Why do they pick on the rockets???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwattles

Reaction score
In another article where rockets are painted in a bad light (see this thread, we read about an incident where a reporter covering a fire highlighted the fact that rocket motors contributed to a fire that was already burning in a neighboring apartment (started by some unsupervised very young children).

Now, we have this article, and once again, they pick on rockets right off the bat.

Is there some kind of conspiracy amongst reporters to badmouth and demonize even the very word, "rocket"?

Yes, I know I'm being oversensitive here, but it just seems a bit odd to have 2 in one week!

WW

cause theres nothing else the reporters can report on...

its like in summer when nothing big happens on the news for a week, ever notice that there always seems to be a shark attack then and only then?

It is political.
Examples:
When a crime is commited with a gun, more emphesis is given to the gun than the crime itself.
An automobile accident involving an SUV gets the headline "SUV causes accident!!"
Rockets are treated this same way.

It never makes any since how people blame the company when there are warning everywhere for products to be use with parent supervision. The warning should read, "If your not willing to spend time with your children, Don't buy this product."

On a side note-
Go to this web site www.airburstrockets.com and check them out. I think I want to put this on my Christmas List. They can reach up 1000ft. The disks are only $3.95 for 60. That's a lot cheaper than engines. Might be fun to play with.

"WATCH said the rocket..... comes packaged with numerous safety warnings, including: 'Misuse of this product can cause SEVERE INJURY, including loss of an eye or death.' "

...the man - and the organization - are idiots. If I misused a knitting needle, I could severely injure myself. The problem lies not with the knitting needle, but with the stupid fool misusing it.

We need a Michael Moore style documentarian to ambush-interview these idiots and expose them for the dimwits they are. "Sir, you are aware that by launching the rocket indoors, you're using the toy in DIRECT VIOLATION of the toy's directions, not to mention in violation of every rule of plain old common sense?! Are you REALLY that stupid?"

Hey a sharp pencil can be pretty dangerous too!

Every school kid has one and the schools even have "sharpening devices" for them in every classroom!

I think the schools may be encouraging dangerous behavior!

"Sir, you are aware that by launching the rocket indoors, you're using the toy in DIRECT VIOLATION of the toy's directions, not to mention in violation of every rule of plain old common sense?!

What if it's cold out and you want to play indoors?

Wait - isn't he risking the safety of himself and his audience by launching this thing INSIDE!!!! Seems to me that man should be sued for reckless endangerment.

Give me a break, people. If it is used as instructed, it's perfectly safe. This is the reason many products (like spray paint and cleaners) have labels on them that say something to the effect of "Use of this product in any wat other than recommended is a violation of federal law.". If you play with it properly, you roll you dice, you move your mice - no one gets hurt. It all comes down to the fact that we're not allowed to be children anymore. From now on, we have to be born with a Harvard MBA. Let the children play, and let the parents make the choices!!!!!

Loopy

I saw a spot on TV about this. The Director of WATCH actually was stupid enough to launch the rocket inside, and was complaining the unpredicatability of the launch time. What a moron.

This thread motivated me to send him the following e-mail. You might want to send them one as well. Their e-mail address is [email protected]

To Whom It May Concern:

As a professional aerospace researcher and a member of the National Association of Rocketry’s Standards and Testing Committee, one of the two nationally recognized authorities that certifies the safety of model and high power rocket motors for consumer use in the US, I am appalled at your lack of professionalism and grandstanding.

While this toy does not come under our control, it appears that there are multiple safety warnings on the safe use of this product. It appears that your director, Mr. James Swartz, did not take the time to read the directions for this toy, and was actually stupid enough to fire a rocket inside a building at a press conference. Shame on him. What was he thinking?

https://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20041117/media_nm/leisure_toys_dc_3

I have not personally seen the product, but their website states “Always launch in a flat area, free of trees, bushes, electrical lines and low flying aircraft.” I have every confidence that the toy’s instruction sheet mentions this as well. Whether explicitly stated or not, this means you don’t use this product indoors. This toy is marketed as “Totally fun – for adults and kids with adult supervision “on their website, and I’m sure the same statement is on the product.

