Why are rocket companies still using USPS?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the package is confirmed to be mailed to your address? The reason I mentioned Amazon was that they could've nabbed a number for an Amazon order, which typically reads like a normal USPS tracking number, or at least the route my packages take up here does. If they're tracing the tracking directly to your house that's a bit sketchy, but I've gone through the same stuff with UPS and FedEx as well, so I'm not sure that's indicative of USPS having anything to do with this.

I'd say with 99% certainty that site is a scam, though. It's pretty spot on to the cookie cutter ripoff shop.
Knowing what I know now, I agree this was a scam. Other than the fact that I was not familiar this company (and most of the other rocket shops), there were no other "Red Flags" as noted by the BBB; the prices were in line with those of other vendors offering similar oop items.

But in that BBB scam alert they were talking about the scammer providing a tracking number to a different address. This is different: my local Postmaster INSISTED that she had talked to the person who supposedly delivered the package on that day. Clearly this did not happen, but she still refuses to admit it! Note, I had no other USPS packages delivered or scheduled for delivery within a week of the date the tracking claimed, and I hadn't placed an order from Amazon in over a month at the time (or since). I just got a very quick shipment from an even shadier-looking ebay vendor yesterday, so it's tough deciding who's legit these days.

Knowing what I know now, I agree this was a scam. Other than the fact that I was not familiar this company (and most of the other rocket shops), there were no other "Red Flags" as noted by the BBB; the prices were in line with those of other vendors offering similar oop items.

But in that BBB scam alert they were talking about the scammer providing a tracking number to a different address. This is different: my local Postmaster INSISTED that she had talked to the person who supposedly delivered the package on that day. Clearly this did not happen, but she still refuses to admit it! Note, I had no other USPS packages delivered or scheduled for delivery within a week of the date the tracking claimed, and I hadn't placed an order from Amazon in over a month at the time (or since). I just got a very quick shipment from an even shadier-looking ebay vendor yesterday, so it's tough deciding who's legit these days.
Oh, my mistake, if she's saying it was delivered to your house that sounds like an issue. Maybe with all the crud going on with delayed packages she's just yessing people to death and hoping they go away? I'm not sure if you could even call USPS and ask for the street address where the package was headed, I don't think they'll give that info out, so it'd be hard to verify either way. They might have a method to file a complaint about your local postmaster that could get it looked into? That's a very weird situation and the sketchy site just complicates all of it, I hope you get it straightened out!

Is it me or since the election has the USPS gotten faster in it's delivery? My last 2 rocketry orders ( one from LOC and one from Apogee) have arrived at my door in days not weeks.

Mike

Is it me or since the election has the USPS gotten faster in it's delivery? My last 2 rocketry orders ( one from LOC and one from Apogee) have arrived at my door in days not weeks.
Or, y'know, the Christmas logjam is mostly cleared out.

I've had back luck with USPS but it seems like my luck is changing. Ordered something from ACSupply (my first order from them) and it shipped out Tuesday and should be here today. I guess they're still working on backlogs in certain parts of the states though.

My Mail is usually pretty good here, along with UPS.

Of course sometimes a little patience is needed.

Fedex is horrendous around here :(
They will return to sender or leave it at a neighbour's house. They claim they can't find my house.
So that said, if I find out a vendor is using FedEx, I try to have it held at Walgreens for pick up.

I've had back luck with USPS but it seems like my luck is changing. Ordered something from ACSupply (my first order from them) and it shipped out Tuesday and should be here today. I guess they're still working on backlogs in certain parts of the states though.
Doug, owner of AC (believe he took it over from his father), is absolutely stellar in customer service. Order from late November that was delayed a looooooong time by USPS was refunded, though eventually (after a lot of double-speak from USPS reps) arrived. He had a ton of Xmas orders that USPS made problems for him. I reordered many of the items (2 weeks arrival time--USPS tracking updates are worthless), but let Doug know my initial order finally arrived--and he comped me!

Anyways, his prices on everything Estes (especially bulk packs of C motors or lower for LPR, are 40% off MSRP, with free shipping over $100; that's nice... Only BP motors I don't buy from him (usually make my own) are E/F because even on Es (including 24mm) he needs to charge Hazmat, whereas Hobbylinc and others don't. His base prices for E/F are very low, but if you're not doing a club/shared order, it's hard to stomach that $37 Hazmat charge. Especially when you can build more powerful BP motors for cheap. My tubes, spindles, rammers, and hammer? No Hazmat charge. My 5.5"-long, 3/4" ID BP endburners cost about $2 each, tsk tsk. 7.5"-long coreburners (typical fireworking rockets for lifting aerial shells) are around $2.25 perhaps, maybe half of that for the price of the tube (if you don't roll your own--a subspecialty to get it just right--I don't). Willow charcoal is fantastic.

USPS needs major improvements. Doug at AC is a really good dude.

Last edited:
"USPS needs major improvements "

They keep throwing money at it and it just gets worse. I don't think there's any fixing it now it's way too late.

Mike

I ordered a motor case from Loki late Monday night. It shipped USPS by Wednesday morning and arrived this morning - ahead of the original estimated delivery date of Monday. I didn't get reloads, so it went priority mail, but package delivery for my last several orders from various places seems to be back to normal for my part of the Midwest.

I've been using USPS for years and will continue to do so. My Click and Ship account has served me well. I know people griped at the slowed service due to unprecedented holiday backlog, but what do you expect during a pandemic? A little patience goes a long way.

I have (had) a UPS account. They're service was fine, but USPS was cheaper. UPS recently sent me an email saying that if I didn't ship something with them by a certain date, they'd close my account. Tacky way to try and get my business if you ask me. That's private enterprise for you.

Am sure I will get banned, but I'll say it anyway. First step in fixing the Postal Service is get rid of the Union that protects the incompetent.
Not sure it is a Union issue or Federal Employee issue. Look they operate at a lost ($); Congressional Oversight; and an extremely large Country (3k miles across) with over 350 million people. Perfection is impossible and US Postal is better than a lot of other countries.

Latest posts

Back