Why are Boeing 737 engine intakes flattened along the bottom edge?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Winston, Feb 26, 2018.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Mar 2, 2018 #31

GregGleason

GregGleason

GregGleason

I love the 737 airframe. Seems like it is the DC-3 of commercial passenger jets.

Greg

2. Mar 2, 2018 #32

GuySmith

GuySmith

GuySmith

I may still have my aerodynamics notes from back then. I can check my files if you like.

3. Mar 2, 2018 #33

BEC

BEC

BEC

Thanks. But no need unless you really feel like it. It's more for my own curiosity than anything else.

That certainly could be the document number.....

4. Mar 3, 2018 #34

mach7

mach7

mach7

My understanding is that the classic had the virtually the same wing as the -200 (very slightly larger). It's not a supercritical wing. That wing came with the NGs.

The NGs main gear are slightly taller than the classics, allowing the the round inlet.

The MAX can't lengthen the gear anymore, it would become problematical (unstable) in certain ground situations and would not fit in the fuselage . Thats the reason Boeing could not stretch the airframe beyond the -900 and why the MAX 10 needs the trailing link gear.

I still cant find any real descriptions/photos of the MAX 10 gear. I'm very interested in how Boeing solves this issue.

5. Mar 3, 2018 #35

BEC

BEC

BEC

Mark,

Your comments on the wing are more consistent with what I thought I knew.

On the MAX only the nose gear was lengthened (and making that work in that tight lower 41 section was a trick I can tell you!) The mains are (save for the -10) just beefed-up-where-needed NG mains. I want to see what the -10 gear really looks like as well. Something changed right after I retired to make the integration of the main gear easier (considering what's in that wheel well, when I left it was going to be quite the project). But I don't know what was changed to avoid getting into all the stuff that's on and near the rear spar (forward wall of the main wheel well) such as aileron actuation, main hydraulic reservoirs, and more.