gloss? I made the mistake with Watco. I read "crystal clear" on the top but missed the "semi-gloss" on the bottom. It ends up looking cloudy. Lesson learned...

No, it's definitely Gloss. I bought some more at HD yesterday and they have Gloss Black and Gloss White in larger cans at 25% free, so I picked up three of each. I sanded down my alligator-skin nose cone this morning and painted it again with the Gloss Black. It looks better, but I think I will need to give it another coat.

Back