Why aren't there many 18 mm composites?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, cjl, if you can find a job every year, especially one that lasts as long as 3 months, then you are doing better than the vast majority of us. $200-$300 per year is a generous rocketry budget for me. It would be nice to be able to devote more money to it, but then, it would be nice to be able to devote more money to a lot of things...

Rocketry doesn't have to be expensive. You can do it pretty cheaply, as a matter of fact.

Mark K.

Absolutely. Rocketry can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be. I do enjoy the large motors, and I love the ability to throw a 30+lb rocket over 3 miles in the air, but small rockets are also fun. As you can probably guess from my motor usage tally so far this year in my signature, I've only flown small rockets so far this year, and I enjoy them immensely as well. The variety available in rocketry is excellent, and I love all rocket motors, big or small.

Absolutely. Rocketry can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be. I do enjoy the large motors, and I love the ability to throw a 30+lb rocket over 3 miles in the air, but small rockets are also fun. As you can probably guess from my motor usage tally so far this year in my signature, I've only flown small rockets so far this year, and I enjoy them immensely as well. The variety available in rocketry is excellent, and I love all rocket motors, big or small.

I can say over the last year I have started want to go BACK to the 38mm and under catagory. Its nice to have an M, N O flight once or twice a year but being able to just throw some stuff in the truck quick and fly is nice too. and its easy on the wallet :p

Ben

I can say over the last year I have started want to go BACK to the 38mm and under catagory. Its nice to have an M, N O flight once or twice a year but being able to just throw some stuff in the truck quick and fly is nice too. and its easy on the wallet :p

Ben
Agreed. I recently built a Wildman Jr., and I also am currently working on some sort of 4" Loc kit with a 38mm mount (I can't remember which one). I've also got a ton of smaller (18 and 24mm) kits in various stages of build and paint. It's nice to fly the smaller stuff - the lower stress, lower preparation time, and lower cost make a nice break from the high stress of the big flights.

Of course, I have my L3 planned in a couple months, so who am I to talk about not flying big rockets...

That's why I have been so hesitent to continue deeper into MPR , it's getting expencive.....time to take a step back:D

Back