Why do restaurant waiters suddenly use "we" when they mean "you?"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are encouraged to do so. I like this, because I often interact with people around the world I haven't met, whose gender I don't know and can't reliably infer from their names. Often they don't have a picture in Teams/Outlook and it helps to know what they prefer.
Perfect example of that is my uncle. He was (retired) a hospital administrator. He changed his name from Lynn to Pat. He said because he was tired of getting his mail addressed as Ms Lynn B. Once changing to Pat he started getting his mail addressed as Ms Pat B. Sometimes you are not allowed to win!

Only speculating here but I think it has to do with "gender pronouns" (Don't even get me started.)
Uh.... no. "You" is not gendered, so replacing "you" with "we" doesn't change anything in that respect.

I recall hearing servers use "we" since I can remember going to restaurants as a kid. They didn't *all* do it then, and they don't all do it now. But some do. It doesn't bother me, but I agree it is a slightly strange affectation. I'm not sure why it would bother anyone *that much*.

Last edited:
Perfect example of that is my uncle. He was (retired) a hospital administrator. He changed his name from Lynn to Pat. He said because he was tired of getting his mail addressed as Ms Lynn B. Once changing to Pat he started getting his mail addressed as Ms Pat B. Sometimes you are not allowed to win!

Well, Pat was just asking for trouble!

I'm not sure why it would bother anyone *that much*.

Easy, because things I can't explain drive me crazy 🤪

Either it's an incorrect use of language becoming more common (other examples being wrong use of the words comprise or patronize), or maybe it actually is a correct form due to reasons I don't know.

Ok, next time it happens I'm asking the server, after finishing the tipping process so they won't wonder if their tip depends on their answer. Enquiring minds want to know!

Easy, because things I can't explain drive me crazy 🤪

Either it's an incorrect use of language becoming more common (other examples being wrong use of the words comprise or patronize), or maybe it actually is a correct form due to reasons I don't know.

Ok, next time it happens I'm asking the server, after finishing the tipping process so they won't wonder if their tip depends on their answer. Enquiring minds want to know!
You could also say since "we" are splitting the tab, "you'll" be pitching in a third?

*Or*, you can just let it slide, and avoid putting your server on the spot by asking them a question for which they probably have no answer.

When I was a kid and used to say “we” in a way that would necessarily involve her, as in, “We should go to the store and buy some ice cream.” My mom used to say, “What’s this we crap? You got a frog in your pocket?”

I think "what would WE like, what will WE be having" etc. is an appropriate question from the waitress to someone that just said WE would like to order now.

As we and you are both free of gender connotations, probably not.

There are the little-know gender specific forms of “we” for a group of men or a group of women. The subjective pronouns are “whee“ and “swee”, objective pronouns are “whim” and “whir”, and possessive are “whiz” and “whirs”.

For example, “Whee want y‘all to bring whim whiz drinks immediately.”

A story from years ago when I had long hair. My wife and I had just sat down at our table in a restaurant. The waiter walked up behind me and asked, “What would you ladies like today?” Then turned bright red when he noticed that I wasn’t a lady. We got great service for the rest of the meal.

A: It's been happening for decades, you've only recently noticed because everyone is sensitive about everything lately.

B: As someone said earlier, "We are ready to order now" "Okay, what would we like?"

C: Would you prefer "Hey old guy, what's your last meal request, 'cause this "food" ain't exactly life prolonging?" (Since all restaurant food is overly fatted and salted for flavor)

My place of employment is requiring that we place our preferred pronoun on our email signature. I told my manager I will do so eventually. My preferred will be "It."
50 years ago my college buddy, asked to identify his ethnicity, didn’t like the choices (“Caucasian”?), so he wrote in “Gaelic”. He caught a bit of grief.

I agree fully with you Marc.
That approach if received by myself and my wife while dining together would be met with a response, very politely but very directly given to the server, that he or she would not forget, for that evening at a minimum. It would generally come from me as I most often, but not always, the vocal one. She can hold her own very well, but I usually get to places like this first. Hopefully, it would cease his or her use of that method of communication with paying customers. My wife is not a "we" unless she and I are talking about something together, but no third party will use that term with us.

I agree fully with you Marc.
That approach if received by myself and my wife while dining together would be met with a response, very politely but very directly given to the server, that he or she would not forget, for that evening at a minimum. It would generally come from me as I most often, but not always, the vocal one. She can hold her own very well, but I usually get to places like this first. Hopefully, it would cease his or her use of that method of communication with paying customers. My wife is not a "we" unless she and I are talking about something together, but no third party will use that term with us.

During this conversation, would you mention a very particular set of skills?

Back