As Mr. Swartz is an adult, it would appear that the instructions need to make it clear that an adult is also required to read and follow the directions before operating the toy.

There are lots of unsafe toys without any labeling at all. I don’t see how this toy makes anyone’s Worst Toy List, however I think I’ll nominate Mr. Swartz’s press conference to the Darwin Awards as one of the 10 most stupid PR stunts done in 2004.

Sincerely,

Bob Krech, NAR 78096 SR
Member, CMASS and NAR S&T
TARC 2005 Mentor

https://www.nar.org/
https://www.cmass.org/
https://nar.org/NARsandt.html
https://www.aia-aerospace.org/aianews/features/team_america/index.cfm

Robert Harry Krech, Principal Scientist
Manager ATOX Irradiation Services, Inc.
Physical Sciences, Inc.
20 New England Business Center
Andover, MA 01810 USA
https://www.psicorp.com/products/services_fast.shtml

Originally posted by missileman
It is political.
Examples:
When a crime is commited with a gun, more emphesis is given to the gun than the crime itself.
An automobile accident involving an SUV gets the headline "SUV causes accident!!"
Rockets are treated this same way.

All correct, but it leaves out the implication. People accept this kind of news because it allows them to think in such a way as to avoid personal responsibility.

"People can't watch their kids all the time."

With an object that says right on it is dangerous?

If a parent buys a kid something like that and then lets them play with it unsupervised, they deserve to be put in prison for reckless endangerment and shouldn't be allowed to raise kids. But thanks to media coverage like this, refusing to question a self-appointed social watchdog's assumptions, it makes such behavior acceptable.

People CAN watch their kids all the time with something like this. The fact is they WON'T. The excuses are legion, but the fact remains.

"It takes a village to raise a child" but the problem is that the village is full of nutballs.

I can tell you just why they pick on rockets...

It's because they (media and press) don't understand them, and don't want to understand them.

Example:

Many years ago in an earlier life I was into car stereo. Not just liking a few tunes when going to work, but the full-on concert hall on wheels. Sound quality was my goal, and anything that would make the system sound better was fair game to be incorporated. I custom made trim panels for the doors, trunk, dashboard and everything in betweem in my quest for the best sound. Hundreds of hours of work, listening, and re-working went into my car. It was good; I still have the trophies won at national competitions. :cool: However, everyone I knew who wasn't involved in car stereo comptetions was on my case... too loud... mobile disco... waste of money... pointless... I could go on. Once someone actually sat in my (or any of the other show cars) and listened to their favorite music, their attitudes changed, but the resistance to just listen was great. People were afraid to sit in the passenger seat and listen in case I'd deafen them. National media didn't help at all. We were all labelled as noise-makers... boom-boys (and girls)... troublemakers. Police would wander around shows, writing noise violation tickets for anyone playing their stereos.

The short answer is the media and press took the easy way out. Instead of learning about something, it was easier to label the people involved as crazy... stupid... irrestponsible.

In the years since then, I drifed away from car stereo and towards other things. First was computers - people laughed at my watercooled and overclocked AMD Athlon monster that I'm writing this on. Then came rocketry. A co-worker saw a copy of "Extreme Rocketry" on my desk. The first words out of his mouth... "you joining al queda?" WTF??? I invited him to a launch, but so far he's cried off each time.

People and the media would rather label everyone who does something different as crazy or dangerous rather than "waste time" learning something different.

People and the media would rather label everyone who does something different as crazy or dangerous rather than "waste time" learning something different.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it upsets the pig!

Hey, I dropped my laptop on my toe the other day. This thing should be banned!:rolleyes:

Well, today it is a headline on Netscape. . Oddly enough, the rocket isnt on the list.

Back